Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The occasional treat from the truck isn't the problem anyway. It's the freezer full of ice cream in the garage we should be banning.
(I'm kidding before anyone freaks out)

1/2 the kids including mine probably wouldn't even hear the truck over their computer games. lol I don't even think my little one has ever seen one. They don't come around anymore.
I remember my favorite was the mickey mouse popsicle, mixed flavors of ice cream and I think his ears were coated in chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 AM

578 posts, read 1,295,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I gladly got a nice treat for myself, my mom still laughs that I'm the only 25 year old that goes out for the ice cream man.
When he comes around, we get it! Last year at a family party, everyone's having a blast and suddenly the ice cream truck comes (never saw him visit the neighborhood before). We flag him down, gather a whole bunch of money, and there's a group of 20/30 year olds and kids trying to get a lot of ice cream.

Unfortunately he doesn't visit too often either. It makes me sad.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Tell us more
They are referred to as 'the stroller mafia" LOL. This was a couple of years ago but a small coffee shop/bakery put up a sign about not letting children run rampant and there was outrage and boycotts. And a few bars have had the nerve to ban strollers during happy hour. I mean - can you imagine NOT being able to bring your toddler to happy hour?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
The word they need is "no". It's as simple as that folks

This reminds me of a group of parents that wanted to institute a uniform at the school because they were tired of fighting with their kids about what to wear to school. The rest of us pretty much told them to stop buying clothes for their kids that they didn't want them wearing to school--pretty simple solution really.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Park Slope parents back ban on ice-cream trucks in Prospect Park to avoid screaming kids - NYPOST.com

Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
What a bizarre story. I don't know the area, but the reaction from other local parents makes it seem like there are just a few parents who are annoyed by the ice cream carts. Anything for a story that will enrage the masses, I guess. Almost all the responses include "Die yuppie scum" and similar sentiments. The epitome was from Carla Meredith, whose FB photo shows her smoking a hookah, who said, "Dorthy Scanlon - You are what is wrong with society. I wish cancer upon you.!!!!!!"

Nice.

Meanwhile, it looks like the co-op or whatever has a healthy sense of humor about the ordeal.

Park Slope Parents - PSP Blog

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Meanwhile, it looks like the co-op or whatever has a healthy sense of humor about the ordeal.

Park Slope Parents - PSP Blog
That's hilarious!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The occasional treat from the truck isn't the problem anyway. It's the freezer full of ice cream in the garage we should be banning.
(I'm kidding before anyone freaks out)

1/2 the kids including mine probably wouldn't even hear the truck over their computer games. lol I don't even think my little one has ever seen one. They don't come around anymore.
We had a guy that came around on Sundays during the cooler months. But I think the higher price of gas has put him out of business. The kids did come out with their parents. It was a bit of a social time on our road with everyone waving and saying Hello to the the neighbors.

No way the Ice Cream Man gets banned in my neighborhood.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
That's just wrong! I love to hear the music and see all the little kids go running - faces all lit up. It didn't happen ALL that often in our neighborhood and it was a treat when it did.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I get mad that the ice cream guy only goes around the -other- block, and doesn't come up to our street. So by the time I hear his jingle, he's already on his way out of the neighborhood and it's too late to get a Chippety Chocolatey (now known as Chocolate Candy Crunch ice cream stick).

The Good Humor (and Hoodsie) truck symbolized warmer weather to us when we were kids. It wasn't merely "hey ice cream, let's bug mom!" but it was a whole huge ritual. Dad got Toasted Almond, my sister got Strawberry Shortcake, mom usually got just a chocolate-covered vanilla on a stick.

When we got older, we kids got our own, and it ended up being Everlasting Gobstoppers (the big ones that take *hours* to consume, not those rinky dink kiddy-sized bags they sell now), Pop Rocks, and a strand of Fizzies.

It was always, and only, a weekend treat. Friday nights and Saturday nights, just when it was starting to turn dusk, we'd hear those bells, and we knew that we had a terrific life in the burbs as kids.
Yes, this! We knew we had chosen the right neighborhood for us to move into when the neighborhood kids all came running at the sound of the ice cream truck last summer. As everyone has mentioned, it is only an occasional treat, but to my mind, it is a reminder of happy memories of summer growing up in the 'burbs.

Re: the OP, I am not a fan of banning things. If (the general) you don't want your kids to have ice cream, then don't let them, but I see no reason to ruin everyone else's option to partake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting