Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:57 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,750,034 times

Advertisements

I hope you will watch the whole video because I think it raises a lot of questions about this particular parenting situation.

I will withold my opinion for now because I am not quite convinced of it yet and would like to hear some feedback.

Father shoots daughter's laptop over Facebook dispute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,727,557 times
Well ... I guess he showed her.

What a waste. Better to have wiped the hard drive and donated the laptop somewhere. Or decommissioned it and let the girl earn it back. Or sold it on Craigslist and bought a Roomba. Or just turned off the kid's Internet access. Do I live in an alternate universe, or do laptops cost several hundred dollars? Would I set several hundred dollars on fire, or put it through a shredder in a fit of pique?

I don't understand these sensationalist "news" articles that talk about what one wackaloon parent did here or there. Cowboy hat dad shoots laptop! Tattoo mom shoots jellybeans out of her nose! Professional jugglers fart in car while baby sleeps! It's all so ... zoo-like.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
I think the last paragraph is sad, that the writer of the article said the thing kids can learn from this experience is to "keep their personal information secure."

I know it's in a tech journal, not a parenting mag, but still...

I think the father actually handled this fine. Yes, it's a waste, but it's his choice to use his resources as he sees fit. Overly dramatic, yes, but if he's legally permitted to own the gun and legally allowed to fire it where he was, then I have no problem with it. Kids don't have a constitutional right to use a laptop or post on FB. If this is how he can get her attention, so be it.

Of course, I have no experience with their family, but I do have experience with entitled, naive, self-absorbed teens.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,294,241 times
Eh somehow i can't imagine his little quip about his daughter being "okay with it" as true. I also like how he would punish her for basically doing nothing wrong. IDK but this story seems like it's cooked up BS to me.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 AM

I mean i don't get what she did that pretty much every teen doesn't do. And to be honest if my parents had done that i would be beyond livid. Chances are given my flash like temper i would trash their computer actually. Though lets be clear i also have always bought my own computers so i would have a bit more of a right to be mad i think.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM

840 posts, read 781,982 times
Loved it. Way to go to that father...maybe now it will sink in with his daughter.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't understand these sensationalist "news" articles that talk about what one wackaloon parent did here or there. Cowboy hat dad shoots laptop! Tattoo mom shoots jellybeans out of her nose! Professional jugglers fart in car while baby sleeps! It's all so ... zoo-like.
Agreed. It seems to me that parenting topics are no different than the rest of the areas covered by the media - find the most extreme example possible, find its extreme opposite and let the bickering ensue. Never mind that it doesn't reflect the majority of what goes on in the world, or solve anything, or even involve productive discussion most of the time. Let's just see who can yell the loudest. It is beyond frustrating to me.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Loved it. Way to go to that father...maybe now it will sink in with his daughter.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,750,034 times
I am leaning toward the father going overboard with the public humiliation and the act of violence using a gun.

Yes, the violence was toward the computer, but the message was more nuanced. "I can literally destroy the things you care about." I hate that he used a gun to do it, because handguns carry the imagery of violence against other humans. Shotgun, crossbow, not so much. It just seemed...threatening to me.

Also, I am not sure what the teen is being punished for. Blocking her parents from her FB? (seems like an ok act of preserving privacy) Complaining to her friends? Again, seem reasonable for a teen. Cursing? Hm.

Yes, the girl posted her *****-bomb on FB (which persumably only her friends could see) But her father posted a video that every human being with Internet access could see, and now it has gone viral, just like he had hoped. That seems more like an act of vindictiveness that has no place in a parent-child relationship.

The guy seemed to like the cigarette-smoking, weapon-toting, male dominating machismo of the whole scene a little too much if you asked me.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
There's nothing macho about shooting a laptop. I'm betting dude was a fat, hairy guy from middle earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting