Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM04 View Post
This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it when friends or relatives are wearing perfume or a strong scented body lotion and hold my babies. Their clothes and hair wind up reeking of perfume and I get so grossed out. I can hardly wait to bathe them. I don't want to be rude and tell perfume wearing people they can't hold my children, so I just deal with it. Does this bother anyone else? How do you handle it?

You can always hand them your baby without a dipper on. Even more fun if its a baby boy and you feed him a lot of liquids.

busta
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,840 times
Really people? I would think you'd have other things to worry about with a child then someones soaps, lotions...

Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
My bf's mother is like that. I just deal with it. When she picks my DD up she usually crys (my theory is she can sense the lady is just EVIL lol) but I usually make a comment like she might not like your perfume or your perfume is too strong so hopefully she gets the hint.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelgirl66 View Post
Really people? I would think you'd have other things to worry about with a child then someones soaps, lotions...
obviously you have never had to deal with a multi hour or day headache brought on by excessive scents. Actually I know very few people who wear scents anymore. The general population needs to be made more aware of how perfumes and scents can cause a lot of people extreme grief and discomfort. I equate it with 2nd hand cigarette smoke.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default scents and sensibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
obviously you have never had to deal with a multi hour or day headache brought on by excessive scents. Actually I know very few people who wear scents anymore. The general population needs to be made more aware of how perfumes and scents can cause a lot of people extreme grief and discomfort. I equate it with 2nd hand cigarette smoke.
I really wonder if all of these sensitivities are because of the proliferation of chemically enhanced and artificial compounds, now used to make "perfumes", less expensive. Every celebrity and designer seems to have a perfume with their name attached.

I, myself am terribly sensitive to scents in laundry detergent and other cleaning supplies, (my skin actually breaks out) as well as overdone cheap perfume. I have had to go as far as bringing travel sheets to hotels in order to get a good nights sleep.

I have no problem with, and use, the older Chanel scents, and others like White Shoulders, and Shalimar.

Just food for thought

Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 11,122 times
Default Baby's sensitivity to cologne

My 4 1/2 mo old grandson started getting congested right after he started daycare at 3 months. My daughter in law says it's cologne or strong scented lotions, etc., since she is allergic to these, so shortly after she asked me before she would allow me to hold him if I wearing such. I said "No" and she said, "Are you sure?" which hurt my feelings because I wouldn't think of being dishonest. When I later got to keep the baby one day after a month, as soon as I arrived she said I had on "something" offensive, but I had on no cologne and no body lotion. I told her it could only be my body wash, so I immediately went and took a shower and put on my son's clothes while mine were in the washer so nothing would bother the baby. She called me this week, the night before I was supposed to come again, and asked that I take a shower the night before and not wear any makeup because he'd been sick ever since I'd kept him... She is convinced that it is me that is making him sick, yet he goes to daycare every day. She said it has to be someone he's in prolonged contact with, and no one at daycare is sick. Let me hear from other grandmothers and also daughters in law out there. Does this sound reasonable to you? Or is she being unreasonable? This is her first child, so I'm trying to be understanding and patient, but it's getting to be a bit much. I've tried to do everything she's asked, to not intrude, and not give advice, but it's beginning to feel like she's looking for an excuse to keep me away from my only grandchild... She's a terrific mom, is breast feeding and doing everything right and I've bragged on her and my son. But they're breaking my heart with this kind of stuff... (We had planned for me to keep the baby when she went back to work, but they decided day care was better, for socialization. At 3 mo old...) Help me understand if I'm just taking this all wrong or if she's really being unreasonable, and how can I deal with it and still build a good relationship where it's already been tenuous? Serious replies only, please...

Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Must be your first baby. I never cared what anyone was wearing when they wanted to hold any of my kids. I just threw the kid, and ran. Any relative that wanted to take any of my kids, could have 'em...any time, for any length of time...
(I guess I am just a rotten Mom).

Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it when friends or relatives are wearing perfume or a strong scented body lotion and hold my babies. Their clothes and hair wind up reeking of perfume and I get so grossed out. I can hardly wait to bathe them. I don't want to be rude and tell perfume wearing people they can't hold my children, so I just deal with it. Does this bother anyone else? How do you handle it?
YES. This still bothers me and my kids are in middle school and high school. When they go over someone's house for a sleepover, for example, and they come home smelling like perfume or dog or whatever that other person's home smells like. UGH! I have to wash everything, sometimes twice if it is cigarettes. That is the worst. NO - the worst is cat pee. Once there was cat pee on the floor near where my son had to sleep in his sleeping bag. He came home and stunk of cat pee. We threw the sleeping bag away. It was horrible. For some reason my husband and boys never smell a thing but I smell everything.

There's really nothing you can do. Aside from coming up with some big lie about how your baby has asthma and strong odors trigger breathing problems or something like that. but I don't advocate dishonesty. Just wash everything right away to get the stink off.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistletoe2003 View Post
My 4 1/2 mo old grandson started getting congested right after he started daycare at 3 months. My daughter in law says it's cologne or strong scented lotions, etc., since she is allergic to these, so shortly after she asked me before she would allow me to hold him if I wearing such. I said "No" and she said, "Are you sure?" which hurt my feelings because I wouldn't think of being dishonest. When I later got to keep the baby one day after a month, as soon as I arrived she said I had on "something" offensive, but I had on no cologne and no body lotion. I told her it could only be my body wash, so I immediately went and took a shower and put on my son's clothes while mine were in the washer so nothing would bother the baby. She called me this week, the night before I was supposed to come again, and asked that I take a shower the night before and not wear any makeup because he'd been sick ever since I'd kept him... She is convinced that it is me that is making him sick, yet he goes to daycare every day. She said it has to be someone he's in prolonged contact with, and no one at daycare is sick. Let me hear from other grandmothers and also daughters in law out there. Does this sound reasonable to you? Or is she being unreasonable? This is her first child, so I'm trying to be understanding and patient, but it's getting to be a bit much. I've tried to do everything she's asked, to not intrude, and not give advice, but it's beginning to feel like she's looking for an excuse to keep me away from my only grandchild... She's a terrific mom, is breast feeding and doing everything right and I've bragged on her and my son. But they're breaking my heart with this kind of stuff... (We had planned for me to keep the baby when she went back to work, but they decided day care was better, for socialization. At 3 mo old...) Help me understand if I'm just taking this all wrong or if she's really being unreasonable, and how can I deal with it and still build a good relationship where it's already been tenuous? Serious replies only, please...
Unless you are a smoker, she's being completely unreasonable. I would say looney. Several of my friends' children are in daycare and they were sick all the time in the beginning. And when one gets it, they all get it. How often do you see the baby? It doesn't sound like the baby even HAS prolonged exposure to you. What happened the last time - did you follow the sterilization instructions, and did she allow you to stay? Ask her what kind of soap and laundry detergent her own Mother uses - I'm sure she has no problem with her.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
hopefully not off topic.

Did you know that in some culture they actually have cologne FOR babies? Considering how babies smell most of the time (except for that 3 minute window immediately after bathing), I would personally be happy for some other smell besides dirty diaper and stale burped up formula/breast milk. But, hey that's me.

To answer your question (so as to me not completely OT), It wouldn't bother me.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting