Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
There are TONS of things in this world that can kill you, many even far worse than HPV. You can't vaccinate for EVERYTHING that comes out as this just creates new strains. Vaccinations aren't always great, the end all to save all, and this vax doesn't even cover ALL STRAINS. If you are worried about HPV from door handles, public toilets, sink faucets, ect, then maybe you should never leave home. Go live in a bubble in your home and see how wonderful that life is.

Sorry, I was ORDERED to take vaccinations that was told would prevent me from this and that, one that didn't have a long enough study (just like HPV vax) and that nothing would go wrong from them. BS. That vax was Anthrax.

So no, I will NOT be getting the vax for my son. He can do so if he wishes when he turns 18.
You do not understand vaccines.

This vaccine doesn't cover all strains of HPV, but it covers the strains that cause the majority of the cancers. Sure, there are many things that can kill you. Why wouldn't you want to protect yourself against those things that it is possible to protect against?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Katiana,

You are being quite rude to assert your opinion on a person who never asked for it.

YES... my son is 18

NO... not EVERYONE is at risk eventually

Your advice is pedestrian and unwelcome.
Explain "pedestrian".

Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,962 times
I already have and the mods took my posts probably because of you or your other handle reported them. Ask the mods or use an online dictionary using your domain of knowledge ( ie: google)

Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I already have and the mods took my posts probably because of you or your other handle reported them. Ask the mods or use an online dictionary using your domain of knowledge ( ie: google)
My other handle? What on earth are you accusing me of?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do not understand vaccines.

This vaccine doesn't cover all strains of HPV, but it covers the strains that cause the majority of the cancers. Sure, there are many things that can kill you. Why wouldn't you want to protect yourself against those things that it is possible to protect against?
The vaccine covers the strains that cause the majority of cancers?

No. The vaccine covers the strains that are linked to around 70 percent of HPV related cancers, not ALL cancers.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Quote:
I haven't even met Katiana (although I would like to), and we most certainly aren't the same person. And in case you didn't notice all my posts were deleted, why would I report myself?

"Domain knowledge" is not the same is using Google. Good grief!

Anyway, back on topic, here is some info on strains and coverage:

http://www.kaiseredu.org/Issue-Modul...und-Brief.aspx

Last edited by Zimbochick; 07-23-2013 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 PM

37,132 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:

No. The vaccine covers the strains that are linked to around 70 percent of HPV related cancers, not ALL cancers.
Since the discussion is about HPV, the inference is that Katiana meant the vaccine covers the types of cancers caused by HPV. In addition, there is a degree of cross protection for some strains not in the vaccine.

Although the goal is to reduce the risk of cancer --- and there is no Pap smear for throat cancer, by the way --- the vaccine also reduces the burden of treatment for warts. Not all warts go away by themselves, and they can be difficult and painful to treat.

The vaccine is safe and effective. There is really no reason to delay taking it until onset of sexual activity is imminent.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:

LOL, you think Zimbo and I are one and the same? Too funny!

I also had some posts deleted, but your post saying my advice was pedestrian was allowed to stand, even though insults are supposed to be against the TOS.

Do you know the meaning of "majority"?? Where did I say "all HPV related cancers"? Please reference.

Here is a tutorial that even the antivax among us can understand:
Understanding Cancer Series: HPV Vaccine - National Cancer Institute

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 PM

If the vaccine is safe, why has Japan pulled its recommendation for getting the vaccine while further studies are being conducted? Google it...

I'm not against vaccinations, I'm just against misinformation and am careful to not give any passes to big pharma. I have a beef with them, if you must know.

The onus of proof is on Merck and its studies to quantify its claims.

On a personal note:

I do not understand anyone feeling uncomfortable in allowing people to have reservations about a vaccine that was fast tracked. People have the right to make their own medical decisions based on their own personal medical issues.

The vaccine has risks and limitations. It has not proven itself to guard against cancer, though it is expected to, and it has some serious risks involved, and the rate of side effects appear to be higher than wit other vaccines. If you believe the marketing of Merck, you may not believe so. But, if you look deeper you will find my assertion is not unfounded.

This breakthrough in vaccinations is pretty remarkable, but it has risks and is still very VERY early on in its application to prove all of its claims. The general public has a right to be cautious.

Last edited by Robinstyler; 07-23-2013 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Typos caused by the hazards of typing on an iDevice

Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,091,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Since the discussion is about HPV, the inference is that Katiana meant the vaccine covers the types of cancers caused by HPV. In addition, there is a degree of cross protection for some strains not in the vaccine.

Although the goal is to reduce the risk of cancer --- and there is no Pap smear for throat cancer, by the way --- the vaccine also reduces the burden of treatment for warts. Not all warts go away by themselves, and they can be difficult and painful to treat.

The vaccine is safe and effective. There is really no reason to delay taking it until onset of sexual activity is imminent.
We really don't know that. The vaccine was fast tracked and not fully studied. I'm not anti-vax by any stretch of the imagination, but this is one that I wouldn't do as of yet. I don't think it's been around long enough to really know if it's safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting