Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Wasn't there a t.v. episode about that. I think it was "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Robert was trying to get a job or a raise or something everything went well and the mother decided involved...I don't remember everything, but I'm sure you can imagine.
Robert had an interview with the FBI... and Marie wrote a letter to the agency about him. Needless to say, he was passed over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
............. I do not know how such kids survive college withuot Mommy and Daddy there at all times.

The kids go bat **** crazy behavior wise when they no longer have intense supervision. The same thing happened 40 years ago, it's even worse today with so many more over-protective parents.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
INSANE. I worked in a large supermarket across the street from my house when I was in high school. Although she shopped in there regularly and knew everyone my Mom had nothing to do with me getting the job - I handled everything on my own. My brother (who was 3 years older than me but her most precious child at the time) got chicken pox and she came to buy him calomine lotion. I rang it up as taxable. She went to the office and told them to so she could get her 8 freaking cents back. What do you call the opposite of helicopter parent?
Hilarious! Around here, they call that person "Mattie". My kids know the first thing they will hear after most complaints is "Deal with it".

I can count on one hand the times we've intervened on behalf of our kids, and it was always a completely egregious situation, beyond the pale.

I never took my kids to a town egg hunt. We always did it in the yard ourselves. I think some of the organizers upped the ante too much by including coupons for some big prizes, like bikes and video systems.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I never took my kids to a town egg hunt. We always did it in the yard ourselves. I think some of the organizers upped the ante too much by including coupons for some big prizes, like bikes and video systems.
Same here. When we lived in an apartment I simply hid the eggs inside ~ and was quite clever at it. My daughter had to really to search for some of them and she loved it. And she didn't "miss" the town hunts.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Same here. When we lived in an apartment I simply hid the eggs inside ~ and was quite clever at it. My daughter had to really to search for some of them and she loved it. And she didn't "miss" the town hunts.

Same here...my parents colored eggs and each color was worth a certain amount. There was one gold egg worth ten dollars. I remember being really mad that they always hid the gold egg up high and as the youngest I never had a fair shot of finding it!

Big ticket items for a easter egg hunt is ridiculous. That's just asking for chaos and pushy parents.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
I worked for a law firm for ten years, and you would be AMAZED at the number of clients in criminal cases whose parents orchestrated their whole representation - called the office for updates, arranged the fee schedule (and did the paying), attended the consultations, asked most of the pertinent questions while "junior" sat there mute, and made excuses for their offsprings' charges. We didn't represent juveniles, either - these clients were in their 20's and 30's, at least. One of the saddest scenarios was a white haired mom who called the office every day about getting Sonny Boy out of a mandatory sentence after his 4th DUI conviction (they were PICKING ON HIM in jail), and paid his legal fees out of her social security.

I can just imagine the helicopter moms of today sitting in the attorneys' offices of tomorrow.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-31-2012 at 04:07 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
Quote:
Hilarious! Around here, they call that person "Mattie". My kids know the first thing they will hear after most complaints is "Deal with it".

I can count on one hand the times we've intervened on behalf of our kids, and it was always a completely egregious situation, beyond the pale.

We used to do our own egg hunts in the back yard for just my daughter, so she got all the eggs, LOL. The best one we ever had was at my in-laws' place, for the little girls (mine and the cousins). They had four acres, so we had plenty of cool places to hide them, and it kept the kids busy most of the day!

I only took my oldest daughter to one community egg hunt, when she was really small. There were some mothers there doing all the egg picking for their kids, but I showed my daughter what to do with the first few eggs, then left her alone. She picked up a smashed egg (that somebody had stepped on) and put it in her little basket. Turns out, it was the "gold egg"! Everybody else (the moms) passed it over because it was so disgusting. It won first prize - a large chocolate rabbit.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM

88,539 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:

Same here! There was a year when my brother and I, both divorced and broke, found ourselves living back home in our parents' big house complete with our elderly grandmother, and we each had a young daughter.

The night before Easter, after the kids were in bed, my brother and I took the eggs the girls had colored and wrote up funny clues in rhyme as to where they were and hid them all over the house and yard. (We were drinking beer as we did this.) It was hilarious good fun and a happy memory now that my brother is gone, and the girls remember it as fun, too.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,913 times
When I was growing up, the "prize" for finding the eggs was finding the eggs. The idea of prizes worth hundreds of dollars is just sad.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
At my job we recently had a parent come to complain about her 18 year old daughter's schedule. She couldn't work evenings....or early mornings...or weekends. And don't you even dare ask her to work an overnight shift! I honestly felt sorry for the daughter....someday mommy will be gone and she'll need to navigate life on her own.

Since she was giving us a 5 hour window to work with, we informed the daughter (not the mom) that her schedule did not fit our needs and let her go. She was baffled as to why... just completely confused.
Wonder if the daughter knew mommy came by? That would explain her baffled expression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting