Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Poor parents, most doing the best that they can and then being hit with all the errors they made in rearing their young.

I think my parents should not have lied to me about Santa. It gave me a lesson early on that I could not trust them, as I still thought lying was wrong. When they told me there was no Santa I reached the conclusion that there was no Jesus, another imaginary friend. This did not make me disbelieve the mystical experience later in life, though.

My parents did not expect me to take responsibility. Fortunately, I knew this was an error on their part, hated the 'smother' love and left home to put myself through school and get a job and my own place as soon as I could. It could have turned out very differently, with me staying home and marrying some poor fellow with the promise of a good career and having 3 kids in a disastrous marriage.

My parents never discussed sex with me and they really should have. Reading dirty books with my girlfriends is a lousy substitute.

What about you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 04:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
sorry....I just couldn't....they're my parents

Old 10-27-2011, 04:34 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
My parents made all kinds of horrendous mistakes, my upbringing was atrocious.

/shrug

We can turn out however we decide with enough work and introspection.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Leaving me by myself constantly. No, I kept to myself, no, I didn't need constant supervision, but still. Oh, that and my mom flipping out on me, or arguing for hours with people in front of me. Lame.

I know that many families are dysfunctional in some way or another, but I never want to make those mistakes if I can help it.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
I am a parent of a 24 &17 year old...I am not a perfect person...my children had warm beds,roof over their heads,good food in their bellies,the best education my money and taxes could buy and a stable happy home life! I am sure I did some things wrong and I'm sure they would happily give you a list!!However,no matter how they turn out in the end let this be the inscription on my tombstone...Here lies Mom...she tried her best!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Sending me to a private middle/high school that I hated and not taking me out of it.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
They raised me to be quiet and passive. In retrospect, this has hurt me both with women and in the workplace. It's not really all their fault though. They're from a different culture.

They also let me choose my own college. In the end, I think they should have chosen for me (crazy as that sounds for those college aged who are reading this).

Other than that, they gave me everything. All of my f@ckups in life are mostly due to myself.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 PM

19,721 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Planning their pregnancies.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
I was raised to be smart in school and never prioritize a social life, wasn't really allowed to meet up with friends that much after school etc. Needless to say this has led to some social challenges, getting a girl being the most prominent one of them.

Also I've gotten 2 advices on relationships, one from mom and one from dad;
mom when I was in school: "don't worry, women will chase you in highschool"
mom when I was in highschool: "don't worry, things will change and and women will see you differently when you go to university"
mom now that I'm at university: "don't worry once you're through and get yourself a good job you might find someone"
Anyone else see a striking pattern here?

dad: "stay away from women son, they can never be reasoned with, nor trusted"

Old 10-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
It doesn't matter. They're only human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting