Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kids chores (started at age 'x' )
My kids have chores ages 5+ 19 55.88%
My kids have chores ages 7+ 5 14.71%
My kids have chores ages 10+ 3 8.82%
My kids have chores ages 13+ 3 8.82%
No way- no chores for my kids! 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm curious to see what the responses are for your kids and chores. We live a relatively rural lifestyle and raised our kids to understand the importance of working within a household (many hands make light work). They started doing chores very early, age 5-ish or so.. My son is now 13 and my daughter 10.

They take care of two dogs, their own pets / animals, load and unload the dishwasher, clean up the yard from dog poo, my son carries sacks of wood pellets inside to the stove (he used to help split, stack and carry in firewood), they are responsible for their rooms, cleaning the family room, carrying their own laundry to the wash area, putting away clothes, setting and clearing the table for meals.. lets see- my son also helps with projects (has done for many years), so for example he is on the ladders / roof with Christmas lights, helped me patch the roof- etc, riding tractor helping with mowing or clearing trees..

So they are very much involved with 'working'. We used to butcher hogs every year and they were very involved with that too, as were the neighbor kids.

They get paid a weekly allowance of $5 each.

The only time they get a dispensation from chores is if they are loaded with schoolwork or scout work etc.. The other sibling has to pick up the slack and vice-versa.

Curious to see what others do and what chores they may be.

13 and 10 is about time to up the "pay"... $5 definately isn't enough weekly, especially for the 13 year old and since there is manual labor involved.

But yes chores are good, yes they should get an allowance, yes its required to make a house run smoothly but if they are under 15 how are they suppose to earn money to go out?? 13 year olds like to go places and do things with their friends too and last I checked most places won't hire under 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 AM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Always had chores and never got paid for them; my children always had chores and never got paid for them either.
Same here!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
I think the secret is to make chores part of routine daily life and never give an allowance for doing them. Picking up after yourself, helping around the house should not be seen as something one must be paid before you will do it. A two year old will actually enjoy helping with chores but it's counter-productive to make it seem that being paid to do something around the house must be done.

As for going out, a parent can give kids money to have some fun with friends that isn't connected to what they contribute as far as helping in the house. Feeding a pet, cleaning a room isn't special, it just has to be done.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the secret is to make chores part of routine daily life and never give an allowance for doing them. Picking up after yourself, helping around the house should not be seen as something one must be paid before you will do it. A two year old will actually enjoy helping with chores but it's counter-productive to make it seem that being paid to do something around the house must be done.

As for going out, a parent can give kids money to have some fun with friends that isn't connected to what they contribute as far as helping in the house. Feeding a pet, cleaning a room isn't special, it just has to be done.

Yes but what does just GIVING them the money teach them?
That they just get given money?

Sure cleaning your room and helping with the dishes is necessary from time to time but mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, extra things, like maybe spring cleaning their entire room.

When they are too young they should have ways they can earn more money that they can use and learn to budget and buy things they want.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,068 times
Default This was our way too

Quote:

There are things (chores) to be done by everyone in a family to make living together enjoyable. They are expected, not extras to be paid. We do not live on a farm, and had only easy pets, so the chores are really not hard or all that time consuming. We had and still have a maid to do heavy cleaning.

We gave our son an allowance appropriate to his age and our income. My 15 month old granddaughter helps her mom toss her small toys into a large plastic bucket right before bathtime.

Last edited by funisart; 03-03-2012 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yes but what does just GIVING them the money teach them?
That they just get given money?

Sure cleaning your room and helping with the dishes is necessary from time to time but mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, extra things, like maybe spring cleaning their entire room.

When they are too young they should have ways they can earn more money that they can use and learn to budget and buy things they want.
It teaches them that sometimes I just give them money but that any chores they do are just something expected.

If for example a child wants a rabbit for a pet, he has to take care of the rabbit, it's not a way to expect to be handed money just because he now must feed it or clean it's cage.

If a child does want extra money, something like mowing the lawn or washing my car might be a way to get it but I'm not giving a kid money for picking up his dirty clothes or putting away his own shoes.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
It teaches them that sometimes I just give them money but that any chores they do are just something expected.

If for example a child wants a rabbit for a pet, he has to take care of the rabbit, it's not a way to expect to be handed money just because he now must feed it or clean it's cage.

If a child does want extra money, something like mowing the lawn or washing my car might be a way to get it but I'm not giving a kid money for picking up his dirty clothes or putting away his own shoes.
Ok but they should have ways to earn money.
Say they need to get $15 by Friday so they can go to the movies, they should be able to have X, Y and Z to do so they can earn that $15 by Friday.

Not oh heres some random money every so often may or may not be when you need it.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,759,104 times
^Thatn(what Malamute said)^

You live here, eat here, sleep here... we are a family together, and families help each other.

I do not get paid extra for preparing dinner, washing my kids sports uniforms, doing to grocery shopping, etc... these are things I do because it's what makes our home function well. You are expected to do certain things to make our home function well also.

Maybe our town is odd, but kids as young as 9 are walking dogs, shoveling snow, raking leaves, etc... for extra money. If my kids want to buy something special or go somewhere that is more than I am willing to give them, then there are always extra chores that can be done around the house too.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,430,472 times
My daughters are 4( 5 in April) and 11. My 4 year old is responsible for feeding our dog and picking up her room. My 11 year old makes her bed, cleans the fish bowls, her bathroom, vacuums and any other chores. Besides making her bed, she usually does her chores on the weekends because she has so much homework when she comes home and after school activities like Girl Scouts. I don't give me allowance for doing chores but do reward them for good grades and good behavior.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 PM

19,816 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
13 and 10 is about time to up the "pay"... $5 definately isn't enough weekly, especially for the 13 year old and since there is manual labor involved.

But yes chores are good, yes they should get an allowance, yes its required to make a house run smoothly but if they are under 15 how are they suppose to earn money to go out?? 13 year olds like to go places and do things with their friends too and last I checked most places won't hire under 16.
$5 a week for a general allowance is not bad, they can and do receive additional money for some projects or other tasks, but typically they are now responsible for earning money. The neighbors may need their dogs watched while on vacation or something like that.

However my children are also keenly aware that if a neighbor needs help, you just do it. If they offer payment, be gracious and either accept or not. Back in WV we had great neighbors- an elderly couple ( husband was very active but sometimes bit off more than he could chew ) We had the winter from Hell a few years ago and my son dutifully shoveled their walks and driveway like twice a week for several months. He refused all payment because that what good neighbors ( and Scouts ) do. For that I am proud. He has a very solid work and ethical discipline.

They may get a bump in allowance, but they need to 'do' because it is the right thing.

Last edited by Threerun; 03-03-2012 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting