Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:35 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Serious question?
the obvious reasons. it is messy, uncomfortable and gets in the way at times. it also happens way too often. in short it is a pain

Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the obvious reasons. it is messy, uncomfortable and gets in the way at times. it also happens way too often. in short it is a pain
THIS^

Seriously, who wants to have a period?
This is the week that I am off the pill and then back on again for like another 3-4 months. I am already regretting it. I COULD just do continuous pills and have one a year if I wanted to but I didn't have it in my budget this past check and now I will have it on Thursday, so it all works out, I needed to take the break in it for the week like usual.

I already regret it though. I can feel the cramps starting.
Luckily the BC has messed with my system and I barely bleed now and when I do its for like a day and a half or two days. Not very long.

Why do we have periods?
Why can't our bodies just work differently? You know...not bleed.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1478971 View Post
Why don't familes have large families today? Don't they see that by contracepting they eventually lower a countries birth rate and eventually make it disappear?

Look at Japan and Germany. Their populations are declining.

What are the reasons for affluent families and countries for that matter have very little kids?
Ha! I'd love to have several children. Are you going to pay for them? We're holding off for the moment because we've run our budget 100 times and there's just no room for added expenses like day care. I hate it! But life is what it is and I'm not going to purposefully bring a kid into this world if I know I won't be able to provide for him or her. That's the bottom line, patriotic duty has no part in it.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
And some people simply don't WANT children of their own.

In addition, there are thousands of unwanted children, and children who were taken out of abusive or neglectful situations. If it's such a big deal to the OP, why doesn't the OP adopt a few of them?

When society can figure out how to put all those abandoned, unwanted, battered, damaged children into good homes, THEN society will be ready to tackle a problem like loss of population.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times
I have heard that children of larger families tend to have lower IQ's than children of smaller families, fwiw.

I keep going back and forth about the amount of children I want. Realistically, I will probably only be able to afford 3, MAYBE a fourth. I would really like a boy and two girls. I'd be depressed if I didn't get them.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Nah, I have reasons why I would get the procedure done to me. NO PERIODS.
I also have one other reason but I won't say it in here.
getting your tubes tied does not stop your periods!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
so they would rather see their country disappear. they need to think about the future
Look around. No country is in danger of disappearing. This thread is ridiculous.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I have heard that children of larger families tend to have lower IQ's than children of smaller families, fwiw.

I keep going back and forth about the amount of children I want. Realistically, I will probably only be able to afford 3, MAYBE a fourth. I would really like a boy and two girls. I'd be depressed if I didn't get them.
When determining your family size, you should make sure you understand the reason larger families tend to have lower IQs. It's not the size of the family that hinders the IQ, it's how the family raises the children. You could still have three or four kids and screw up their IQs.

Quote:
According to the confluence model, "the greater the number of children and the shorter the intervals between successive births, the less mature on the average is the intellectual milieu for each child," Zajonc says.

For example, an only child is exposed mainly to his parents' adult environment--the way they interact and deal with their problems -- and to adult language. "In contrast," he notes, "a child in a family of 10, whose oldest sibling is 12, is surrounded by intellectually immature individuals" with less-developed vocabularies.

Family size tied to SAT, IQ scores | Science News | Find Articles

Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Why don't familes have large families today? Don't they see that by contracepting they eventually lower a countries birth rate and eventually make it disappear?

Look at Japan and Germany. Their populations are declining.

What are the reasons for affluent families and countries for that matter have very little kids?
This is a serious question!? Really? You don't know the answers to this?

1) The cost of living!

2) Fewer farms, needing fewer farm hands

3) Smaller properties and more people living in the city. No animals raised for food and very little foods being grown and put up

4) Women having a CHOICE on limiting the mouths to feed and how much danger she's putting her own life in!

5) Increased survival rates for cryin out loud! Women might have popped out children every year, 100-150 years ago IF those women survived, but a great number of their children died at young ages.

Let's not forget just how C-section happy hospitals and doctors are these days. Most of those women, who have had one C-section are generally refused attempts at subsequent natural births. C-section mothers are discouraged from having a large number of births due to increased risks....hence, smaller families!

It's highly unlikely that our country is going to dwindle down to nothing. Life expectancy is much higher. Folks are simply NOT dying out like they used to. Quite often, due to senior citizens living longer, families find themselves caring for both their children and their parents. Where is the money to come from to raise these large families? Also, as another wise poster mentioned, immigration seems to be working quite well to "overpopulate" our country!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Look around. No country is in danger of disappearing. This thread is ridiculous.
Really. There are SEVEN BILLION EFFIN PEOPLE ON THE PLANET. I don't think we have to worry about anyone disappearing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting