Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 6,913 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, the way that we give gifts through our children’s childhood is completely wasteful. I read that by the time a child is 18, they have received anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 in gifts through birthdays, holidays, graduations, etc

I mean why do we put so much emphasis on little toys, trinkets or gift certificates when we could actually be making significant contributions to our children’s future? (Saving for college, first car, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I think a little toy or a book is far more valuable than saving for a first car (not sure how that matters to a child's future)! Some gifts are wasteful, some aren't. And play is an essential part of a child's development (and is just plain fun!). That said, gifts don't have to be expensive, and there are some really over-priced and junky items out there being foisted off on families. I'd go for quality over quantity, with quality not being defined just by dollars.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Why? Because a 5 yr old's face lights up a whole lot more with a few "unimportant" trinkets to play with than a check for $50 toward his/her college education.

Not to say you can't do a bit of each but to say that anything that is not put away for the future is not intelligent or is wasteful is a bit extreme and takes some of the fun out of life.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma123 View Post
I read that by the time a child is 18, they have received anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 in gifts through birthdays, holidays, graduations, etc
Where in the world did you read that? That certainly hasn't remotely happened in this household.

The gifts we've given our son through the years has changed as he's gotten older. A toddler could care less about a "check" but a teen is all over that.

I never found the gifts we gave our son to be wasteful. We were never ones to over do anything but enjoyed giving him toys, books, etc.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Where in the world did you read that? That certainly hasn't remotely happened in this household.

The gifts we've given our son through the years has changed as he's gotten older. A toddler could care less about a "check" but a teen is all over that.

I never found the gifts we gave our son to be wasteful. We were never ones to over do anything but enjoyed giving him toys, books, etc.
That's a good question. At the low end, 15000 gifts by 18 is 833 gifts a year, 69 gifts a month. That's pretty extreme. I'd really doubt most kids get that amount of any type of gift.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why? Because a 5 yr old's face lights up a whole lot more with a few "unimportant" trinkets to play with than a check for $50 toward his/her college education.

Not to say you can't do a bit of each but to say that anything that is not put away for the future is not intelligent or is wasteful is a bit extreme and takes some of the fun out of life.
Another good post, maciesmom.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
With our first set of kids, I found myself too much focused on number of gifts under the tree or around the birthday cake. I also felt like each kid had to have the same number of gifts to open. this was encouraged by a son who counted everything and kept track to make sure it was all "fair".

It didn't take me too long to figure out I could not continue with that. At about 2nd grade when they were learning about money, I taught them about value and how one $12 hard back book would be worth much more than 12 $1 trinkets. I'm happy to say they caught on but it wasn't always easy.

Now with this second set of kids I knew not to start off with a bunch of silly trinkets.Case in point...silly bands. Remember those? Do you even hear about them anymore? We bought 1 packet each for our girls and encouraged them to share with each other and friends. That seemed to be enough for them but their friends got so many packs of silly bands I know some had $25-$50 worth.

So I started asking them :"which do you want - a family day trip to the zoo or a boat load of plastic toys " of course they wanted the zoo.

That is not to say they didn't have or don't have a bunch of cheap plastic toys. We get them at garage sales, swap with neighbors, etc.
Christmas stockings are filled with new underwear, pencils, markers, glue sticks, scissors, hair clips-things they need and enjoy anyway.
Only 4 or 5 "real" gifts like electronic equipment, games, bikes, books, etc.

Easter basket: little candy, Wii games, books, outdoor chalk, bubbles, garden tools

Birthday- home made cake to take to school, nice family day trip.

We don't skimp on surprises but it is usually art supplies, reading material and family activities

Also I'm proud to say I saved most of the good toys from the first kids so now the second ones have endless tinker toys, leggos, wooden building blocks, cars and action figures. We give them out a bit at a time.
I think this recession has forced many parents to really think about what they get for their kids entertainment. We don't have to buy a bunch of cheap trinkets. A pack of origami paper and a library book about origami projects will give so much more enjoyment than 25 plastic farm animals.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's a good question. At the low end, 15000 gifts by 18 is 833 gifts a year, 69 gifts a month. That's pretty extreme. I'd really doubt most kids get that amount of any type of gift.
I think her child may be the Prince of Zamunda.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I think the OP was talking dollars, not individual items.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I think the OP was talking dollars, not individual items.
Ohhh. Ok. That makes more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting