Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Interestingly, while I don't think that alcohol is something to be served at a child's birthday party, for those who are so anti-alcohol, the research actually supports one to two drinks a day as being good for you.

Raise a glass! Wine's health benefits - TODAY Health - TODAY.com

Quote:
Is wine good for you?In moderation and as part of an overall healthy diet, the short answer is yes!
Thanks to its alcohol content and non-alcoholic phytochemicals (natural occurring plant compounds), wine has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, certain cancers and slow the progression of neurological degenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease.
However, the amount of wine you drink matters tremendously. Drink more than what’s recommended, your health benefits are lost and your health risks go up.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 AM

31 posts, read 33,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Having 1 or 2 drinks can teach kids how to have a responsible social drink. It shows them that you don't have to drink a whole 12 pack to have a good time. It shows them that responsible consumption is possible and alcohol doesn't have to be taboo. If you don't drink, then don't drink, but don't chastise us. It is perfectly legal, and can be done responsibly. Tell me what harmful effect comes from having 1 beer with my burger.
not at all.. just stating my opinion. Having previously worked in a bar/restaurant, I would dispute the suggestion that you can consume alcohol without becoming stupid. I have seen far too many upstanding citizens become absolute, incomprehensible, babbling idiots and/or generally socially unacceptable people with the addition of alcohol.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Some are, but some are also calling anyone who drinks ever an out of control alcoholic. That's what I have an issue with, and it has happened several times.
That is a pretty kooky thing to say, I agree.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Mainly because a few random people are taking the extreme stance that consuming any alcohol will make you a fall down drunk, neglectful, etc

Then again this is either coming from people who have zero experience with alcohol who wouldn't have any idea what they are talking about or from those who are apparently surrounded by raging alcoholics

The vast majority of people here are responsible yet the few just can't seem accept that and feel the need to be judgemental and holier than thou

It's kind of pathetic

Keep your judgements to yourself, accept there are things that maybe you can't understand and that just because it doesn't fit your convention it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it

Then move on
I would be what you call an occasional drinker. One or two a year. I can't drink two in a row without feeling it. No way.

Being a weekend drinker isn't much different than a daily drinker. Try again.
People who drink less than a couple of drinks a year don't care about drinking at a child's party or anywhere else for that matter. It's a non issue.

I wouldn't make it an issue, I don't drink enough to care!!

What's pathetic is seeing people say they are occasional drinkers but can have a few at a random party suffer no effect and think it's prejudice to limit it around a kids party. I don't take it as realistic, IMO, drinkers want to drink and occasional drinkers don't really care. You drink, so what, stop trying to shade the issue with this occasional stuff. It's confusing. What is the guilt about? If you don't find a problem with it, then just have a kids bday party with adults drinking. Your preference.

Don't pretend you don't drink but care if people think it's not ok at a kids party. That is weird, IMO. It's a non issue. Why would you care if you don't care about having a drink? It doesn't make sense. Why would people who hardly drink care about promoting it's meaning at a party for kids?
I can see why those against it would promote one without it. That does make sense.

You can try and convince me but I'm just not that into it. I don't drink enough a year to care at all. So I wouldn't bother. It's a non issue. I can skip a couple of drinks a year without an issue.
I can go to a non junk food, vegetarians bday party as well, non issue. We don't mind skipping cola, cake or the like. No issue at all. The last thing I'd do was start defending junk food. Why would I? It isn't healthy. It's not healthy to drink or smoke either. Is that something people are really unaware of in 2012? I doubt it.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM

31 posts, read 33,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Trying to understand your perspective- alcohol seems to be much more socially acceptable today compared to when?
Yes, thank you. When I was growing up, I feel alcohol was somewhat socially accepted. Today alcohol is disturbingly socially, acceptable considering it is indeed a narcotic that results in far greater social disturbance, pain, suffering, disease and death.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Do you serve alcohol at children's birthday parties? Do others around you serve it?

Is it only for the adults, or are children of a certain age welcome to imbibe a drink or two?

Do the adults (or adult males) get drunk?
You know, if a bunch of adults are going to sit around and make small talk as the rug rats run amok, why the heck not?

During the ten bazillion birthday parties I've attended, nary a one didn't serve beer. And nary a one had a drunk adult.

I think it's weird to assume that offering up some Bud Light to the guests is going to lead to a drunken orgy.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, if a bunch of adults are going to sit around and make small talk as the rug rats run amok, why the heck not?

During the ten bazillion birthday parties I've attended, nary a one didn't serve beer. And nary a one had a drunk adult.

I think it's weird to assume that offering up some Bud Light to the guests is going to lead to a drunken orgy.
^^^^^ This. When our daughter was younger and it was expected that parents would go and stay at parties, beer was often served. We always had beer at her parties too. I didn't see a problem then and don't see one now.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I would be what you call an occasional drinker. One or two a year. I can't drink two in a row without feeling it. No way.

People who drink less than a couple of drinks a year don't care about drinking at a child's party or anywhere else for that matter. It's a non issue.

What's pathetic is seeing people say they are occasional drinkers but can have a few at a random party suffer no effect and think it's prejudice to limit it around a kids party. I don't take it as realistic, IMO, drinkers want to drink and occasional drinkers don't really care. You drink, so what, stop trying to shade the issue with this occasional stuff. It's confusing. What is the guilt about? If you don't find a problem with it, then just have a kids bday party with adults drinking. Your preference.

Don't pretend you don't drink but care if people think it's not ok at a kids party. That is weird, IMO. It's a non issue. Why would you care if you don't care about having a drink? It doesn't make sense. Why would people who hardly drink care about promoting it's meaning at a party for kids?
I can see why those against it would promote one without it. That does make sense.

You can try and convince me but I'm just not that into it. I don't drink enough a year to care at all. So I wouldn't bother. It's a non issue. I can skip a couple of drinks a year without an issue.
I can go to a non junk food, vegetarians bday party as well, non issue. We don't mind skipping cola, cake or the like. No issue at all. The last thing I'd do was start defending junk food. Why would I? It isn't healthy. It's not healthy to drink or smoke either. Is that something people are really unaware of in 2012? I doubt it.

That's quite a rant for someone who says they don't care!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetree View Post
Yes, thank you. When I was growing up, I feel alcohol was somewhat socially accepted. Today alcohol is disturbingly socially, acceptable considering it is indeed a narcotic that results in far greater social disturbance, pain, suffering, disease and death.
That's interesting to me. I'm not sure what years we're talking about, but thinking back to times in my grandparents' lifetime (Greatest Generation) where people regularly drank while pregnant, before driving, etc. or my parents' lifetime (Boomers) when the drinking age was 18, there was much less research on the potential damaging effects of some types of alcohol consumption and (to the best of my knowledge) no campaigns to discourage underage drinking, drunk driving, etc. I would have thought that there is a lot more awareness in present time of potential negative outcomes of overindulgence/penalties for drinking illegally/interactions of alcohol with medications, etc. You've inspired me to go see what I can find in the literature on this topic...I'll report back if I can find anything.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

I don't think people are really defending drinking here. For most, it is a non issue, not a big deal, and certainly something we can do without with no problem. But the original question was "would you serve alcohol at a kid's birthday party" to which some of us who don't have a problem with alcohol one way or another answered, yes, we would. For that, we were accused of being alcoholic, neglectful parents, accused of getting smashed in front of our kids and ruining their special day, accused of having alcoholic family members, of being selfish parents who care more about getting drunk at any opportunity than about our kids. All because what...we said we wouldn't have a problem SERVING alcohol to other responsible ADULTS at a party.

My dd's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd birthday parties were family affairs at home. There was wine served to the adults that wanted some. No one had too much and no one got drunk, and although I served it I didn't drink any. The kids were having a good time and could care less what was in the adult's glasses. The 4th and 5th were at venues where it woudn't have been appropriate. But what I serve to adults in my own home is my business, and it doesn't make me a binge drinker, an alcoholic, or any other ridiculousness that people have been accused of here.

It's not alcohol or drinking that is being defended. These have been rather personal attacks to our character and parenting, and that's what the defensiveness is about. Like you, most people here are not heavy drinkers and alcohol at a party or none is not relevant. But no one appreciates being attacked and judged, no matter what their position is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting