Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,758,001 times

Advertisements

I have always given my son's teachers a small gift at the end of the year as a thank you. But it gets expensive since my oldest has three seperate teachers, plus his regular one for his special services, and I don't want to leave them out because they have helped him so much. Does anyone have any suggestions on some inexpensive, but original gifts? Or even something my son's could make that would be simple? I usually get them something from Yankee for around $10 each, but with 5 teachers to buy for, it gets pricey and we just cannot afford it.

Do any of you not do this or is it a normal thing to do these days?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I think a heartfelt note is worth a lot. If you'd like to do more a small giftcard to Starbucks or Target is fine.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:23 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
I know what you mean, my son has 5 teachers, and my daughter 3, and that's just in their direct classroom. I once made up a bag with a cup-cake mix and little napkins. Another year I did plants. Just a small token. All the teachers I know say something small and usable is appreciated even if it's just a $5 gift card.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM

179 posts, read 516,771 times
We just had teacher appreciation week where we sent gifts. Does that mean I also need to send an end of year gift? It will have only been 3 weeks.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,184 times
OP check out pinterest for some ideas theres plenty of crafty gifts you could make them will run you under $10 each. Just type teacher gifts into the search bar.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:58 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Speaking as a teacher, I'd just as soon have a hand-drawn card made by my students. I have several that I've collected over the years, and I pull them out occasionally to look at them -- they never fail to make me smile.

(And I teach high school, BTW, not elementary school -- the cards are precious no matter the student's age.)

Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I sent $25 EACH for 6 teachers for our Annual Teacher Appreciation Luncheon. Each teacher gets a list of who contributed and what I call secondary teachers/assistants get to go too since basically only 1 ticket is needed for each teacher. I'm sure I was not the only one in the class who contributed. Excess goes into a general fund.

I do not give Christmas gifts or any other kind of gift during the school year but at the beginning of each year I send in dry erase supplies, kleenex, etc kind of classroom supplies which should not be considered gifts.

Last year we had a tremendous teacher who helped a lot and I knit a scarf for her which I sent to school for no special occasion. I have 3 other scarves going right now for future gifts. Doesn't cost a lot and can be done in evenings while watch TV.

I also encourage my kids to write sincere notes to the teachers.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think a heartfelt note is worth a lot. If you'd like to do more a small giftcard to Starbucks or Target is fine.

I am not sure why this custom is so wide spread, and I'm not a fan.
It gets expensive.

IF a teacher is especially good and had an impact on my child, I don't mind a small gift such as a gift card to Starbucks, or Target. Two things most people will use along with a note. Other gifts I have given are $20 to the local movie theater or Barns and Nobel. Twenty at most.

Candy is not always welcome these days, nor are baked goods.

If the teacher was nothing special, or worse; I give nothing.

I value education highly, but not all teachers are gems. They are payed for what they do.

Since I was in school, the quality of teachers at the elementary level, has diminished considerably. Many of the teachers are graduates of some of the worst, non - competitive four year colleges, and are hardly intellectuals. Some are slackers in fact.

My kids are in high high school now, so fortunately, the days of "forced teacher gift giving" have passed.

However, I an more than happy to give a heartfelt note and a small gift to any teacher who has had an impact on my children.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,873,576 times
At the end of the year the class parents collect 20 buckeroos from each family. They then buy the teacher an Amex gift card. This is for the main teacher. Not sure about the other teachers who teach music, art, science, gym etc. I always forget about them.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
I find that writing a note of appreciation citing the things the teacher did for your child that went above and beyond the call can go a long way. We send this to the admins for insertion into the teacher's personnel file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting