Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Do/did you breastfeed? Yes, I breastfed my daughter.
Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed? For the nutritional value, the immune-boosting properties and the convenience.
Do you breastfeed in public? I did when she was very young and immobile but not so much as she got to be more active. I always tried to cover up with a blanket of some sort.
How do you feel about public breastfeeding? When it's time to feed the baby, it's time to feed the baby.
Do you believe that formula is the same? No.
Do you believe "breast is best"? Yes.
How long did you breastfeed? Til my daughter was 3 1/2. I pumped at work til she was about a year old for feedings when she was at the babysitter.
Why did you stop when you did? My back hurt when I would nurse her at night and I was just tired of it. If I'd let her self-wean I can't imagine now long we would have gone. She showed no intention of stopping on her own.
I'm glad I had the opportunity to breastfeed, and glad there is formula out there for women who can't or don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Do/did you breastfeed?
Yes, I breastfeed. I also pumped at work. Neither of my kids has ever had formula at all.

Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed?
I took my first immunology class as an undergrad and learned that breastmilk is a living substance with so many immune factors in it. After learning about immunology, I knew I would breastfeed.

Do you breastfeed in public?
Yes, many times.

How do you feel about public breastfeeding?
I feel that a mother should be able to feel comfortable breastfeeding her child in any location where another mother would feel comfortable bottle-feeding her child.

Do you believe that formula is the same?
No, for as many advances that they make, formula will never contain custom antibodies or live immune cells.

Do you believe "breast is best"?
I believe that mother's milk is the normal, intended food for a mammal baby, and that formula is an adequate substitute when breast milk is not available.

How long did you breastfeed?
My oldest weaned at 4.5 years. My youngest is still nursing at 2.75 years. I pumped at work until 12 months with my first (she didn't take a bottle anyway, so I was just pumping for my comfort and supply), and until 20 months with my second (since she did actually drink the expressed milk).

Why did you stop when you did?
I practice child-led weaning. I believe that my children will naturally outgrow the need to nurse in their own time.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
I always have to post my experience on these threads. I was a breastfed baby until I was like 2 (!) my mom was in La Leche in the 70s. I have partial hearing loss from too many ear infections...not that the two are related but there you go.

We adopted our daughter in Central Asia in 2005. She was taken off formula in her orphanage at 4mths old and put on pureed beef stew and goat milk, she was never breast fed a day in her life. At 7 she's a honor student, in the 98% for height and has never had an ear infection in her entire life.

I would have loved to have breast fed my daughter, I would never wish for any child to be put on beef stew at 4mths old or to experience life in an institution. But being breastfed is certainly not the hinge to all good health and intelligence either.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Do/did you breastfeed?
Yes, I breastfeed. I also pumped at work. Neither of my kids has ever had formula at all.

Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed?
I took my first immunology class as an undergrad and learned that breastmilk is a living substance with so many immune factors in it. After learning about immunology, I knew I would breastfeed.

Do you breastfeed in public?
Yes, many times.

How do you feel about public breastfeeding?
I feel that a mother should be able to feel comfortable breastfeeding her child in any location where another mother would feel comfortable bottle-feeding her child.

Do you believe that formula is the same?
No, for as many advances that they make, formula will never contain custom antibodies or live immune cells.

Do you believe "breast is best"?
I believe that mother's milk is the normal, intended food for a mammal baby, and that formula is an adequate substitute when breast milk is not available.

How long did you breastfeed?
My oldest weaned at 4.5 years. My youngest is still nursing at 2.75 years. I pumped at work until 12 months with my first (she didn't take a bottle anyway, so I was just pumping for my comfort and supply), and until 20 months with my second (since she did actually drink the expressed milk).

Why did you stop when you did?
I practice child-led weaning. I believe that my children will naturally outgrow the need to nurse in their own time.

What did they eat while you were working. Just curious as im in this position now.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Congratulations on your beautiful amazing healthy daughter. Its wonderful that you found one another and she is able to fulfill you. I dont believe that breastfeeding makes you necessarily smarter or not breastfeeding makes you less healthy. I do believe that the different sort of sucking motion involved in breastfeeding leads to better ear development than a bottle, this is not always the case, nothing ever is, but there is scientific evidence to support this. I am pleased that bottle makers are making a concerted effort to create bottle the more mimic the sucking motion of nursing. There is the added benefit of the immune system that kept you alive in the womb is also the immune system being fed directly to you but then modern medicine and formula are very able to provide you with the antibodies you need. Breastfeeding or not breastfeeding doesnt make you a better or worse mother, it just means you made a choice for your child.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,385 times
And dont forget breastmilk tastes better! Formula is gross tasting.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times
I have noticed an odor. Ive never tasted either though im pretty sure my husband tried formula formula smells kind of gross though

Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
What did they eat while you were working. Just curious as im in this position now.
I nursed her at drop-off and pick-up at the daycare, and I also went there to nurse during my lunch break. And she reverse cycled - nursed during the night. Basically, while some babies may go for long stretches at night without eating, mine did it during the day. Once she was old enough for solids, she ate all her solids at daycare and none at home for a long time.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
Do/did you breastfeed? Yes. My daughter is 20 months and is basically weaned at this point, she will nurse for comfort when needed but those times are fewer and farther between.
Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed? I did a lot of research and the benefits of breastfeeding were important to me. Even before the research, I knew that's how I wanted to feed her.
Do you breastfeed in public? I did, using a special cover.
How do you feel about public breastfeeding? I think it's fine and don't really understand the controversy.
Do you believe that formula is the same? No, because it's not the same. But that is each individual's choice to make.
Do you believe "breast is best"? I do, for me and my daughter.
How long did you breastfeed? As long as she needed it.
Why did you stop when you did? Since she is weaned for the most part and eating solid foods, she rarely needs to nurse anymore, except occasionally for comfort.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,264 times
Do/did you breastfeed? Yes, both times

Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed? Mostly because I never thought formula was an option, I was raised around breastfeeding, so that's the only thing I really knew about.

Do you breastfeed in public?I did, and no one ever knew! shhh

How do you feel about public breastfeeding? I would like to see more of it. Nothing more beautiful than a baby getting their fill of "nin nin".

Do you believe that formula is the same? no way no how, not even close.

Do you believe "breast is best"? 100%

How long did you breastfeed? my first was 22 months and I only weaned him because I was 8 months preggers with my 2nd. My seconed weaned at 18 months because of marital problems and other issues. Neither of us wanted to give it up, but things were too difficult for me to keep going. Very sad!

Why did you stop when you did? See above

While I do believe that breast is best, formula is an acceptable alternative if it's absolutely neccesary. I know that there are some who answered this questionaire with problems with breast feeding. I'd like to mention something to anyone reading this thread who is or may someday have problems... DON'T GIVE UP!!! You CAN breastfeed your baby.

If you don't have family support that can help you through the difficult times in the beginning, find a lactation consultant or a close friend who has breast fed before. The first few weeks with your first baby is the MOST difficult to get through. Just because you don't think (or sometimes even your doctor might tell you) that you're baby isn't "getting enough milk", it is not always accurate. And it doesn't mean it will continue to be that way.

If you stop breastfeeding because it's diffidult after a couple of weeks of trying, then your milk will stop producing. Sometimes it takes a while for the milk to start coming down and out, but it will eventually work and you will be able to breast feed your baby. But seek help, and don't just take your doctors word for it. Find someone who actually knows about breastfeeding!

With my first son, the milk didn't seem to be coming (it was, but it didn't seem like it). My VERY old and old fashioned pediatrician kept trying to talk me out of breastfeeding. My husband at the time kept pressuring me to follow the doctors advice. I almost gave up, even fed my baby formula for a day, and then talked with my mom and went back to breastfeeding. It hurt, it took a long time (I'd say 3-4 weeks) of breastfeeding or trying to constantly, and then suddenly "whoosh" it all came flooding in. If I hadn't kept going, if I hadn't had my mom there encouraging me, supporting me, I never would have breast fed my oldest.

Does this happen to everyone? No, but it is more common than most people think. Most people think that if you can't feed very well within a few weeks that you never will, and that's not true at all. So please, don't give up!! Find support and get the help and encouragment you need!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting