Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Who wants to ask for my help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 04:01 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
I personally think there's nothing wrong with getting advice from someone who doesn't have kids. In fact, sometimes it could be exactly what I need - a glimpse into the view from the outside looking in. Parents tend to give advice based on their own experiences (aka their own kids), whereas a nonparent is more likely to start with a clean slate. Due to ignorance (and I do NOT mean that in a condescending way), they'll ask a bunch of questions first, which may very well unlock the problem quickly, as opposed to one-track advice from a parent who's so convinced their answers are "one size fits all" because it worked for their kids.

That being said, NO, I don't want help from you! You're a nonparent for Pete's sake!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:44 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Plus they're the best people to get sympathy from. Other parents just say been there, done that. (LOL)

Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Dear Lucidkitty,

I have a few dozen adopted kids who I've never met, but correspond with frequently. They're the parents of the Parenting folder here on C-D. Most of them are lovely, wonderful people but some of them are unmitigated slobs and ingrates. A few of them cling to their siblings here, refusing to go out and play in the neighborhood, and drag all the other kids down into their little mud-puddle of drama. Then, when the drama ends up so bad that they're squabbling and tumbling and pulling each others' hair out in the yard, dad comes by and puts them all in a time out.

How can we get the few ungrateful slobbish ones to shape up? Or should I plug in my ball-peen hammer and get to cracking a few skulls instead? I want Dad to relax for a change, and enjoy a nice Christmas filled with carolling, eggnog with extra rum, and a bubble-bath beard. Not a bunch of whiney brats screaming at each other and breaking the furniture and making the good ones cry.

Love,
Anon

Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Haha, welcome lucidkitty. There's always room for another perspective here. There are several posters without kids who give great advice. As with any posters, parent or not, just as long as there is recognition that the same strategies don't work for everyone, all of our personal experiences are just anecdotes, and there is a healthy level of respect/nonjudgmental tone, anything goes. that being said, wanna come help me wrap presents while my Christmas-crazed kids bounce off of the walls?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
not unless you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, otherwise, I'm not interested.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:23 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Dear Lucidkitty,

I have a few dozen adopted kids who I've never met, but correspond with frequently. They're the parents of the Parenting folder here on C-D. Most of them are lovely, wonderful people but some of them are unmitigated slobs and ingrates. A few of them cling to their siblings here, refusing to go out and play in the neighborhood, and drag all the other kids down into their little mud-puddle of drama. Then, when the drama ends up so bad that they're squabbling and tumbling and pulling each others' hair out in the yard, dad comes by and puts them all in a time out.

How can we get the few ungrateful slobbish ones to shape up? Or should I plug in my ball-peen hammer and get to cracking a few skulls instead? I want Dad to relax for a change, and enjoy a nice Christmas filled with carolling, eggnog with extra rum, and a bubble-bath beard. Not a bunch of whiney brats screaming at each other and breaking the furniture and making the good ones cry.

Love,
Anon
Sorry Mom. I will try harder to be good. Please don't put me in time out.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Dear Lucidkitty,

Love,
Anon
Dear anon chick

Since they are adopted kids you never known, and really it's the parents who are driving you nuts, than feel free to send each parent 25 lbs of chocolate truffles per child. To make their holiday nice and delightful =D.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
not unless you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, otherwise, I'm not interested.

actually......

Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Dear anon chick

Since they are adopted kids you never known, and really it's the parents who are driving you nuts, than feel free to send each parent 25 lbs of chocolate truffles per child. To make their holiday nice and delightful =D.
Genius. And then, they keel over from sugar shock, and I don't have to waste gas using the ball-peen hammer. I love this idea, thank you SantaKitty!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting