Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you have your daughter vaccinated for HPV?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times

Advertisements

This thread is not new. It was started in 2007......in case anyone didn't notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Epiglottitis? I've never even heard of that. I'm assuming it's inflammation of the epiglottis (the punching bag in the back of your throat, for those who never looked it up to find out what that THING was called, heh)...

Is it even common and dangerous enough that it's worth caring about enough to vaccinate? I mean, other than the ability to gargle mouthwash, I'm not even sure what that thing is FOR.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Epiglottitis? I've never even heard of that. I'm assuming it's inflammation of the epiglottis (the punching bag in the back of your throat, for those who never looked it up to find out what that THING was called, heh)...

Is it even common and dangerous enough that it's worth caring about enough to vaccinate? I mean, other than the ability to gargle mouthwash, I'm not even sure what that thing is FOR.
The epiglottis is used to make sure the right things go down the right tubes. This is why people will over start to choke if they talk while eating. The epiglottis will be over the wrong tube if you're talking, and it's very common for the food to try to go down the wrong tube.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Cool! I never even thought to wonder why I had one. I just assumed it was sort of like the appendix; some unneccessary, possibly vestigial thing in the body.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Actually, I made a slight error. When talking, the epiglottis doesn't stay closed, which is why the food will go down the wrong tube. I knew it didn't seem right when I was explaining it. My family thinks I'm weird when it happens to me and I just say that my epiglottis didn't close.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

It used to be, prior to the hib vaccine.

Epiglottitis - MayoClinic.com
Epiglottitis is a potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when the epiglottis — a small cartilage "lid" that covers your windpipe — swells, blocking the flow of air into your lungs.

Epiglottitis is a medical emergency.

Preparing for your appointment
By Mayo Clinic staff

The first doctor you'll see will probably be an emergency room physician.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
I'm going to ask this -

It's my understanding that there are different types of cervical cancer and that the only ones that the vaccine helps to prevent are those that are sexually transmitted.

I asked the same question of an ob/gyn (admittedly, several years ago), and they said that the vaccine wasn't necessary for anyone abstinent. She said that if my dh and I were (had been) truly monogomous, then the types of cervical cancer it protects against were not an issue for me. She advised against it. This made sense to me in conjunction with what another gyn had told me about cervical cancer (prior to HPV Vaccine being invented).

Has something changed? Or is that false information? Does someone have a link? The articles I've seen have been vague about this point.

Okay, found it - apparently it IS only the sexually transmitted type.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cer...SECTIONGROUP=2

Last edited by sskkc; 01-21-2011 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Update after finding a link

Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Cervical cancer isn't sexually transmitted. HPV (human papilloma virus) is sexually transmitted. HPV causes cervical cancer. Not everyone who has cervical cancer also has HPV, and not everyone with HPV will get cervical cancer.

The *most prominent strains* of HPV virus to cause cervical cancer, are the strains that the vaccine prevents.

In other words, the vaccine prevents the strains of HPV that are most likely to cause cancer. That is the reason it is so widely recommended by gynecologists. The odds of getting HPV, if you are -not- vaccinated, is ENORMOUS. The odds of that HPV causing cervical cancer is -not- enormous. But it IS significant enough that gynecologists are more likely to recommend the vaccine, than not.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Controversial HPV Vaccine Causing One Death Per Month: FDA Report | LifeSiteNews.com

Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

WOW!

The amount of money that Merck stands to make on this really scares me. I believe it's the most expensive vaccine on the market right now.

Here's a more recent article.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/update-foia-uncovers-16-new-gardasil-related-deaths (broken link)

This is insane. Why are we pushing this vaccine? It MAY prevent getting a virus that MAY result in you getting cancer years down the road. It's not like we're stopping a disease like measles that can spread through the population like wildfire. Why are they experimenting on our daughters? I am so glad our pediatrician didn't push this when I raised concerns. I think I'll take a permanent pass on this one.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vac.../gardasil.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4781658.shtml

"The National Vaccine Information Center, a private vaccine-safety group, compared Gardasil adverse events to another vaccine, one also given to young people, but for meningitis. Gardasil had three times the number of Emergency Room visits - more than 5,000. Reports of side effects were up to 30 times higher with Gardasil."

This last part is scary since I hesitated on the meningitis vaccine because it is considered risky but what it prevents is worth the risk. I'm not convinced that's the case with Guardasil.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-23-2011 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting