Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Anyway, I am grateful that they love me enough to seek me out on these matters but I really would like to complete a task every once in a while without being summoned to see a weird looking potato chip or some random sports playback on ESPN.

Am I the only one with a "Show Mommy!" family?
Nope, you aren't the only one; but like you I do apprecieate it and don't get "too" annoyed, nor do I think it's rude.

Especially when you have teenagers, it happens less and less and you tend to miss it more and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This board is just hilarious at the moment. It is possible to set limits, and enjoy spontaneous silly moments too. The choices are not either militaristic or laissez-faire. Just because someone finds this funny in their own life does not mean one drops everything important every time a child makes a peep.
But she made it sound like she is going buhzirk (I don't know the spelling of this word). Jokingly or not.
She wasn't talking about "spontaneous silly moments".
She was talking about a constant stream of "moments". Or was it just me?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Okay, this thread is somewhat lighthearted, so don't flame me. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
But she made it sound like she is going buhzirk (I don't know the spelling of this word). Jokingly or not.
It was just you!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I do not like being "summoned" as I call it. If you call me, you should have a good reason like, "I can't stop what I am doing" or "I need help!" "I don't feel like getting off the couch" is NOT a good reason.

If I summon you, I do have a good reason. I may be in the middle of dinner or folding laundry or something. If I call you, come. Do not scream, "Whaaat?" across the house.

My kids know that I cannot look at them every five seconds when I am working, making dinner, driving, etc. That doesn't stop them bugging me! But they usually accept "I'm ________ and can't come look right now."

Do NOT talk to me when I am on the phone unless I need to call 911. I hate that.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

Oh, I'm sorry for the confusion! For the record I am an easygoing person so no, I'm not going that beserk! They do have rules... they can't interrupt me while I'm on the phone or in convo with another adult, especially with Daddy. But they are 2 enthusiastic little buggers that get excited about everything and like to think up new games, etc, so they do feel compelled to let me know every.single.thing that they can get away with. LOL. Usually I find it exasperatingly funny but yesterday was OTT even for them. So I made a thread thinking other people might get a chuckle out of it. It's okay, I'm not going to jump off a bridge anytime soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Maybe, maybe not! My 20 somethings still have to share everything with me. Most of the time I think I'm the luckiest mom in the world. Occasionally, I want to tell them they really need to get more friends. Occasionally, I want to run from the room with my hands over my ears, screaming, "TMI!! TMI!! Oh for God's sake TMI!!! I am your MOTHER!! There are some things that you might want to NOT share with your MOTHER!!!"
LMAO!!!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
I have a little performer and attention seeker also, and sometimes I think it's so cute, I have to whip out the video camera. There are times I get tired of it though. I thought it was because she was an only child, but I guess not! She did have to learn that there are times NOT to bother me (when I'm working, studying, on the phone, talking to another adult, or watching Law and Order!) and even though she forgets at times, for the most part we stick to those moments, and I try to accommodate her need for attention when I'm not doing one of those things.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:16 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Okay, this thread is somewhat lighthearted, so don't flame me. LOL

Does anyone else get summoned constantly by their family for every little thing? It doesn't matter what I'm doing or how far away I am, the kids and the hubby always want me to come see something. It's never impressive when I get there, though clearly I supposed to act impressed anyway. Heh.

Yesterday in the space of 15 minutes, while trying to make dinner, my kids called me into the living room 2 times to 1. show me some silly joke on Mad TV (they thought it was hilarious) and 2. Show me a "dance move" they had made up (them pumping their fists in the air and jumping in a circle). I'm all like "I'm in the middle of something, this couldn't have waited?" and they are like, "No, you needed to see it mommy it's awesome!" Ugh.

Then my husband gets into the action later on. I'm standing over a wok, and if you've ever cooked with one you know the food has to stay in motion and you can't just walk away. He calls me to come upstairs 3 times and every time I asked "What is it?" he said "Just come!". So I take the wok off the flame and come upstairs to see... dirty water in the bathtub. LOL. He's cleaning the jacuzzi jets and is fascinated by how much dirt has come out of them. Why did I need to rush upstairs to see hot brown water swirling around? He wants me to see what a good husband he is by cleaning the tub. Look at all the dirt he's saving us from! Glory be!

Men, here's a tip. We clean crap all the time. We are not impressed by your shenanigans. Just say no to the need to get our approval.

Anyway, I am grateful that they love me enough to seek me out on these matters but I really would like to complete a task every once in a while without being summoned to see a weird looking potato chip or some random sports playback on ESPN.

Am I the only one with a "Show Mommy!" family?
My kids USED to be this way... Enjoy it while you can...They'll turn into teenagers some day...

Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I personally think it is quite endearing that they want to share the wonders of the world with a parent. All too soon some kids don't want to talk to parents at all.
Totally agree! It can drive you batty but those batty moments sure make great memories.
I understand, I am a the same mom. Guess I'm the important one in the house. lol

Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Maybe, maybe not! My 20 somethings still have to share everything with me. Most of the time I think I'm the luckiest mom in the world. Occasionally, I want to tell them they really need to get more friends. Occasionally, I want to run from the room with my hands over my ears, screaming, "TMI!! TMI!! Oh for God's sake TMI!!! I am your MOTHER!! There are some things that you might want to NOT share with your MOTHER!!!"
OMG! We are twins! I have the same teenagers at my house. TMI all too often! LMAO !!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
OMG! We are twins! I have the same teenagers at my house. TMI all too often! LMAO !!!!
YES! I didn't have one of those households where my kids ever stopped sharing. They always shared, and sometimes.....OMG! It's a good thing though, because let's face it, if they can't talk to their parents (at least one of them).....there's something very wrong with the relationship. I think though, that it's important to be able to put on that po po po pokerface at a very early age, and to always be open to discussion.

At least sometimes they give me warning...."Um, I know this might be TMI, but ______________". Thank goodness for those warnings. Even typing it out, I'm grinning from ear to ear at the "OG...what now" feeling that always followed those words. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting