Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

I used to wear them when i was a teen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Funny how young people think holes and rips are ok, even trendy, but patches and repairs are considered tacky.
Clothing is an area I didn't think was worth taking a strong stand on most of the time. I told my kids that as long as everything that should be covered is covered, and you dress up to the occasion as necessary, I don't really care what you wear the rest of the time. It's a reflection on you, not me, so if you want to look like a bum or a goth or whatever, fine.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Funny how young people think holes and rips are ok, even trendy, but patches and repairs are considered tacky.
Funny, I was just thinking about that. Nobody patches jeans anymore.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Yes I know it is stylish and some jeans are sold with slits and holes but I'm not sure I like the look.

Problem is now that it is so close to shorts season- today's high will be 79- I hate to buy new jeans cause I know they won't fit by fall. I told the girls soon we can cut them off for shorts like I have done for years and they are happy with that. Actually the holes don't bother them but it made me wonder how other parents feel about their kids wearing holey jeans.

OK You know the phrase "chose your battles"? Here is an example of this.It's not my taste, but teens do want to differentiate from their parents. We all had fads when we were growing up, and this generation should be permitted theirs.

Do I draw the line? Absolutely! Those who know me from other forums, know I always do! Here is where I draw it - if the rips are "strategically placed"for example around the but a resounding NO!

And since shorts were mentioned, no "Daisy Dukes" - not in my house, not in my life, not in my world. The reason for shorts is to keep cool in warmer months. The reason for Teeny Tiny short shorts is ....something different. To FLAUNT one's self. No need for that.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
My sons school actually bans jeans and pants with holes in them from being worn, despite an otherwise pretty lax dress code. Even ones that are decorative and supposed to be that way. We never knew about it until we sent him to school in a pair of jeans from PS that had that look. They didn't send him home or call us, but the teacher sent a note referencing the policy and asked that he not wear them again. That was at the beginning of the year and when we had conferences, she said she felt weird writing that note because she knew they weren't exactly cheap jeans, but she had to reinforce the district policy. At least I got the impression she thought it was a little nuts, too.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Sometimes when my daughters' favorite jeans get a hole, we make a pretty patch by putting cute fabric behind the hole and then sewing a little lace or an applique partly on the patch and partly on the jeans. The idea is to make it look like the hole was intentional and not just because I don't want to buy new jeans. I always have fabric scraps around so it doesn't really cost us anything to do it.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Funny, I was just thinking about that. Nobody patches jeans anymore.
We did when the grandkids were toddlers.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
we used to live in a district where shorts could not be any shorter than the tops of the kids fingertips. But here I see some pretty short shorts on high school girls. maybe I'm seeing them after school, I'm not sure but daisy dukes are what we used to call "jail bait". Even my girls were little bitty i did not dress them in really short shorts.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I agree about the really short shorts, the only place those belong is under a skirt or (possibly) as pajamas.

It's hard when you've got a kid with really long legs. Most girls shorts end up looking that short on my daughter. She calls those hoochie mama shorts. We usually buy ladies shorts for her just so they're long enough.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
. Even my girls were little bitty i did not dress them in really short shorts.
Have you seen the shorts that are in stores for this Spring?

I saw some shorts for girls last week that had NO inseam. I try very hard to not say 'tsk-tsk' but I could not believe these shorts. Sort-of-Bun-Covers would be a more apt description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting