Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This.

Sorry working an hourly job as a security guard at the mall and I'm supposed to call you "officer"?
Umm... No.

I might call you Paul though.
I am not a mall cop.
I do not work for the mall. I am contracted by places AT the mall.
But I am no mall cop.

And this place puts you lots of different places besides malls, there's distribution centers, office buildings, high rise apartments, and lots of other places. My friend is contracted by STARZ entertainment and deals A LOT with the police/fire and she gets a lot of experience.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times

Anything else will get me banned. I think I'll go fold laundry. And wash the floor. Then the toilets need cleaning so I'll be nice and busy.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Best of luck to you Txt.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,577,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Being a cashier at walmart IS a ****ty entry-level position but I was saying securitas ISN'T. I got it because of my experience.
Well good luck then, I hope you make the most of this opportunity.

And move out of momma's house.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM

I was just putting away the Thanksgiving groceries and there in the back of the pantry was an unopened bag of Hickory Farms candies. The pink, green and yellow mints. Obviously left over from last year but....... still yummy! Happy dance!!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know it was suppose to be in January but my future roommate(18) fell in love with her boyfriend(26) of 3 months, is now sporting an engagement ring and is making plans to move in with him and his 1 1/2 year old son.
I missed this in all the excitement of a career in law enforcement. This shouldn't stop you. If life with Meanie Mom and the Bathroom Hogging Brother is all that awful that you have "had it" you should still be moving out ASAP. TG's house. Friend's couch. Sofa in the lobby of an apartment building you'll be keeping safe. (Sorry, txt. But you've put my brain into overdrive. )

Tell you what txt. You keep that job A YEAR and I'll know you are committed to something. So to speak.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I missed this in all the excitement of a career in law enforcement. This shouldn't stop you. If life with Meanie Mom and the Bathroom Hogging Brother is all that awful that you have "had it" you should still be moving out ASAP. TG's house. Friend's couch. Sofa in the lobby of an apartment building you'll be keeping safe. (Sorry, txt. But you've put my brain into overdrive. )

Tell you what txt. You keep that job A YEAR and I'll know you are committed to something. So to speak.
When I have something I like I stay at it. When I don't I find something better a move on, I am not the kind of person who stays in one job just to be working if I don't like something I will find something I do like and move out.
When I worked at American Eagle I LOVED my job, I LOVED the people I worked with, I had an amazing 40% discount, great hours that worked around school and sports. I was there a year.
I worked at Bed, Bath and Beyond and loved it, they just didn't give me enough hours, I was there 3 months shy of a year.

I'll try to still move out, which will be more possible with a better job but at the same time right this very second, even this week, even this month ITS NOT FEASIBLE.

If I am going to do this, it's going to be done right. I am not going at this half-cocked and with my head up my ass. Last thing I want to be doing is being completely broke and end up in a lot of financial trouble that I can't get myself out of. I am not about to ruin my rental history or anything else.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,730,327 times
Although this is a chat thread, please remember that the Terms of Service still apply here. The only thing that's okay is to be off topic for the forum--that's the reason for the chat thread. Personal attacks, flaming, and hostile language are still not allowed.

Thanks everybody.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
txt, congrats on the job. I hope it is "your thing" or helps you get your foot in the door to real law enforcement, if that's still what you want to do.

Yes, working at Walmart is a crappy job. And, no, staying at one job for almost a year is not a big accomplishment. And, no, you aren't going to find some wonderfully fulfilling job that you love, and where you will make enough money to live out here in the burbs unless you go to college or a trade school. You have no education, so you aren't qualified to do anything beyond what you are currently doing.

If you want to be a police officer, then go to the academy like you've been talking about for so long. If that isn't realistically going to happen, then get a retail job and stick with is long enough to actually get promoted. You could actually have a decent career in retail if you are good at it and stick with it.

I wish you the best. I really do. It is hard to watch you continue to sabotage yourself.

And look for a room for rent in someones basement or something, if you really want to move out. You don't have to have a friend to move in with and a shiny new apartment that you pick out yourself. Just find something.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,958 times
Quote:
No, they don't even know I was looking elsewhere for a job yet. I don't know if I would be leaving walmart completely but I really don't have any room in my schedule for it except Thursdays and Sundays after 6:30pm.

Idk, I'll be working 4 on 3 off but my 3 is split up, Mon/Tuesday/Thurs and I'll be making like $11.25/hr.

BUT this position might not open, but they will just place me at a new site, right now they need me at the mall but if the person in that position doesn't transfer or leave they will have to put me at a new site, I will keep walmart until I am fully into this new position and may or may not keep walmart afterwards.

Wal-Mart really is a ****ty place to work, there is almost no room for promotions or even lateral transfers to other departments.
That's interesting because everyone I know who works there or has in the past has said otherwise. They all liked working there and said there is plenty of room for advancement. Hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting