Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

This is such a sad story. Some parents ignore this very real situation and others make fun of special efforts being made to protect children with allergies.

How have you talked to your kids about peanut and other allergies?

7-Year-Old Virginia Girl Dies After Allergic Reaction at School - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Very sad story. I hope they get to the bottom of the debate about whether or not there was Epi-Pen available for this child.

Quote:
But Hopkins Elementary had no such device (Epi-Pen) on hand for Johnson. "At the beginning of the school year, we sent information to parents outlining the different responsibilities for the family and the child, the principal, the teacher, the doctor and the nurse," he said. "First and foremost, is does begin at home. Working with their doctor, the family would outline a health care plan that deals with those severe allergies."

Pendleton told local reporters her daughter did have a plan, but said the school refused to take Johnson's EpiPen and failed to give her Benedryl -- an over-the-counter antihistamine also listed in her plan -- at the first sign of a reaction.
There have been many local deaths as a result of food allergies over the last few months, and the common element is the lack of Epi-Pen on hand.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 AM

I was thinking a lot about this. Should we-who don't need them- carry an Epi Pen just in case we are somewhere where it might be needed? Could the improper use do more harm than good? Such a small thing to carry- I would have my kids teacher have one or else the kid herself have one in her backpack but then again---it probably wouldn't be allowed in school. Such a sad story.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
How sad. That is not right that the school refused the epi pen.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 PM

The problem is you can't have random strangers administering medication, regardless of how good their intentions are.

Even as described in your OP article, the school nurses do not have the authority to administer medications unless all the protocols have been followed. That is the law. The medication must be prescribed by a physician, authorized and supplied by the parent. It is very standard procedure.

My son has a severe food allergy. At the beginning of the school year we have to fill out a gazillion forms, and purchase about 6 Epi-Pens. One goes to the school nurse, he keeps one, I keep one, one stays at home, one goes to the Scout den leader, and one is for spare. At $180 each, that is a lot of money for something that we never use, and expires after a year. Many, many, many people do not keep even one Epi-Pen on hand due to the cost.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
How sad. That is not right that the school refused the epi pen.
The article said the mother did not supply the Epi-Pen and supporting prescription. The mother said she did. Who knows?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM

OMG I had no idea how expensive they are or that their shelf life is so short. And of course it is medicine and can't be administered without proper procedures. I was speaking from my heart and not my brain. And I doubt I would have the nerve to use one on a stranger.

It was such a waste of a precious young life when it could have been avoided.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
This is very sad and my prayers go out to her family.

I don't understand why the school wouldn't take her Epipen? And why they didn't give her Benedryl as stated in her care plan at the school? Seems that the school officials dropped the ball on this one and may be getting sued.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
The mother said the school refused to take the epi pen when she provided it.

I suspect they refused it because the prescription wasn't attached to it, like maybe it wasn't in the the prescription labeled box.

Not sure why the title says "Have we talked to our kids." There's not really much to talk to our kids about.

But this is article certainly provides a strong argument for allowing schools to stock epi pens like bandaids.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But this is article certainly provides a strong argument for allowing schools to stock epi pens like bandaids.
This has been debated for a long time now. Most school nurses are not RN's. Many schools do not even have school nurses. Someone is going to have to make the decision to give the Epi-Pen, and if there is no nurse, then who? It would be a logistical (and sadly litigious) nightmare to have people working in school dispensing drugs without prescriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting