Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Sorry didn't see you say you didn't want to talk about it.
And you don't just tell us the name of the milestone or a brief description.
It's the internet, we're strangers, why do you care?

I am sorry for snapping a little. When I don't eat I get uncontrollably agitated.
This may be the internet but I don't care to have to defend myself here or anywhere. This is a serious concern that could impact dd's relationships for the rest of her life. Unfortunately, it's also something often attributed to bad parenting when it shouldn't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My father was not in position to put all of us through school. He made the choice that made sense to him.
Did he help you do things like explore possible scholarships?

My parents couldn't afford to put us through college either. Not fully. But BOTH of them helped us explore every option possible to pay costs. (And they helped in other ways.)

Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
This may be the internet but I don't care to have to defend myself here or anywhere. This is a serious concern that could impact dd's relationships for the rest of her life. Unfortunately, it's also something often attributed to bad parenting when it shouldn't be.
Seems like sharing it would help alleviate that. *shrug*

Old 05-06-2012, 03:13 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
The ignore people when they say bitchy things then....
I personally would like to know.
Maybe it's a milestone I missed because I seem to be floundering around not able to take care of myself, I mean we'll see for sure in a few months but for the most part I haven't been very successful up until now.
If you said other family members are like that in your family its something I will want to watch out when I have kids.

Can you DM me?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Did he help you do things like explore possible scholarships?

My parents couldn't afford to put us through college either. Not fully. But BOTH of them helped us explore every option possible to pay costs. (And they helped in other ways.)
No. He didn't see the point in educating a daughter since girls just got married and had babies. His concern was finding me a good husband. My father thought I deserved to be taken care of. He saw no sense in spending money preparing me for a career I would never have.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
My father thought I deserved to be taken care of.
Sorry. I'm not sure what that means.

(The "deserved" is throwing me.)

Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
I understand totally but maybe it is from the time I was raised and such.

deserving to be taken care of is not a denigration, or it need not be. it was a pearl of great value that a wise man would recognize.

was different times.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

deserving to be taken care of is not a denigration, or it need not be. it was a pearl of great value that a wise man would recognize.

was different times.
It was THOUGHT to be a great pearl.
Men made us the way we were back then, women back then could have done so much more than they were thought to be able to do.
The only reason women these days have the rights and freedoms and such that we didn't have before is because we finally stood up and said we can do the same things just as good if not better.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

was different times.
I did not take it as a denigration.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It was THOUGHT to be a great pearl.
Men made us the way we were back then, women back then could have done so much more than they were thought to be able to do.
The only reason women these days have the rights and freedoms and such that we didn't have before is because we finally stood up and said we can do the same things just as good if not better.

I know, I lived it. was there.

but the point of a pearl of great value is not what you are describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting