Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,410,357 times

Advertisements

How many of you have heard of this strategy? Father says to his son before sending him off to Junior High, "Son, if you ever get to thinking that you want to try drugs or alcohol, come to me first and we'll find you some".

Logic: "I'd rather him get it from me where he can experiment in a safe place" and/or "I'll make him take so much, he gets sick and doesn't ever want to mess with it again."

Have you ever heard of this, or is it just Southern wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,940,885 times
My husband grew up with this, at least regarding alcohol. His parents let him drink freely at home. The idea was that that way they could monitor and control it, they didn't have to worry about him sneaking around or drinking and driving, as well as that he wouldn't feel like it was a big, exciting, rebellious thing to do. This was in NJ, not the South.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,233,636 times
Well I think that is the opposite folly of Just say No or other dismissive approaches. Education, real, solid information is the way to go in my book. Buy my kids drugs? No way, not happening. Responsible alcoholic Sunday dinner beverage? Sure.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Safe to say we'd all supply a little bit of alcohol to our adolescents before giving them drugs (then again, maybe some out there are making the exception for marijuana). But even with alcohol, I don't think I could bring myself to letting my teen son drink to get drunk even once, nor force him to drink until he gets sick. I guess I'm too much of a pansy to raise a good kid

I have often thought, it's just a bluff. If their son/daughter did in fact come to them and say "I wanna try some angeldust", surely they wouldn't actually go looking for some! But then, what purpose would that serve, if only to make your word that much less believable later on?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,011,291 times
My dad did this with cigarettes for my sister and me. I never did smoke after one time trying it with him. My sister, otoh, smoked for several years and had a hard time quitting.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My dad did this with cigarettes for my sister and me. I never did smoke after one time trying it with him. My sister, otoh, smoked for several years and had a hard time quitting.
So it's at least got a 50% success rate Makes ya wanna ask, "What doesn't?" though...

Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,289,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post

Have you ever heard of this, or is it just Southern wisdom?

Idiocy can be found in all parts of the country.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,412,473 times
I went to High School with a guy whose parents were like that...he was the "cool guy", everyone wanted to hang out at his house because his parents let him (and others drink) to "demystify" alcohol.

I attended his "double" funeral (he died drinking and driving and took his best friend with him) while his parents were on vacation in Europe. They lef thim home alone because they thought that they had taught him to be a responsible drinker...

Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I went to High School with a guy whose parents were like that...he was the "cool guy", everyone wanted to hang out at his house because his parents let him (and others drink) to "demystify" alcohol.

I attended his "double" funeral (he died drinking and driving and took his best friend with him) while his parents were on vacation in Europe. They lef thim home alone because they thought that they had taught him to be a responsible drinker...
Wow. Maybe there's something more to making this approach work. I do believe in teaching kids to drink responsibly before you turn them loose on the world as adults. But you have to know your son/daughter, consider their personality, and keep up with every little change in their attitude and social situation.

And I'd NEVER approve of someone ELSE'S teenager coming over and drinking, even if the parents told me directly that they were okay with it.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 PM

19,941 posts, read 22,881,378 times
I had a sip of my dads beer when I was like 5. I didn't enjoy beer until later. Like 30 years of age. Then I discovered micro-brews and now I love beer.

But no- that philosophy with kids leads to unexpected consequences. I'd rather take my kids hunting or camping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting