Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 AM

136 posts, read 843,086 times

Advertisements

Are there any good magazines for Tween girls?

I prefer one which does not emphasize much on beauty/make-up/fashion and other things which are more appropriate for teenage girls.

Thanks,
Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
I like the American Girl magazine.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
If you are looking for inspirational stories that will give her something to think about: Guideposts. (Christian magazine. I've been reading it since I was 12ish.)

Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
I 2nd American Girl. My dd has always been into horses and also loves Young Rider.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroldixit View Post
Are there any good magazines for Tween girls?

I prefer one which does not emphasize much on beauty/make-up/fashion and other things which are more appropriate for teenage girls.

Thanks,
Carol
New Moon Girls Online - New Moon Magazine

New Moon is a magazine intended for girls aged 8–12 years old. It is published in Duluth, Minnesota, United States on a bi-monthly basis by New Moon Girl Media.

The first issue of the magazine was published in March, 1993. It was started by Nancy Gruver, Joe Kelly and their daughters Mavis & Nia. The magazine consists of 36 pages and contains no advertisements. It is edited by the Girls Editorial Board, a group of girls ages 8 and up. About 85 percent of the magazine's content is contributed by girls, and submissions from readers are encouraged. Submissions from boys are not printed, except for letters.
New Moon is based on the belief that girls need to express themselves and need to be respected. It is a small company, and in September, 2008 created a COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act)-compliant online creative community for girls that is fully moderated by adults. Magazine issues come in the mail every two months and are sold in many chain and independent bookstores in the US and Canada. (Barnes & Noble carries it.)
New Moon's Girls Editorial Board chooses a different theme for each issue and features articles that relate to the theme. The board are girls ages 8–14 from the US, Canada and sometimes other countries.
Regular departments include "Body Language," which explains the physical and emotional changes that happen during puberty; "Global Village," which introduces readers to girls from other countries; "Women's Work," which profiles a woman in an interesting profession; "Herstory," which introduces readers to little-known women from history; "Girls on the Go," which covers girls' activism and adventure stories; and "Science Side Effects," which contains a science experiment girls can try at home.
The online community includes many of the articles published in the magazine over all the years. It is fully moderated by specially-trained adults and is safe and appropriate for girls ages 8 and up. The heaviest contributors of girl-created content to the site is by girls ages 10 and up. Girls of all ages are welcome with parent/guardian permission

Old 09-08-2011, 12:59 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
I second, New Moon.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
New Moon Girls Online - New Moon Magazine

New Moon is a magazine intended for girls aged 8–12 years old. It is published in Duluth, Minnesota, United States on a bi-monthly basis by New Moon Girl Media.

The first issue of the magazine was published in March, 1993. It was started by Nancy Gruver, Joe Kelly and their daughters Mavis & Nia. The magazine consists of 36 pages and contains no advertisements. It is edited by the Girls Editorial Board, a group of girls ages 8 and up. About 85 percent of the magazine's content is contributed by girls, and submissions from readers are encouraged. Submissions from boys are not printed, except for letters.
New Moon is based on the belief that girls need to express themselves and need to be respected. It is a small company, and in September, 2008 created a COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act)-compliant online creative community for girls that is fully moderated by adults. Magazine issues come in the mail every two months and are sold in many chain and independent bookstores in the US and Canada. (Barnes & Noble carries it.)
New Moon's Girls Editorial Board chooses a different theme for each issue and features articles that relate to the theme. The board are girls ages 8–14 from the US, Canada and sometimes other countries.
Regular departments include "Body Language," which explains the physical and emotional changes that happen during puberty; "Global Village," which introduces readers to girls from other countries; "Women's Work," which profiles a woman in an interesting profession; "Herstory," which introduces readers to little-known women from history; "Girls on the Go," which covers girls' activism and adventure stories; and "Science Side Effects," which contains a science experiment girls can try at home.
The online community includes many of the articles published in the magazine over all the years. It is fully moderated by specially-trained adults and is safe and appropriate for girls ages 8 and up. The heaviest contributors of girl-created content to the site is by girls ages 10 and up. Girls of all ages are welcome with parent/guardian permission
Ooo, I absolutely love this.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,533 times
why not mags with beauty advise and fashion advise...

Old 09-09-2011, 09:35 AM

136 posts, read 843,086 times
Thanks for all those suggestions - I researched on Amazon as well - "New Moon" seems just perfect but a trifle expensive compared to the others. What sucks is that you get only 6 issues per year!

@ 30STM: "why not mags with beauty advise and fashion advise..."
For two reasons (1) beauty & fashion advice doesn't interest my tween. Yet. She will tune off. Might work for a lot of other girls though. (2) I have seen that magazines that emphasize beauty & fashion also push a lot of products/carry advertising which targets kids. Not needed at this age.

Amazon reviews on "Girls' Life Magazine" scared me...here is a sample

- Girl's Life used to be a wonderful magazine, with articles that were helpful and fun. However, lately Girl's Life has been turning the focus of the magazine from the helpful and fun side of you to the gossipy and fashion-obsessed side of you. Their latest issue has been the worst. There was a three-page article on how to give the perfect kiss!

- Letter & discussion on should I lose my virginity to my boyfriend before his family moves out of town

my tween is not ready for this !

Old 09-09-2011, 10:12 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroldixit View Post
Thanks for all those suggestions - I researched on Amazon as well - "New Moon" seems just perfect but a trifle expensive compared to the others. What sucks is that you get only 6 issues per year!

@ 30STM: "why not mags with beauty advise and fashion advise..."
For two reasons (1) beauty & fashion advice doesn't interest my tween. Yet. She will tune off. Might work for a lot of other girls though. (2) I have seen that magazines that emphasize beauty & fashion also push a lot of products/carry advertising which targets kids. Not needed at this age.

Amazon reviews on "Girls' Life Magazine" scared me...here is a sample

- Girl's Life used to be a wonderful magazine, with articles that were helpful and fun. However, lately Girl's Life has been turning the focus of the magazine from the helpful and fun side of you to the gossipy and fashion-obsessed side of you. Their latest issue has been the worst. There was a three-page article on how to give the perfect kiss!

- Letter & discussion on should I lose my virginity to my boyfriend before his family moves out of town

my tween is not ready for this !
That review you quoted above is exactly why I thought to myself "why on earth would someone be seeking out magazines for a tween?!"

Some the suggestions you recieved do appear like a good selection though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting