Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times

Advertisements

My DD is 13. Every year at Christmas, I try to get her all she wants (and things she needs). I usually do pretty well and find sales, etc. I typically start my holiday shopping in September (right after Labor Day).

Anyway.... this year, I was able to get her something that she's been asking for for YEARS (at least 3 years). I could never really afford the item before (and am squeaking in on it now) but was able to get it this year.

I was as excited as a little kid at Christmas when I was able to get it!!!! I cannot wait to see her face when she opens it. I think I'm more excited than she will be!

Soooo, my question is, do you (other parents, aunts, uncles, etc) feel the same way about gifts for your kids? Do you get crazy-excited when you're able to find something they really, really want?

I just can't get over my excitement and happiness about this!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
Awwwww....I'm sure you are going to make her very happy! I think the ability to bring happiness to people you care about is a good feeling. It's not even about the gift; it's the time and thought that goes into it.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM

24 posts, read 26,099 times
So sweet of you. These kind of things make people really happy and a Christmas gift really maters a lot. Getting a Christmas gift itself is really a nice feeling and upon that getting a gift that was longed for years is something like icing on the cake.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
I know what you mean, my sons are crazy about Sonic the Hedgehog and his buddy Tails. I found plush toys one of each on Amazon they are going to go nuts about them

Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
My DD is 13. Every year at Christmas, I try to get her all she wants (and things she needs). I usually do pretty well and find sales, etc. I typically start my holiday shopping in September (right after Labor Day).

Anyway.... this year, I was able to get her something that she's been asking for for YEARS (at least 3 years). I could never really afford the item before (and am squeaking in on it now) but was able to get it this year.

I was as excited as a little kid at Christmas when I was able to get it!!!! I cannot wait to see her face when she opens it. I think I'm more excited than she will be!

Soooo, my question is, do you (other parents, aunts, uncles, etc) feel the same way about gifts for your kids? Do you get crazy-excited when you're able to find something they really, really want?

I just can't get over my excitement and happiness about this!!!

YES!!!

My ODS has been asking for Skylanders forever. http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Spy...4035890&sr=8-1

We did not think we would be able to afford it so I kept telling him not to get his heart set on it. A friend of ours works for an electronics store and was able to get a huge discount on it. I cannot wait to see ODS face when he opens it because he really isn't expecting it!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I love to give my kids everything they want/ask for, but that is pretty much never possible, lol. So, we prioritize and work our way through their lists getting the things that they want most. My wife is probably the most organized person in the world when it comes to this and she coordinates the lists between the grandparents as well so they generally get just about everything they want.

This year is a little odd as no one asked for anything big, just a bunch of little stuff, but MAN was some of that hard to come by. My son wanted Mario Brothers plush dolls, you can't get these things anywhere near us except for Mario and Luigi, but of course he had those and wanted everyone else. Nothing like paying $20 on Amazon for a $1 plush toy, lol.

The other one that was a "big (small) thing" was the pink Power Ranger. My 3 year old has wanted this for the past couple months and walks around the house talking about how Santa is going to bring her a pink Power Ranger. Problem is, no store has had a pink Power Ranger in stock for months. So, back to the internet, EBay this time and we finally got one, only had to pay triple, lol.

Magritte - I really hadn't checked out the Skylanders game/figure thing before. That is really cool, I know my son would probably love it as well (don't tell him about it, lol), your sons a lucky kid.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
I love being able to buy my mom what she wants. My borther bought her a pandora bracelet last year for christmas and she only has one charm. So im going to get her the 3 piece baby girl charm set to honor her first grand daughter, those things are expensive. I know its not my children but I thought I'd share, ( I'm buying my DD diapers for xmas lol. Shes 3 months.)

Old 12-16-2011, 08:05 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I'm really excited for BabyGirl to open her "big" present this year. She's 19mo so this is the first time she'll really "get" gifts.

Anyway, we were at my sisters for Thanksgiving and her cousin had a play kitchen and she played with it (five days!) the entire time we were there!

Costco had a really cute set-up from Step2 so she's getting that. Plus a bunch of play food (Haba, Plan Toys, and and Erzi have great "not made in China" stuff).

I wanted her to have least one homemade thing too.. When I was a child, I knew Christmas was getting close because I would hear my mothers sewing machine whirring late in the night after we went to bed behind her closed bedroom door...

Everytime I'm in the kitchen she wants me to put the oven mitts on her. Last night I was finally able to get her to let me trace her hand so I'm going to whip up a few oven mitts and an apron or two for her on my sewing machine today....

Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Yes. It's exciting to be able to buy your child something that will knock his/her socks off.

I was planning to buy my toddler a kitchen set this Christmas. I wanted a wooden one, but couldn't afford it. I was set to buy a plastic one this week. Out of the blue, a co-worker mentioned that she had to get rid of her older kids' wooden kitchen set to make room for their big kid toys.

I asked her if she would sell it to me and she said yes. It's a $200 set with no sign of use. It's in mint condition and doesn't even have any chipped paint. The stove has a loose knob but that can easily be fixed.

I picked it up yesterday and she only asked for $25 even though she could have gotten $100 easily on Craig's list. So my little girl with have a beautiful present that I couldn't have imagined buying for her.

Can't wait to stock it with pots and pans and a wooden food set I ordered from Amazon.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'm really excited for BabyGirl to open her "big" present this year. She's 19mo so this is the first time she'll really "get" gifts.

Anyway, we were at my sisters for Thanksgiving and her cousin had a play kitchen and she played with it (five days!) the entire time we were there!

Costco had a really cute set-up from Step2 so she's getting that. Plus a bunch of play food (Haba, Plan Toys, and and Erzi have great "not made in China" stuff).

I wanted her to have least one homemade thing too.. When I was a child, I knew Christmas was getting close because I would hear my mothers sewing machine whirring late in the night after we went to bed behind her closed bedroom door...

Everytime I'm in the kitchen she wants me to put the oven mitts on her. Last night I was finally able to get her to let me trace her hand so I'm going to whip up a few oven mitts and an apron or two for her on my sewing machine today....

Aww thats so cute! Mini oven mitts and an apron! Too sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting