Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:32 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times

Advertisements

When I was young, my mom fed me french fries all the time. As a result I have a higher risk of cancer now. It didn't contribute to my size or anything; I am a size 00 and wear XS. However, SHE DID increase my chances of getting cancer. Granted, this was back in the 80's so she probably wasn't aware of the fact that she was killing me.

French Fries in Childhood Tied to Breast Cancer? | Fox News

In a new study, women were more likely to get breast cancer if they had regularly eaten french fries decades earlier as preschoolers.

"A girl's breast prior to puberty is much more susceptible to environmental and potentially cancer-causing influence than a breast of an adult woman," Michels says.
Michels says the study is one of the first, if not the first, of its kind to look at adult breast cancer risk and preschool diets.
"For some people, that might be so far removed from the time that you get the cancer. On the other hand, we also know that cancer takes decades to develop so it is less far-fetched than it might seem," says Michels.

Thanks a lot mom.

I actually cut her out of my life a long time ago (for reasons unrelated to this) but here is another prime example of negligent and abusive parenting.

Last edited by jackie100; 04-01-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 05:34 PM

58 posts, read 150,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Thanks a lot mom.

I actually cut her out of my life a long time ago (for reasons unrelated to this) but here is another prime example of negligent and abusive parenting.

Seriously? Negligent and abusive parenting? Just wait til you have children!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganLady View Post
Seriously? Negligent and abusive parenting? Just wait til you have children!
I am in my thirties and do not ever want children nor do I want to get married. I have no interest in having kids and never ever will.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM

58 posts, read 150,259 times
Thats probably a good thing then...you'll escape alot of blame from your kids that way.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
How could they possibly isolate french fries out of all the things you were exposed to in life? How can cancer be linked to childhood consumption of french fries? is there a french fry residue in the cancer? Is the cancer shaped like a fry? This seems so silly.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
If you are going to take any medical advice as fact, for the love of god, dont do it based on a news report *smdh*

What study? Who was in charge of the study? What other common factors did the women share? Was cancer already in these womens family? Any study can have results swayed to show what the conductor of that study wants? And we are talking about a study from 2005. Done with 582 nurses who had breast cancer and 1500 who did not.. yeah.. grain meet salt
French Fries in Youth Tied to Breast Cancer?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 PM

Please, if you do not believe certain foods increases your risk of cancer then you are plain ignorant. It is common knowledge in the medical community that eating a lot of red meat also increases your chances of getting cancer, as does french fries. If you are unwilling to overlook a study because you think the answers are skewed then you've got issues.

The point is that my mother did not feed me healthy food. If I do end up cancer one day, I know it cannot be attributed to her one hundred percent. However, she was not the best mother either by not feeding me healthy food. If you are going to have kids the least you can do is feed them right.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
jackie- don't please me. I am going to school to be a registered dietitian for hells sake. I just don't hop on the bandwagon for everything and believe every study that comes out there.

And sorry, but no, even if you DO end up with cancer one day, it may not have ANYTHING to do with the food that you eat. But go ahead building up that resentment towards your mother anyway. Good luck with that

Old 04-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Going to a dietician doesn't mean much as I am concerned in terms of making you an expert at scientific studies. There is a big difference between a doctor and a dietician but whatevers...

Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Of course foods impact health - that is not the issue - the issue is that there is no way the study COULD HAVE isolated french fries as being causative in breast cancer years later. They only asked about 30 different foods - what if the 31st food that they didn't ask about caused the cancer? Or what if it was caused by other environmental factors (EMF's, asbestos, whatever)?

I can't believe you are focusing on this one issue - let it go. Your mom did the best she could, whatever she did. Eat healthy NOW . . . take responsibility for your own life and stop blaming mommy for something that hasn't even happened - talk about wasting time!

Do something positive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting