Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:45 PM

167 posts, read 477,090 times

Advertisements

Marketing is something else in today's society to begin with. Then again I feel as if some kids like what they do regardless of the marketing but based off their peers. My daughter never really played with barbie's when she was young and only played with dolls at friend's houses for playdates. Just wasn't something she asked for. She enjoyed playing house on playdates but when she was given a doll herself as a birthday gift she didn't care either way.

Right now she wants a skateboard. I can't help but think it's because of the neighbor kids but she's still finding herself so who knows. Pre-teens are aliens to begin with with all the hormones and mood swings.

This little girl *gets* it. Who knows, she might be our President some day.

**sorry, didn't realize the OP's article included this same vid. I tend to skim and as I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
I don't think toys that have a gender are a problem (like barbie being female and Ken being male). I think it's unfortunate that many toys are marketed towards a certain gender. There shouldn't be anything inherently male about playing video games, but with few exceptions they are still predominantly marketed at males. Cooking sets and dolls are marketed towards girls even though though having girl parts is not a prerequisite for cooking. When you set limits on girl vs. boy toys, you set limits on children as well.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,750 times
This isn't Lego's first venture into the world of girl legos.

I would say that once you go beyond the basic tubs of loose blocks, most of the lego sets are moe geared to boys.

My daughter is the oldest and had plenty of neutral toys...which ended up being ignored...or played with by her brother.

I'd disagree that every toy is marketed in a gender specific way, but often the consumer assigns that meaning to the toy. Obviously toys like Barbies are marketed in a very specific way.

I read a story about this couple who raised their tow daughters in a supposedly very gender neutral way to the point they declined to reveal the genders of their daughters initially. I couldn't help but feel this was more of a statement by the parents that any feminine traits were bad.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Wow, this debate has taken off around the interwebz!

The first article has some great links worth reading too.

LEGO Friends Petition: Parents, Women And Girls Ask Toy Companies To Stop Gender-Based Marketing

Lego Is for Girls - Businessweek

Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 672 times
I think the world should be free of gender-stereotypes Children should have the option to chose which toys they enjoy. Toys that are "boy" toys teach certain skills, lessons, values; and "girl" toys do as well. They both have advantages that both genders can benefit from!!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,179 times
About the only ting I would allow was my daughter got to play with the "Annual" Toy truck issued by a particular fuel company, and I allowed my son to play with a Cabbage Patch doll. Outside of those two exceptions they played with toys marketed to them based on gender.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
About the only ting I would allow was my daughter got to play with the "Annual" Toy truck issued by a particular fuel company, and I allowed my son to play with a Cabbage Patch doll. Outside of those two exceptions they played with toys marketed to them based on gender.
Why does it matter what toys kids play with?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
There is nothing wrong with "gender specific" toys. They are toys and if you don't want them don't buy them

The "Thomas" thing with the girl...I don't see that as a problem but I don't know why the heck a girl needs boy undies or any undies with characters on them. Marketing ... why fall for it? The toy is enough IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting