Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 PM

505 posts, read 716,774 times

Advertisements

I have a 50yo brother who has a 9 month old. Mom is 42. It is both of their first and most likely only. There couldn't be a more loved baby.. While I wouldn't want to do it, they are actually really enjoying her.

I think they will do just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
I have a cousin who had his last two children in his 50s. They are healthy and happy and very close to their father. He has two grandchildren by these kids also. Younger parents die all the time. It's not just about age. It's about general health and the luck of the draw in life.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM

505 posts, read 716,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I have a cousin who had his last two children in his 50s. They are healthy and happy and very close to their father. He has two grandchildren by these kids also. Younger parents die all the time. It's not just about age. It's about general health and the luck of the draw in life.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
I had a friend whose father was in his mid 40's and mother was in her 20's when they had two kids. She said her aunts had told her that everyone felt her mom would end up a young widow raising two kids. Her Mother died before she was 30 and he raised the kids and only recently died in his late 90's. So, you never know.

I personally think my brother is a much better parent now than he would have been when he was younger. He does a lot of hands on care, as his wife works nights. It seems that the his perspective is much different. He acts like he has time, I am surprised like when she has been fussy when teething, he is very calm and caring. I don't think he feels he is missing out on anything-he can be in the moment much more, if that makes sense. The baby just lights up when he is around.

He was pretty sick a number of years ago, and at one point we weren't sure he would make it. The baby was kind of a surprise. But she sure is a blessing.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:01 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
...I personally think my brother is a much better parent now than he would have been when he was younger... It seems that the his perspective is much different. He acts like he has time...

I was going to post something along this line but Aque Blue said it so well. Medical issues aside, older parents seem to be better parents overall, both emotionally and mentally.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
i work with a man who is 52 and his wife is 38 and she is pregnant and due any day now and he says he is going to love being a dad and he will have more babies with her maybe three or four more . I cannot believe that she will be okay with this but who knows right ?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
I know plenty of older men 50+ who have very healthy children.

the pattern that I see is that their wives/women are always at least 15-25 years younger than them. Wherever I hear a woman telling a man that he's too old to have children, I just see her trying to project a woman's problem onto men. Men and women clearly aren't equal that's why a man like Clint Eastwood or Larry King can have a beautiful child while being a senior citizen.

Nowdays there's no excuse for a person go be in horrible shape or bad health with the resources that are available.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
My husband was 45 when we had our daughter. I think my husband, atleast grew into a kinder, calmer more responsible person as he aged. He's been a great dad and our daughter is graduating college this semester. My mom & dad had my youngest sister when Dad was 47 & Mom 38. Again, a very succesful childhood. People are living into their 90's and are much healthier than in the past. I think too many people see 65 as circling the drain and it ain't so!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Men and women clearly aren't equal that's why a man like Clint Eastwood or Larry King can have a beautiful child while being a senior citizen.

Nowdays there's no excuse for a person go be in horrible shape or bad health with the resources that are available.
I'm not sure which of these statements is more ridiculous.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:36 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I sure would like to hear from men in their mid 50s +/- in age who might have been faced with their spouse talking about having a baby at this late age.

This is not about the woman, she is younger and within safe child bearing years. This is for the men who have to help bring up a baby when retirement is supposed to be 10 years or less away.

How can anyone justify wanting to be into their early 70s when the kid is graduating school? These types of questions can go on and on.

Your sentiments on this?
I think this critical issue should be brought up before the marriage happens ; but regardless, bringing a child into the world is A JOINT DECISION where it has to be unaminous , not partial . As a male in his mid 50's....I would not like to try to transition my life back to raising kid(s) again ---- I would entertain being a Big Brother to a needy child or adolescent though on a part time basis in order to help out in such a situation .

I might add, that, if a child is produced out of wedlock ... that all bets are off and the child is brought into the world and either kept or given up to a nice / loving 2 parent home . Abortion is not an option due to inconvenience , liberty, or entitle-itis .

Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not trying to argue with you my friend, but the evidence about older fathers and their impact on Autism and Down's Syndrome is pretty standard stuff.

Of course, just because odds are increased doesn't mean EVERY older father will have a child with mental or physical issues.

To answer your other question...my father had a son when he was almost 50. That "kid" (30 now) is the apple of his eye and the one he simply can't spend enough time with
Now that you said that...my father was 45 when one of my brothers was born and 47 when the last one was born. Never thought anything of it before.

My friend's husband passed away two years ago at the age of 79. Her kids were 12 and 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting