Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,693 times

Advertisements

I didnt say bundled up. I said dressed. Im sure they arent naked. And all mothers no matter what your reasoning is leaves a child completely unnattended. The mothers may be inside but im certain that the mothers checked them often. The also dont just leave them outside for hours unsupervised.

I would be just as upset, im not outraged, if the child wasnt whining. Just because i know what snow feels like and it hurts your hands. When the kid was running it upset me but him doing pushups is what really hurt me. I know how much snow hurts. When you were running in the snow or the winter you werent INVOLUNTARILY being made to play with the snow barehanded. And you also CHOSE to run half naked in the snow, that little boy didnt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
i have a friend who is part Korean and he told me that the way they bring up and treat their kids is so different and show little affection compared to americans
I don't know what kind of Korean family your friend came from but when I lived in Korea I found that the families spent more time together, were very passionate about their kids and saw very caring parents. I didn't see anything I would consider Americans doing better. As a matter of fact their teenagers were not allowed to do half the dangerous crap I see American teens do. I was amazed on how the Koreans were very close nit and put a lot into their kids and their kids futures. Sorry for your friend but I just didn't see that at all. Quite the opposite actually.
It's crowded and they don't worry as much about things we worry about but "little affection?" You have to be kidding me, they are very affectionate people in general. Out of all the Asian countries I lived in, I found Korea to be one of the most affectionate of all.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
If he did need help I'm sure Dad or mom would have stepped in and not let him fall prey to hypothermia.
Isn't this a bit inconsistent with the whole "Gotta toughen the boy up!" mindset?

Honestly, I find the whole thing you're defending (and your defense) beyond ignorant. How do Americans crank out kids who are straight A students, highly successful in life, well-adjusted when this practice is clearly unheard of in American culture? Apparently, making your kid run half-naked in the snow isn't necessary. Parents with brains know this. Parents without them waste time watching their son cry in his underwear while they themselves cling to the delusion that they're actually parenting.

I'd like to "parent" this father for a few minutes... with a baseball bat

Primitive non-ideas. Here's how you deal with the cold: Put on a frickin jacket and go about your life! And it doesn't take near as long to teach your kid that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting