Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times

Advertisements

I had that diagnosis with one of mine, and was equally floored when the teachers mentioned he didn't talk at all at school. It actually took me several years to catch on, as I just thought he was "shy" the first few teachers that mentioned it. It took one teacher to really set me aside and say, no... really, he DOESN'T say a THING!, for me to realize the extent of it. It was hard to comprehend, as he talked my ear off. And playdates were fine, he would talk whenever he was around me. It was only when separated from me or his Dad that he would just not utter a word. Not even an answer to a direct question.

Its a form of anxiety. He eventually talked in the classroom, but still very limited. He still has major anxiety issues, but they seem to manifest themselves in different ways now. When he's around his friends or family, you would never have known, that was his comfort level.

I do think diagnosis are important, as it explains other things that might be happening, and gives you some tools in adjusting the child better. Without us knowing, we could have forced him into verbalization, which would have been detrimental to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 01:53 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Invite the teacher over for dinner.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Ok, first, not every little thing a kid does needs to have a "diagnosis". Kids act differently in school then they do at home, period. I think parents would be very surprised at how different their children are at school.

At our first parent/teacher conference for our daughter when she was in kindergarten her teacher had the same concern, she didn't talk in school. This is the same girl where we would sometimes have to set a timer at home and tell her she couldn't talk until it went off, the same girl that talked NON-STOP on a 3 hour car ride. We came home from that conference, told her she needs to talk more in school, hasn't been a problem since. She is now a junior in high school and does just fine--and still talks your ear off at home. Some kids are just shy in school. I would not worry about it at all.
Yes, one of my kids absolutely did not talk at school until third grade. He didn't talk all that much at home but could talk. He made a statement to me when he was in first grade and being coaxed to talk with the coach who he liked that he would talk at school in third grade and he stuck to it. They sent him to speech therapy but the therapist became exasperated because he wouldn't talk at all and so she could not even evaluate him.

He never disliked going to school, his grades were fine, he had no behavior problems of any kind except the refusing to talk. He didn't care if people asked him if he could talk, it was probably something that became his special quality. In second grade the other kids would protect him and inform the teachers that he didn't like to talk so he wouldn't be bothered by the teachers trying to make him talk.

He's 16 and doing fine, probably a bit on the shy side still at school but he's got friends, he mostly likes to sit and observe others. Even at home he didn't talk until he was over 3 years of age but he was obviously fine as far as mental development.

I think the only diagnosis to make is to realize that some people are more introverted and silent types.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:58 PM

214 posts, read 595,372 times
OP here. Thanks so much for all the replies. Definitely saw a some of my little guy in a lot of the stories other parents told, but always with some glaring exception (like not talking away from Mom and Dad - my son talks no matter who's around or not, just not in his current classroom).

I tried talking to him about it, making sure he knew nothing he said was wrong and that he was funny and smart. I also made a point to make sure I was fully engaged when he was speaking to me (not stirring a pot, glancing at email, or motioning to someone else in the house).

He's responded by talking even more everywhere. I didn't think it was possible, but by golly he's doing it. At school, he's taken to talking to more freely with one boy in his class who is there early with him. Still not a lot to say to his teachers, but he's trying.

Now that I'm watching him more with this, I agree with those who said it's anxiety. I think he's terrified of being reprimanded by his teachers, who often don't understand what he's saying and may or may not be patient and kind in addressing his poor enunciation. I expect this to improve a lot with age (as it already has) and therapy.

Still don't know if I should pull him after either Thanksgiving or Winter vacation though.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
My daughter (now 16) didn't talk to any adult at camp, school, friend's houses... until she was about 7 or 8. She smiled, giggled, had a great time and wanted to go back - just didn't talk. We waited it out and kept things low key and she came around on her own. It is selective mutisim and it is related to some anxiety, but I don't think it needs much attention, just a lot of patience.

I would NOT pull your child from his current setting. He is trying his hardest to get used to it all. He needs to muddle through this process and use it as a learning experience and confidence builder. Hang in there with him and keep an open dialogue with his teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting