Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I have to agree with Julia, there are definitely people who need/expect alcohol at every event. No doubt.

Not saying that anybody here has to have it, or that you shouldn't have it.

But there's not really any question that there are people who want to drink at every occasion regardless of what it's for, and will be quite pouty and difficult if they don't get it. Or some people have a hard time socially without a little lubrication. It happens.

I can see how a bunch of family that's used to it would not react kindly to going without, even for a couple of hours for a kid's party.
Thanks, Finster. Yes, I am not accusing anybody here of anything.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Can you point me to the place where ANYONE said that people had to have alcohol to have a good time? A post number is fine.
I sort of said it on the second page. I know plenty of adults that wouldn't stay at a kids birthday or any other party if alcohol wasn't there. They'd get bored. They often say, aw, I'm just going to drop them off and pick them up, they aren't having anything for the adults here, no alcohol. I can't just sit there for hours.

This thread is sure full of responsible drinkers, I must be the only one who knows some adults that aren't counting the hours between drinks and flushing themselves with water in between.
Where I'm from there are a lot of parents that get a good buzz, and still drive home. They wouldn't spend more than an hour at a kids party that didn't have alcohol. Maybe they feel awkward but whatever the reason it's true in my area.

All of you who drink sound really, really responsible with it. Like perfect drinkers. I almost wonder why you go to all the trouble if you aren't really a drinker and you have to measure out the amount and space it around so that you can drive or act appropriate. Seems exhausting, why not just skip it then?
A lot of the adults who drink I know think they can handle quite a bit more and are fine. I can see they have a good buzz going but they think they are fine. I guess it's the impaired judgement thing, you just think your fine.

In my area you either drink or you don't. Most people don't put so much work into it. Maybe a few but I usually see a lot more going down the pipe than any of you mention. lol Maybe it's my crowd. I should get a new set of friends.

I don't serve it because I don't want the handful that stay into the night buzzed and talking and talking until I fall asleep on the chair waiting for their exit. I don't drink, so I can only take a conversation with another person with a buzz on for so long. They repeat a lot of things. Not to mention the expense.
They'd stay way to long for me if I served it. But, this is personal and some people want them to stay a long time. That's just not me.

Heck if you guys were my friends I'd probably serve it. You'd only have about 2 a piece, not really get buzzed and leave like everyone else. It would only cost me a 12 pack. lol

Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I sort of said it on the second page. I know plenty of adults that wouldn't stay at a kids birthday or any other party if alcohol wasn't there. They'd get bored. They often say, aw, I'm just going to drop them off and pick them up, they aren't having anything for the adults here, no alcohol. I can't just sit there for hours.

This thread is sure full of responsible drinkers, I must be the only one who knows some adults that aren't counting the hours between drinks and flushing themselves with water in between.
Where I'm from there are a lot of parents that get a good buzz, and still drive home. They wouldn't spend more than an hour at a kids party that didn't have alcohol. Maybe they feel awkward but whatever the reason it's true in my area.

All of you who drink sound really, really responsible with it. Like perfect drinkers. I almost wonder why you go to all the trouble if you aren't really a drinker and you have to measure out the amount and space it around so that you can drive or act appropriate. Seems exhausting, why not just skip it then?
A lot of the adults who drink I know think they can handle quite a bit more and are fine. I can see they have a good buzz going but they think they are fine. I guess it's the impaired judgement thing, you just think your fine.

In my area you either drink or you don't. Most people don't put so much work into it. Maybe a few but I usually see a lot more going down the pipe than any of you mention. lol Maybe it's my crowd. I should get a new set of friends.

I don't serve it because I don't want the handful that stay into the night buzzed and talking and talking until I fall asleep on the chair waiting for their exit. I don't drink, so I can only take a conversation with another person with a buzz on for so long. They repeat a lot of things. Not to mention the expense.
They'd stay way to long for me if I served it. But, this is personal and some people want them to stay a long time. That's just not me.

Heck if you guys were my friends I'd probably serve it. You'd only have about 2 a piece, not really get buzzed and leave like everyone else. It would only cost me a 12 pack. lol
I do agree that there seems not only to be a lot of responsible drinkers, but that there are a lot of people who cant imagine having drinks within 20 miles of children and cars.

I made a comment about when a bunch of adults drink someone goes over the line. Because IRL it does happen. It just is what it is.

Though Im not entirely sure you are referring to me indirectly about the why even bother is you are gonna pay a bunch of attention or space them out or whatever, Im not a big drinker, i drink rarely. I also have a degree in Addiction Counseling and I know alcohol, its my business. I do choose to be extra responsible because no only is it important to me, not being extra vigilant about my alcohol choices can cause me to lose my license. Not even a DUI, public drinking, not even to the point of intoxication or even being pulled over and having a marginal amount of alcohol in my system can cause me to lose my licensing.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Unfortunately there apparently ARE a lot of drunks driving in your area. An Arizona State University student was killed by a drunk driver on the 60 in Mesa just two weeks ago.

Knowledge of things like that is why I AND the people I hang with are all VERY responsible about what we serve and consume. Yes. We really do exist.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:

Very strange post.

By far the majority of people I socialize with have enough social savvy to determine an appropriate time to drink an alcoholic beverage, and when it would be deemed inappropriate. I do know a few people who go overboard on occasion, a few, and I have never seen them do so at a child-oriented event.

I don't drink much, in fact I can't recall the last time, but will do so when I want, if it is at an appropriate time and venue.

I also have many friends who are now sober for one reason or another, and do take that into account when planning an event.

Judgement and moderation seem to be a difficult concept to grasp in this discussion.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Unfortunately there apparently ARE a lot of drunks driving in your area. An Arizona State University student was killed by a drunk driver on the 60 in Mesa just two weeks ago.
I guess so. It's also rare for me to not drink, people usually think I'm a recovering addict. lol
I'm usually one of the few at any gathering. Like I said, if you all were my crowd I wouldn't even concern myself. It's almost as if you aren't drinkers, at least the kind I'm familiar with. The people I know who drink usually drink everyday after work, and have more than 2 at any given party, way more.

I state this to explain why I don't serve at kids parties. I don't have the other kinds of parties. I just attend them. I've noticed that my drinking friends have parties all the time for every occasion.

P.S. Added note, in AZ there isn't the reality of not driving. A car is a must have, so yes, most people drink then drive home. It's not like NYC, it's the desert and the distances between are longer. Not many use a cab either. But, not many think they need a cab unless they are falling down drunk. Being impaired isn't a judgement made unless you can't walk to the car. lol

Last edited by PoppySead; 05-01-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I do agree that there seems not only to be a lot of responsible drinkers, but that there are a lot of people who cant imagine having drinks within 20 miles of children and cars.

I made a comment about when a bunch of adults drink someone goes over the line. Because IRL it does happen. It just is what it is.

Though Im not entirely sure you are referring to me indirectly about the why even bother is you are gonna pay a bunch of attention or space them out or whatever, Im not a big drinker, i drink rarely. I also have a degree in Addiction Counseling and I know alcohol, its my business. I do choose to be extra responsible because no only is it important to me, not being extra vigilant about my alcohol choices can cause me to lose my license. Not even a DUI, public drinking, not even to the point of intoxication or even being pulled over and having a marginal amount of alcohol in my system can cause me to lose my licensing.
Oh no, It wasn't just you. The whole thread is full of responsible adults. Not one person on here drinks without being totally responsible. That is hard to ignore for me. I'm not familiar with such drinking responsibility. A few maybe but nobody on here seems to be lacking in responsibility when it comes to social drinking. Seriously, just not use to such responsible drinking adults. I must have immature friends.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Very strange post.

By far the majority of people I socialize with have enough social savvy to determine an appropriate time to drink an alcoholic beverage, and when it would be deemed inappropriate. I do know a few people who go overboard on occasion, a few, and I have never seen them do so at a child-oriented event.

I don't drink much, in fact I can't recall the last time, but will do so when I want, if it is at an appropriate time and venue.

I also have many friends who are now sober for one reason or another, and do take that into account when planning an event.

Judgement and moderation seem to be a difficult concept to grasp in this discussion.
Whats strange about it? Judgement and moderation seem to be the only concept in this discussion actually.
My reality certainly plays no part in this thread. Like I said, who would worry about drinkers at a kids party if these were the drinkers? I wouldn't even notice they were drinking anything different than water.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Oh no, It wasn't just you. The whole thread is full of responsible adults. Not one person on here drinks without being totally responsible. That is hard to ignore for me. I'm not familiar with such drinking responsibility. A few maybe but nobody on here seems to be lacking in responsibility when it comes to social drinking. Seriously, just not use to such responsible drinking adults. I must have immature friends.
Poppy, I think you have to consider your audience. Do you really think a bunch of people that frequent a parenting site are going to also be hard partiers, as a rule?

I think a person moves beyond the latter when they become the former, generally. Or at least they take a good shot at it. No pun intended.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Poppy, I think you have to consider your audience. Do you really think a bunch of people that frequent a parenting site are going to also be hard partiers, as a rule?

I think a person moves beyond the latter when they become the former, generally. Or at least they take a good shot at it. No pun intended.
^ for one. But, I also think there has been so much coverage of DUI offenses that even the college kids have smartened up. I know my own do not get behind the wheel if they have had an alcohol at all. To me, that is the bigger sin than having a drink to start with.

Our local paper lists all DUI arrests each week, even before conviction, which many of my friends don't agree with. I don't have a problem with it, it's an eye opener. The majority of the arrests are not younger people either, they are in the 30-50 year old range.

Among my friends, we always designate a DD before going out. When we host here at the house, we make sure we are prepared to put people up.
It is rarely necessary anymore. In my experience, people do indeed drink responsibly, and I don't see any harm, even in front of children. Maybe that should say especially in front of children, since the aim is to model good behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting