Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Nicolette Taylor, 13 Year-Old Girl, Gets Nose Job To Avoid School Bullying (VIDEO)

I find this appalling. What lesson is being taught here?
I would do the same for my kids!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
I had something growing on my nose, in that little crease. .
It started when I was 10, they run in my family.

It wasn't cancerous, it didn't hurt me, it was just fugly.
I had it removed this past summer and I am so glad I did.
Why should I have to go through all that bullying and harassment and the self consciousness about it when it can easily be removed?

Now, it's no longer there, my face looks like a face, there's nothing butt azz ugly growing on it anymore.

I am a million times more happy and I even went and got the other side of my nose pierced.

And long as you are happy with yourself it doesn't matter how you achieved that happiness.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:02 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I would help my daughter not so much because of the bullying, but because of the self image issues. If it would help boost her self esteem, then yes I would have the nose job done.

I would have had the nose done also, I don't see any harm in it.

if you have an ugly nose, why not...Oh wait, I had a deviated septum, and also had the bump taken out when I fell against a table as a child, so yup, I check the box yes. I am all for it.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,656,099 times
I'm not sure why folks are differentiating between "because of an accident" or "born that way" - I support her choice either way. I'd love to live in a world where someone's physical appearance doesn't matter, but I don't live in that world. Well , *I* personally do: my friends and others who love me don't care! - but one's looks do make a difference.

The OP asked, 'what lesson is being taught here?' I don't believe every choice in life is about some lesson, but if I had to articulate one, it would be that if you have the wherewithal to change something you don't like, there's no harm in changing it - and often, a lot of benefit.

I grew up bullied - I was very intelligent (nerdy), and poor, with low social skills. One thing my tormentors loved to talk about was my nose: a 'ski-jump' nose, with a huge hump on the bridge. If I could have removed that target, it would have been a godsend. Yes, they would have picked on me for other things, but it would have been one less thing for me to be insecure about.

(I am having trouble wording things so I don't end up writing, 'picked on my nose'! )

Old 10-17-2011, 03:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Now, it's no longer there, my face looks like a face, there's nothing butt azz ugly growing on it anymore.

I am a million times more happy and I even went and got the other side of my nose pierced.
People were looking at one side of your nose. So you got that fixed. Then you did something that makes them look at the other side of your nose.

Okey dokey, then.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,656,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
People were looking at one side of your nose. So you got that fixed. Then you did something that makes them look at the other side of your nose.

Okey dokey, then.
I see it as, she transformed something from an object of insecurity, to be scorned, into an object of beauty.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,628 times
This is no different than correcting teeth with extraction and braces.

My son had his lower jaw broken and reset to correct a real bad under bite. We didn't do this to make him look better. It was done to keep him from biting into his upper pallet and to also make it easier for him to eat and close his mouth.

One of the side effects from the operation was he looks a lot better. And if you didn't know why we did the operation you would think it was because of his looks.

That was twelve years ago. Three months ago we had all his teeth extracted and are in the process of having implants put in. They were a mess, crocked and rotting off at the gum line. We didn't do this for looks either. It was done because he's been in pain for several years with the rotting teeth and also most of his mouth was abscessed.

He had so much infection that it was moving into his bones and would most likely kill him. He just got his implant studs last week so all he has is four metal spikes on top and bottom that need to heal before they can complete the bridges that attach to them. Some people have the nerve when they see him and say crap like I can't believe you removed your child's teeth to make him look better. I try to explain to them that we had no choice and it was to remove his pain and save his life.

All I'm saying is you need to understand why a parent does this to a child before reacting. I've never met a parent yet that wanted their child to go under the knife unless they had to. And I can bet you that I don't think any doctor would recommend it either unless it was needed.

busta

Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post

(I am having trouble wording things so I don't end up writing, 'picked on my nose'! )

Better than picking on ya butt.

If you do/did something about your looks that makes you feel better about yourself, that's great. No one has a right to say any different.

busta

Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
She didn't do it becasue she was bullied, that was an excuse. She didn't like her nose, end of story.

So I guess you really know them good enough to know why they did it?

busta

Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
It shouldn't be appalling that a girl gets plastic surgery to correct an injury. It should be appalling that people were constantly harassing her about her nose. It's all great talking about standing up for yourself and being happy with your looks but who actually wants to endure that kind of teasing day after day if it's possible to stop it? Braces are cosmetic but usually people aren't condemned for straightening their teeth.
They were back in my day (80s/90s).

Kids are just giant jerks wandering around in packs at that age.
I agree with you. It's more appalling that people were harassing her about her nose. I don't know if I would have given her the surgery, but I think this says more about the parents of the bullies than the parents of the kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting