Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

We are looking for cameras for them but don't want anything too expensive. Any suggestions?

Also a Wii game
knitting book and supplies
new underwear for stockings
some books
looking for science kits

What else can we get.? Way past dolls and stuffed animals. clothes have to be tried on. They like books and puzzles but we get those things during the year and don't consider them really special.
I'm looking into cooking classes but I need some other things for under the tree. Don't want mindless gifts just to have packages. They have bikes and scooters, helmets, etc.

What are you getting for your 9 y.o. girls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:50 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times
Sounds like enough.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
I'm not a parent, but imagine one couldn't go wrong with wrapping up a bag of plastic army men, a little bottle of lighter fluid and some matches. Leastwise that's what I remember having fun with at that age.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
Get her a Philosophy bath product like Sweet Fluffy Cupcake or Angel Wings. Philosophy has gift sets and these are the types of gifts that I give to that age group. Always popular.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,253 times
Whenever I got my kids lessons or classes of some sort (or something that couldn't be wrapped like a new swingset) I always put a piece of paper that said "cooking class!" or whatever in a box and wrapped it up.

You can get inexpensive digital cameras (that still take decent shots) for around $100 at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

-Art supplies/craft kits are always fun.
-Last year, my six year old got ice skates and skating lessons. (We were able to do them at an outdoor skating rink but if you're in warm weather there are indoor rinks.)
-Fuzzy socks and slippers
-Bath products
-Magazine subscriptions.
-

Old 11-27-2011, 07:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are looking for cameras for them but don't want anything too expensive. Any suggestions?

Also a Wii game
knitting book and supplies
new underwear for stockings
some books
looking for science kits

What else can we get.? Way past dolls and stuffed animals. clothes have to be tried on. They like books and puzzles but we get those things during the year and don't consider them really special.
I'm looking into cooking classes but I need some other things for under the tree. Don't want mindless gifts just to have packages. They have bikes and scooters, helmets, etc.

What are you getting for your 9 y.o. girls?
Their own computer. Seriously.

Computers are cheap.
Parents have a lot of control over the content. I use Windows Live Family Safety 2011
They will have lots of fun on YouTube.
Install a bunch of math games. (I can't stress this enough.)
Get them started using Word to do homework.
Get them their own email account. I set up auto forwarding rules in Outlook such that I see every email my kids send and receive.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:10 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
you might not want mindless gifts but your kids wants to open presents and lots of them it comes once a year, set a dollar amount that you can spend on inexpensive "stuff", wrap them up and let them have at it.

heck half the time the kids don't understand the value we as adults put on things. just because we feel the hundred dollars doesn't mean they will understand and be satisfied opening one or two presents.

you can also wrap gifts in an unexpected way, the age old box within a box within another box. you could have a treasure hunt with clues written on paper leading to where the gift is.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Give them a day of community service by bringing them to the homeless shelter and volunteering to prepare, serve, and clean up their Christmas dinner.

Have her pick out all the toys she -used- to play with, and don't anymore because she's a big girl now, and bring her to the donation center where she can put the toys in the bin.

Then, present her with -two- brand new, but modestly priced toys, identical. One for herself, and one to give. Help her wrap up the second one, and bring her to the Childrens' Ward of the local hospital, to give a toy to a child who has to be in the hospital for Christmas.

In other words, teach her the _purpose_ of Christmas. That is the best gift you can give her.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:41 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Give them a day of community service by bringing them to the homeless shelter and volunteering to prepare, serve, and clean up their Christmas dinner.

Have her pick out all the toys she -used- to play with, and don't anymore because she's a big girl now, and bring her to the donation center where she can put the toys in the bin.

Then, present her with -two- brand new, but modestly priced toys, identical. One for herself, and one to give. Help her wrap up the second one, and bring her to the Childrens' Ward of the local hospital, to give a toy to a child who has to be in the hospital for Christmas.

In other words, teach her the _purpose_ of Christmas. That is the best gift you can give her.

what a great post. I always made sure my kids gave to children that didn't have as much.

the thought of children without at this time of the year is heart breaking.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
A slight take off on that above, give them $20 and let them go to a thrift store. Lots of neat stuff there for $1 or $2: clothes, toys, gadgets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting