Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Okay, so my DD just turned 13. She's been trying out her own style of dress, etc for a while and that's understandable since all teens have to figure out "who they are" and where they fit in. Her choice of clothing style is not outrageous ---- she actually ranges the whole thing, from conservative to rocker to hip, etc. (nothing sexy, though, she's way too modest for that!!!)

Well, now, she wants to experiment with her hair. I told her that's fine but we're not running to the salon every week for something new. She said no, all she wants to do is shave the side of her head!!!
I asked her what she was talking about and she said she only wants to shave the one side of her head (not the back and not "half" of her head, just the side). I was taken aback and told her to seriously think about it and that maybe she can leave the other side long in case she decides she doesn't want the shaved look, she can flip her hair over.

I really do NOT want her to do this. I just can't picture her with the side of her head shaved and am thinking it will take about a year for her hair to fully grow back.

I don't want to "step on her toes" but I think I'm going to draw the line here and not let her do it.

Any opinions????
What, the Cyndi Lauper look circa 1984 in the music video for the song "Time After Time."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 05:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
It is her head. Let her do what she wants, if nothing else she will learn a very good lesson on living with your choices.

My daughter has had the bottom half of her hair blue since she was 10 (she is 17 now). As long as she is not scaring anyone or showing her goods, what she wears, or how she styles her hair is her own business. I also offered to take get to get her nose pierced (because she wanted it so bad) but only if she got a tiny stud and thoroughly researched it online. Apparently that freaked her out and she didn't get it.

So ask your daughter and yourself, what is the worst that could happen?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We let our daughter dye the underside of her hair bright blue over the summer a couple years ago, and despite what the kids at Hot Topic tell you, that stuff does not fade in a few weeks. It was a washed-out green for several months. I think it would really depend on the style your daughter has in mind, and I agree with wanting to see a picture. She'll have to keep it up (keep shaving it), so you might remind her of that. Ultimately, if she's adamant, I think I'd give in--it's her hair and her lesson to learn. I'd encourage her to wait until summer in that case, though. That will give her a couple months to deal with it.
Oh my gosh. Same here. Let my daugther do "temporary" blue streaks in her hair for the summer...........never came out. It wasn't on the bottom, either. On top - a lot of streaks on the top! Ended up costing me over $100 to have the salon bleach her hair then try to dye it back.

NEVER DO BLUE!!!!

The lady who fixed her hair said there is something with blue. Every other color will fade over time...not blue. She also said never use the Henna dyes. If you mix certain hair chemicals over it your hair could fall out or break off.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I never minded anything to do with hair or nails...it was the piercings and tattoos I had a problem with.

But my daughter never wanted to do that sort of head shave, that look was mostly for the guys. I don't know, maybe if she pays for it? That always stopped my kids in their tracks.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Good luck. My daughter has beautiful red, long, curly hair. She dyed it jet black. I took her to have it fixed, the stylist said it just needed to grow out.

The interesting thing is that after we left the stylist, my daughter just sobbed. I guess I was a bit much in saying how hideous it looked, because she really did not balk much about getting her hair dyed back, but when it could not be fixed she was very upset. So, I decided to say nothing at that point.

The end is that she never messed with her hair again. The black faded, and washed out eventually. They will do what they want. Just be understanding when it looks hideous.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
I think clothes, piercings, hair, jewelry, etc should be fair game at any age.

Once my kids (when I have them) become aware of those choices and want to make them, they can.
Once they get are aware, ill start asking them what things they like at the stores. You know the shirt with the kittens vs the penguins or something, dark jeans or light jeans. They always have a choice.

With clothing as long as its age appropriate and doesn't show too much for their age its fine.
If they are 12 and want to dye their hair black with pink stripes and wear black eyeliner, it's just fashion, and fashion has no age.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
There is possibly a bright side to this. If it turns out badly, you wont have to worry about her attracting boys for about a year .

LOL!! So true!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I think clothes, piercings, hair, jewelry, etc should be fair game at any age.

Once my kids (when I have them) become aware of those choices and want to make them, they can.
Once they get are aware, ill start asking them what things they like at the stores. You know the shirt with the kittens vs the penguins or something, dark jeans or light jeans. They always have a choice.

With clothing as long as its age appropriate and doesn't show too much for their age its fine.
If they are 12 and want to dye their hair black with pink stripes and wear black eyeliner, it's just fashion, and fashion has no age.

txt i can't wait to you have kids

Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Oh my gosh. Same here. Let my daugther do "temporary" blue streaks in her hair for the summer...........never came out. It wasn't on the bottom, either. On top - a lot of streaks on the top! Ended up costing me over $100 to have the salon bleach her hair then try to dye it back.

NEVER DO BLUE!!!!

The lady who fixed her hair said there is something with blue. Every other color will fade over time...not blue. She also said never use the Henna dyes. If you mix certain hair chemicals over it your hair could fall out or break off.
No that's not true because i have done blue and it came out, the type of dye you used must have reacted badly or been permanent labelled wrong was all.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
txt i can't wait to you have kids
I spent YEARS battling my mom on this stuff.

From low rise jeans which weren't all that low rise to make up to hair dye and hair cuts to other clothing and piercings.

I wanted my own look and my own style and I was made to feel like I was a terrible person for doing so.

I wasn't allowed to break out of my shell and choose a style of my own and it put me a lot further behind the other kids. I always looked younger, was dressed younger.

I refuse to do that to my kids when I have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting