Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:55 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times

Advertisements

Make sure to keep track of when you sign up - they will automatically renew & bill you without notice if you don't cancel well before the deadline to cancel.

You will need to pay to get the contact information of anybody on there. Profiles are edited before going "live" on there, so you can't really put secret contact info in your profile.

We found an excellent cleaning woman on there, and had several good choices for potential nannies, but we ended up not doing the nanny thing when we had to relocate for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
My fiance was a nanny for 2 years for four kids while on nursing school. She found the job through care.com, worked out very well for her.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:45 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
My daughter found two of her nanny jobs on there. Great site.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,700 times
Hi, do not use Care.com is care about your children's safety. The caregivers are not vetted at all and the backgrounds checks provided are cut rate.com and are mostly incorrect and incomplete. Many parents find themselves with drug addicts or homeless persons. Care.com has a horrible, horrible reputation for being the fast food of care giving and is being sued daily. The BBB covers for them by charging Care.com $500 a year for a membership fee. This allows Care.com to monitor reviews and maintain an false "A" rating. Care.com owns and operated the blogs at the top of the pile when googled and no one is allowed to comment on anything other than how great the company is..or the auto renew billing. Sitejabber, Reviewopedia, and "Complaints board" have real up to date reviews that are accurate. Some blogs that are accurate are waffles at noon, one nanny's experience and Welcome to the dollhouse (Care.com Doesnt Care) for real opinions from working parents and nannys as well. 2 American families have already come home to dead babies left with a Care.com sitter. Dont be next.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:48 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debcan View Post
Hi, do not use Care.com is care about your children's safety. The caregivers are not vetted at all and the backgrounds checks provided are cut rate.com and are mostly incorrect and incomplete. Many parents find themselves with drug addicts or homeless persons. Care.com has a horrible, horrible reputation for being the fast food of care giving and is being sued daily. The BBB covers for them by charging Care.com $500 a year for a membership fee. This allows Care.com to monitor reviews and maintain an false "A" rating. Care.com owns and operated the blogs at the top of the pile when googled and no one is allowed to comment on anything other than how great the company is..or the auto renew billing. Sitejabber, Reviewopedia, and "Complaints board" have real up to date reviews that are accurate. Some blogs that are accurate are waffles at noon, one nanny's experience and Welcome to the dollhouse (Care.com Doesnt Care) for real opinions from working parents and nannys as well. 2 American families have already come home to dead babies left with a Care.com sitter. Dont be next.
Ive used care.com for sitters and housekeepers and tutors for years and have never had a addict or homeless person. This is the most out there post I have ever read in my life. You have to interview and check references like all places.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:14 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
I used it to find an babysitter for occasional use once my daughter was around 4.5 years old. By that point she was talking and could recite and call my phone number if needed. It worked out fine - the young woman was a college student going on to graduate school. She didn't have a lot of babysitting experience but showed up with puppets and some craft supplies.

I did pay for the extra screening and tipped her well since I suspected she had to kick back something to care.com. The sitter lived quite close the house and we met at a local coffee shop before the date I needed her - I paid her for that as well.

I was kinda in a bind when I first used them - my husband was away on business, we had moved a few months previously to an area we had lived previously. I had a court date at the local courthouse - I was suing former tenants and since I was the one who originated the case I wasn't allowed to reschedule. I had intended to use a local childcare places that had drop-off hours but they shut down right before my court date.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I used it to find an babysitter for occasional use once my daughter was around 4.5 years old. By that point she was talking and could recite and call my phone number if needed. It worked out fine - the young woman was a college student going on to graduate school. She didn't have a lot of babysitting experience but showed up with puppets and some craft supplies.

I did pay for the extra screening and tipped her well since I suspected she had to kick back something to care.com. The sitter lived quite close the house and we met at a local coffee shop before the date I needed her - I paid her for that as well.

I was kinda in a bind when I first used them - my husband was away on business, we had moved a few months previously to an area we had lived previously. I had a court date at the local courthouse - I was suing former tenants and since I was the one who originated the case I wasn't allowed to reschedule. I had intended to use a local childcare places that had drop-off hours but they shut down right before my court date.
The workers don't pay, the employers do ($35 a month to belong). Care.com isn't their boss or anything, its just a listing service.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
I have a profile there and have gotten jobs. I worked as an upscale nanny for 9 years. 2 families came from that site, the others I found on Craigslist. Care.com is a much better and safer resource than Craigslist, if I do say so myself.. go for it. Meet some prospective workers and see which one you like best.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 AM

Before care.com I was using a professional sitter service. They sent over random people, it seemed like you never could get the same person twice in a row. And the last two were nightmares. One only liked working with infants. She came when I was recovering from major surgery and I asked her to take care of the kids, get them out of the house, keep them busy so they wouldn't focus on me being so sick. She sat and played on her ipad all day while the children sat and watched me sleep. No kidding, all day. My niece was in and out of the house, and I was in and out of consciousness. So I ran it by my niece and she said she had fed the kids herself because the sitter wouldn't stop playing with her ipad to do it. Neither of us ever saw her do anything with the kids

I fired her, clearly. The next one they sent over smelled of alcohol and seemed drunk. I sent her away at the door. I let the agency know how I felt and didn't have anyone else come over.

I like care.com a lot better because I can see reviews, get back ground checks and interview people instead of trusting a service to do that for me. Plus I know my sitter is getting what I am paying them, with services they take a huge chunk of the money from the employee.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
I used sittercity.com which is just like care.com. I found my son's 1st babysitter on there. Just like any sitter you need to interview them before you leave your kids or an elderly person with them. I did weed out one girl. I have a FLEO in the family and I asked if I could have him run a background check on her. She ran and never looked back. I wasn't going to have him do it but they didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting