Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I disagree....becoming comfortable with ones body will never happen if they're forced into swim-wear and made to face and deal with the derogatory and hurtful remarks that some children will undoubtedly throw their way....Natural mental and emotional developement does NOT have to include such.....and does NOT have to hurt.
My first question is when and how did they become uncomfortable with their bodies in the first place. My second question is if they don't learn to handle derogatory and hurtful remarks?

I disagree with you. Growing up hurts. Life is not pretty. Protect them from growing up now, and you just delay the inevitable.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
I disagree....becoming comfortable with ones body will never happen if they're forced into swim-wear and made to face and deal with the derogatory and hurtful remarks that some children will undoubtedly throw their way....Natural mental and emotional developement does NOT have to include such.....and does NOT have to hurt.
Do you really spend your whole life worrying about every time a person could possibly throw out a deragatory remark? If you do I suggest you get some help for that.

Swimming is part of the PE curriculum and should be no different than any other part of the curriculum. Kids should be expected to show up, on time, ready to participate just as if the curriculum were volleyball, archery or whatever.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
So is that bad? Wow! Did you face that? Have you seen that happen in your local school or are you assuming that is what is going on?

I agree that we disagree. In the school in a class there is an instructor and it is expected he or she will ensure there is respect among students. Now, nothing is 100% sure. For all I know the teacher may not care but you under the premise that the teacher will ensure there is order in the class.

You portray an exaggerated picture I must say. Not to say that kids to not tease each other all the time under different situations. You want to isolate them so Susie or Johnny are not hurt, be my guest. There is a difference between the teasing and taunting between kids that are growing up and bullying. Bullying I am not for. Take care.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No. It is clearly appropriate to wear a swim suit. Sheltering however is another matter. Swimming is a perfectly normal activity that is most comfortably and effectively done when not wearing a habit.

*I* shouldn't? Or YOU shouldn't? I find no issue with a bikini.
No, it isn't clearly appropriate to all people. I know many people who have major issues with most modern bathing suits. Stop calling our standards things such as a habit. People wear board shorts and rash guards all the time. They just aren't as "normal" as bikinis. Our standards aren't applied to people outside of our immediate family, so please do not apply your standards to our family. By the way, this isn't just for girls. We don't do boys (including my husband) swimming topless.

You can be perfectly comfortable with your body without wearing bikinis.

The "you" was a general "you" referring to those in our family. I don't tell you what to wear, don't tell us what to wear. The problem is that those of us who have problems with most modern swimsuits are seen as ridiculous and people who hate our bodies. This just isn't true.

Also, what's wrong with wanting more sun coverage for the kids? I know that I absolutely need it. Where we live, school pools are all outside. Sun protection is absolutely necessary, and , yes, some of us do burn in the amount of time a P.E. class takes.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
No, it isn't clearly appropriate to all people. I know many people who have major issues with most modern bathing suits. Stop calling our standards things such as a habit. People wear board shorts and rash guards all the time.
Those aren't modern bathing suits? The fact that you wear them makes them so.

Quote:
They just aren't as "normal" as bikinis. Our standards aren't applied to people outside of our immediate family, so please do not apply your standards to our family. By the way, this isn't just for girls. We don't do boys (including my husband) swimming topless.
I think that's great. The flip side being that some people are fine with swimming in shorts and bikinis. The major point being not so much what swim wear choice you make but whether one encourages their teen to have body image issues and lack of confidence issues by considering the body oogie and taboo. I also think it is a bit nutty to think that teenagers cannot handle being in each others presence while wearing swimsuits.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
Who is the "our" that you are speaking for, psr13? Are you part of a religious group?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I believe my high school had a dress code for swimsuits during the swim unit; I don't remember details, but am pretty sure bikinis were not allowed. I also know that not all students participated in the unit (although it was very tough to get a waiver to be excused); presumably those who had religious concerns either received a waiver or received other accommodations. Just not wanting to be seen in a swimsuit is, presumably, not reason enough.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I believe my high school had a dress code for swimsuits during the swim unit; I don't remember details, but am pretty sure bikinis were not allowed.
For fitness swimming they simply are not useful.

Quote:
I also know that not all students participated in the unit (although it was very tough to get a waiver to be excused); presumably those who had religious concerns either received a waiver or received other accommodations. Just not wanting to be seen in a swimsuit is, presumably, not reason enough.
What is a religious reason for not learning to swim? (I may be bitter. A drowning in one's history for no good reason other than he never learned to swim can do that to you.)

Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
There are more choices of swim wear now than ever before. Girls can wear shorts, skirts, rashguards, one piece, 2 piece... While I can understand an overweight person being unhappy with the co-ed swim unit, I really can't understand the OP being so indignant about it, as if it were unheard of and somehow asking for trouble. 20 years ago when I was in HS we had single-sex swim units, but the last 2 weeks of school PE was free swim at the pool. I didn't think anything of it. We had 3 or 4 teachers for each gender at the pool at one time. There were enough adults around to make sure everyone was behaving.
When I was in high school, swimming was mandatory for males and female. We had two choices regarding suits: we could wear the day-glo orange one-piece non-stretch suits provided to us by the school, or our parents could buy them from JC Penney. No other suits were acceptable during class, and if we didn't have a suit and weren't willing to use the school-provided one, we'd get a "fail" for that day's class (PE was a pass/fail course).

The only exemption to this was if a student was wearing a cast for a broken bone, had recent surgery, and girls who were menstruating were exempted with a slip from the parent for that day's class (back then, most girls wore maxipads, not tampons, and it's not something you can wear when you're submerged in an olympic-sized swimming pool )

Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
For fitness swimming they simply are not useful.

What is a religious reason for not learning to swim? (I may be bitter. A drowning in one's history for no good reason other than he never learned to swim can do that to you.)
Modesty rules in certain religions forbid girls of reproductive age (which would be anytime after their first period, regardless of how old they are) from exposing anything above the knee or below the neckline in public. That means, no swimsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting