Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Are you really suggesting that it's OK for a 20-year-old to forget his brother's birthday? He has a phone, a calendar, and a mother who reminded him.
People forget..
Some people are just spacey...
No need to go all salem witch trials on them.
<----- Some people are lucky they remember to put pants on before they leave the house...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:06 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I know people forget. That's why calendars existed thousands of years ago. The dude has tools to help him remember and still did not. That is flaky. No excuse.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I know people forget. That's why calendars existed thousands of years ago. The dude has tools to help him remember and still did not. That is flaky. No excuse.
And some people are just flakes.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Finding yourself? Stop looking! You're right there!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And some people are just flakes.
And some people are just crappy.

Forgetting little brother bday is crappy. End of story.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
I know people forget, too. That's why I get lots of calls or texts around the time of an upcoming birthday of anyone in the family. I'm the one who always remembers them, and everyone else has to ask me when they are. However, they do ask and wish the person a happy birthday on that day.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
It does make you wonder what goes on in the heads of someone who receives something really thoughtful and nice in the mail . . .and has absolutely no notion to pick up the phone and text a simple "thank you." I honestly don't get it . . . is it entitlement, laziness . . . other? What is the thinking (of lack of thinking)?

Could some mannerless twit please explain?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It does make you wonder what goes on in the heads of someone who receives something really thoughtful and nice in the mail . . .and has absolutely no notion to pick up the phone and text a simple "thank you." I honestly don't get it . . . is it entitlement, laziness . . . other? What is the thinking (of lack of thinking)?

...Was uh...that at me?? Or....am I stupid for even replying? LOL

Lack of thinking..
Being so caught up only thinking about yourself and your day and everything going on in your life to be too busy to think about anything else.

Simply not making the effort to even try.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
BookLover: This is NOT true. Maybe for txt and her circle of friends but I can ASSURE you that there are members of that generation who have manners and know how to send a thank you.

Which I think your son should be doing.

One more question: How does he function without driving in L.A.? There is public transportation but a car is pretty much a necessity. I'm wondering why he doesn't drive.
That is just wanting him to be the son you want, the one with manners. He is 20, not a little kid, and he clearly isn't one of those members of his generation that have them. Nothing she can do about that. Again, he is 20.

To the op, txqueen is right. Be glad you don't know. Realize that the lack of phone calls means he is independent. It's the time in his life when he will start to reap what he sows. Some 20 year olds check in with mom all the time, some don't. Usually the ones who do are having a hard time, need advice a lot or need direction because they have none. Some are just really nice kids sure but some can't see to their own direction. Calling mom a lot isn't always a good sign.

I have a 19 year old and they gradually talk less and less to parents and more and more to their friends, even when they live with you. Growing up is a process, he isn't abnormal. It's a hard time for parents, I agree but why don't you just tell him how you feel. That you miss him and would like to talk to him more, even if it isn't about anything important. Tell him this is hard for you.

I wouldn't attach his response to the gifts though. It's your choice to give something. You aren't a stranger he may feel he doesn't need to respond to every time you send a gift. You are his mom, you both have an unspoken knowledge of thanks and love each other. I wouldn't worry about the gift basket response. You miss him, you need more convo, just tell him that. Write a snail mail letter if you have to.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

He probably thinks she knows he loves her and he knows she loves him. Maybe he doesn't know she is doing it for the reasons of communication, that she is wanting a immediate response to the gifts. Sending mommy baskets might not be a "call me" alarm to him. He might be use to it and see it as a comfort from her to let him know she still thinks about him. It takes a while sometimes for older kids to realize that moms need reassurance. She was the parent, and capable for most of his life. Some kids don't realize we turn to mush when they leave, she is going to have to talk to him about the real issue.
He isn't a "needy" kid. Doesn't mean he feel entitlement. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting