Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times

Advertisements

Good morning! Still waking up here.

Wondering how long to keep Mr.Hopes in the doghouse.

Asked him to do the dishes last night since I cooked dinner and he gave me an eyeroll and said something about having an able bodied DS upstairs. I was like really? Really? He kept it up and I calmly said, "Fine. I won't cook anymore" and walked out of the room. He quickly started doing dishes. When I came back into the room, I said, "That's not going to get you out of the dog house." On the surface, it seems he has a legitimate argument, but he resisted division of labor 15 years ago when the kids weren't old enough to do chores. Hubby's are like having another child sometimes.

And since he's in the dog house, I find myself thinking of his other infractions. Have you ever taken your hubby to do something and he was pleasant but not enthusiastic? Sort of a bump on a log? Politely standing nearby but not really participating in the outing because he's not really interested? I was thinking, how would they feel if we were less than enthusiastic about things they want to do, such as sex? Don't worry, I won't do that to him. But seriously, it's great to join me on an outing but what's the point if you're going to make it clear you're not interested in being there.

That playhouse reminds me of my childhood. When I lived in NC, my neighbor had a large playhouse that was an exact replica of the family home.

Zimbo, your South Africa vaca sounds awesome!

Julia, parents wouldn't get away with that here because school personnel are out there enforcing traffic. It's crazy people don't have common sense to create safety on their own. School drop off/pick ups can be so dangerous.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
Morning everyone. Rough morning so far!?

Julia - I never had issues when DS was in elementary but oh my - when he was in middle school I DREADED any time I had to go pick him up or drop him off. It was a nightmare. Everyone pretty much only concerned about themselves..... thank goodness he rode the bus most of the time or I might have gone postal on some people.

I had a playhouse as a child as well. Loved that thing. Had a little kitchen and couch...everything was real, just small!

Hopes - I say go ahead and let him out of the doghouse. I think you scared him sufficiently by threatening not to cook!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good Morning All!

How is everyone today?

I sound like one of the few that enjoy pop-in guests, I really do. But I could care less what they think of the state of my house. Hopefully people that do pop in here would keep any housekeeping assessments to themselves.

I saw a great fridge the other day with the 2 freezer draws, and wondered about capacity. I somtimes think the huge freezers just accumulate stuff that you can't find. I think we'll go French door too, but cold water is a must with the hot summers.
Normally, I don't care about pop-ins, but this thime they had too much going against them. I was still not completely better from being sick so I was still grumpy. I really did look THAT bad. They stayed several hours after I told them I was sick. This was the first time I was meeting this woman. I would like to make a slightly better impression than a disaster of a house, and someone who doesn't know what a shower is.

Ugh. I think I am even more annoyed because I am usually so laid back about that stuff and this time it really annoyed me.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Good morning, Zim. I am just looking around for my flame-retardant outfit. I think it's going to come in handy later.

Sorry, couldn't resist a little boob humor!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Hopes - thanks, I'm excited too. DH cooks a lot, so can't guilt him into dishes too often. Dammit.

Nummy - I hear ya'.

Julie - drop off/pick up is a nightmare at our school. My kids ride the bus 99% of the time, and when I do drive them, I'm always reminded why I hate it. My personal pet-peeve is when parents choose curb-side drop-off, and still get out of their car. Like a teacher/parent on duty is not capable of opening and closing a car door. Helicopter much?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
JJ- I sympathize. I hate the pick-up/drop-off line at school. There is always someone who pulls ahead of the whole line and parks in the red zone right in front, as if rules don't apply to them. I can't find a video to post, but it reminds me of Mr. Mom with Michael Keaton - "You're doing it wrong."

Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Hopes, DH and I used to always trade off cooking and dishes. Since I've been home, I end up doing most of it. Since he ended up doing them, I probably wouldn't leave him in the dog house for too long.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Morning, ladies. I need to catch up again - man, we're prolific!!

Julia - LOVE the playhouse and love the babysitting even more! Thanks!!

Ugh - sorry to hear about the drop-off/pick-up lines at school - that sounds maddening!

Zim - like the flame retardant metal bra! So exciting about your trip!! How long will you be there? Are you getting super psyched?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 AM

Ooh, I nearly forgot. Happy International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Zim - So exciting about your trip!! How long will you be there? Are you getting super psyched?
I am getting excited, trying to block out the fact that a fair number of people going are morons. Our FB page is filled with stuff that makes a person go . Anyway, I'm staying in a suite with my 2 pals, and one of their SO's, can't wait. I'll be there just over 3 weeks.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Ooh, I nearly forgot. Happy International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

I am getting excited, trying to block out the fact that a fair number of people going are morons. Our FB page is filled with stuff that makes a person go . Anyway, I'm staying in a suite with my 2 pals, and one of their SO's, can't wait. I'll be there just over 3 weeks.
Yar, matey!

Oh, super fun! Well, aside from the morons, of course. I hope you have an awesome time! Do you have a ton of plans for your time there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting