Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Is this woman your friend? Is she someone you care about?

She's recently separated and just lost her job. If she is a friend I would reach out to her. Sounds like she's been having a pretty tough time. I'd try to be there for her (which in this case probably means a lot of listening) but I'd stay out of her business. It's her child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Is this woman your friend? Is she someone you care about?

She's recently separated and just lost her job. If she is a friend I would reach out to her. Sounds like she's been having a pretty tough time. I'd try to be there for her (which in this case probably means a lot of listening) but I'd stay out of her business. It's her child.
I agree. And I would still let my son go over to play with his homeschooled friend/have the friend over. I see no reason to end their friendship now.

If it would ease your mind, go over and talk to the woman, yourself. Try to get to know her better. How old are your son and this boy?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:53 AM

265 posts, read 615,492 times
just a suggestion;

introduce your kid to fun educational games/stuff online, and then encourage him to have fun sharing this with his friend. maybe they can BOTH learn while having fun. your friends mom may catch on and well, ya never know.

just a few below:*remember there are videos also for learning on youtube! if the child is young enough to be directed to this then just have them watch two a day. any two they want but at least two. this won't take all day either. I like to say that doing this is called "A Start." {smiling}

[SIZE=3]presidents[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc3xTj3g9QQ&NR=1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Nations of the world[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONyKu9cMG7k&feature=related[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]planet song[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6w-twUo9Xc&feature=related[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]countries of the world[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S13Z7NMfcA&feature=related[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]50 states[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvJ9SN8THE&feature=related[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]universe[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_J5rBxeTIk&feature=related[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]bones in the body[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYv3yArIJuc&NR=1

Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
My sons friend is being home schooled because his mother was upset. Here is the situation my son and his friend got in trouble at school, nothing major, a food fight basically. My son got OS ISS and his friend got ISS, for three days. I was fine with the consequence, they need to learn from their mistakes. The other boys mother was so enraged about the ISS, she pulled him out of school and is now going to home school him. Talk about over reacting. The mother is keeping her first grader and kindergartner in school. I feel that she is using her sons situation for her benefit. She is recently seperated and laid off, her son has been telling us how his mom wants to spend every minute with him and he said she has become anti social, not leaving the house too much. Now that he is being homeschooled, its only been two weeks, they talk about all the fun they are having. This boy stays up late playing video games, sleeps until he feels like getting up and they go out for lunch everyday. He hasn't done any school work yet. This is my sons best friend and his mother and I have gotten to be friendly over the past few years. She seems a bit erratic in her thinking, from other things she has done and now I do not think this is in his best interest. We a torn over this situation, I am thinking I don't care to have my son over there as much as he usually is. My son talks about how cool his friends life is now and I tell him, it looks cool now, but when her temper cools down, I think they are both going to regret this situation.
What would you do?
There isn't much you can do as far as the boy being home-schooled. As to the question of your son's friendship with this boy, I say that it should continue, except that I would limit the amount of time your son can spend at his friend's home. Ending the friendship will only make your son more convinced that his friend's life is way cooler than his and he may find friends of lesser repute as a way to punish you. Welcome the young man into your home - maybe he and your son can do some homework/research together? But under no circumstances try to pressure the boy into telling you anything about his educational situation.

I'm thinking that it won't be long before the kid will miss the social interaction at school and request that his Mom let him go back.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
How old are the boys? Mom's behavior is a little creepy, but she's going through a lot and this seems to be more or less a circle the wagons move on her part. I wouldn't restrict my son from socializing with his friend, in fact his friend could probably really use a friend right now. The only thing I would worry about is if the boys were older, say around 15 or so. Mom seems to be making her son the surrogate husband and you wouldn't want your son having a Mrs. Robinson moment.

Outside of being concerned with the safety of your son, the rest of what they do is none of your business. As long as you don't think there is anything real creepy going on with the mom, then there is no reason to keep the boys apart.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
The boys are eight graders, I'm not wondering about her problem with the school, not my business. I'm wondering if its a good idea for my son to hang out with him or I should say "them" so much. I let him go over yesterday after school and now the mom is playing video games with them and having pillow fights, something is a bit "off" over there right now. It might be better to keep him away from there until things settle down.

I know its rare, but remember the teacher who had sex with her eigth grade student, Mary Kay Letourneau. She was going through relationship problems and...its kind of creeping me out.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:39 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Everyone on here seems to have gotten the wrong impression, I don't want to do anything about the homeschooling situation. I was odd, how it happened, thats all. I'm wondering about the "lifestyle" change going on over there and do not want it to affect my son.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
You think she is going to molest her son or your son? All this based on they fact that she is hanging out and having fun with her kid after pulling him out of school? Do you have any other reason to reach this very extreme conclusion?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
We a torn over this situation, I am thinking I don't care to have my son over there as much as he usually is. My son talks about how cool his friends life is now and I tell him, it looks cool now, but when her temper cools down, I think they are both going to regret this situation.
What would you do?
I see no reason for you to change how much time your son spends with his friend simply because his mother decided to homeschool him.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
The boys are eight graders, I'm not wondering about her problem with the school, not my business. I'm wondering if its a good idea for my son to hang out with him or I should say "them" so much. I let him go over yesterday after school and now the mom is playing video games with them and having pillow fights, something is a bit "off" over there right now. It might be better to keep him away from there until things settle down.

I know its rare, but remember the teacher who had sex with her eigth grade student, Mary Kay Letourneau. She was going through relationship problems and...its kind of creeping me out.
You've gone over the edge. That's totally irrational thinking. And you think she's the one who is a bit off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting