Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

Hasn't happened to me but I have to admit when we had a pool I was seriously considering it. you just hear too many horrible stories about kids injured at pool parties.

We had a friend who was a Boy Scout leader and was paralyzed from the neck down when he was tossed into the pool by a bunch of rowdy boys. he did not sue the homeowner but everybody wondered how it was handled. I'm sure the insurance company was liable in some way.

TODAYMoms - You want me to sign WHAT before your kid's party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,145 times
I dont know. Depends on the activity. Just a home party then no if they were like going to sky dive or something like that I could understand though I would probably still not sign it. My child would just have to miss that party.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 AM

114 posts, read 231,868 times
My son just went to a rock climbing party last weekend and we had to sign something that they were not legally responsible if he got hurt.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
It's very common, and seeing as someone once tripped in my garden at a party, twisted their ankle, and made murmurings about us paying their medical bills I can understand why this is more common.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,084 times
Yeah I think if there is a dangerous activity involved that always has a waiver, then yes I will sign something. I sign waivers for tball and other things where he might get hurt. But if it were just a legal waiver to play at someones house? Probably not. I wouldnt let my kid go to someones house if there are so many children there that the homeowners are not able to supervise and control the chaos enough to ensure my child is deathly injured, which is what a waiver would tell me. On the other hand, its also unlikely I would try and sue anyone over an injury my son got playing, my son is quite accident prone (he gets it from me!) and in the 4 years he has been alive he has had stitches, lumps, bumps and a cast. I understand it happens.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
I read this story last week. My first reaction was , but when I thought about it, I realized I had signed waivers for many activities, including parties, when the kids were younger. The only difference is that those waivers were handed out by the party site, whether it be a gym, ice rink or indoor pool.

We had pools at our last two homes. I didn't ask anyone to sign a waiver, but I did question the parents as to their children's swimming abilities.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Thingsa are not the same as they were back in the 70's where children could play and fall, and go off the block without supervision.

today they have play dates.....did you ever.

but as far as accidents in a pool, and the like, yeah, I would agree with the person having the event that they are not responsible, thus having a signing.

i however, today would never have any event in my home ever, and we didnt have a pool either ( we lived in an urban area).....glad my boys are older now.....to much stress for a parent.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,392 times
I'd check with a lawyer before asking anyone to sign a waiver. Most aren't worth the paper they're written on when it comes to protecting you from personal lawsuits. At least that's what a lawyer friend once told me.

I've signed them when my kids have gone to camp, rock climbing and other activities where there is some risk involved. I couldn't see signing one for a pool party or play date.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
My child would not be going then.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I'd check with a lawyer before asking anyone to sign a waiver. Most aren't worth the paper they're written on when it comes to protecting you from personal lawsuits. At least that's what a lawyer friend once told me.

I've signed them when my kids have gone to camp, rock climbing and other activities where there is some risk involved. I couldn't see signing one for a pool party or play date.
My father has said that too lisa, that usually waivers are more to ensure people assume they can't take legal action. And that usually he sees them tossed out due to a judge determining negligence, or the waiver was something stock they bought, and not drawn up by an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting