Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
True enough. But he is not a statistic. A statistical someone might panic. He won't.

Know thyself. *I* would not go for a gun to protect anyone. *I* would shoot myself in the foot. The weak link is not the gun. It is the person.

I totally agree. It is the person. That's funny, I'd probably shoot my neighbor in the foot. eek!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I am currently on a jury where the person involved is facing murder charges. Nothing I have heard so far leans towards this person being violent, except that a gun was right in front of him, and loaded.

I am passionately for gun control. I know many who are just as passionately defending their right to be armed. I do think if gun control was enacted 30 years ago, there would be a heck of a lot less in the wrong hands now.

I did allow my boys to have a BB gun. We had stringent rules about usage. Only at a tartet, everybody else had to be on the deck when it was fired, etc. The novelty wore off very quickly, and we gave it away.
That's your right, I understand some that are against guns. I live out in the desert though, and use it to protect myself from some wildlife. There was a mountain lion shot just 2 blocks from my home last month. I don't think they could have talked him down. lol Most of the time you can just let them pass but if you are out walking alone then it can be scary.

I would be upset if you took away my means of protection out here. I don't think I could successfully tackle a lion. Not on my best days. They come right into your yard out here, same with coyotes, bobcats, wild pigs, rattlesnakes. No worries most of the time but I do take caution, I live at the base of a mountain. We have some nippy coyotes lately.

I understand you don't personally use a gun, you don't like them, but I hope you don't get to take mine away. Not all people use guns for protection against people. What about hunting? Target shooting?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That's your right, I understand some that are against guns. I live out in the desert though, and use it to protect myself from some wildlife. There was a mountain lion shot just 2 blocks from my home last month. I don't think they could have talked him down. lol Most of the time you can just let them pass but if you are out walking alone then it can be scary.

I would be upset if you took away my means of protection out here. I don't think I could successfully tackle a lion. Not on my best days. They come right into your yard out here, same with coyotes, bobcats, wild pigs, rattlesnakes. No worries most of the time but I do take caution, I live at the base of a mountain. We have some nippy coyotes lately.

I understand you don't personally use a gun, you don't like them, but I hope you don't get to take mine away. Not all people use guns for protection against people. What about hunting? Target shooting?
There is a difference between gun control as making sure the people who want to be armed are responsible and safe and wanting to take other people's weapons away from them wholesale. I support the former but not the latter. I personally do not like firearms and will never own one, but I do support those who choose to own and use them responsibly.

Holy cow about the visiting mountain lion!

As for the OP, I think it's great that you are thinking through how to responsibly have your child and a weapon in the same home.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The lion was in a neighborhood? The last one I heard about being shot was a week ago and it was at a campsite WAY up in the hills.

We had a mountain lion in our neighborhood about a month ago. No one thought of shooting it as it was just trotting down the wash between houses. Everyone just stayed inside for a while.

I see the animals you mentioned on a daily basis just looking out my window. I've never even thought I need a gun as I think the risks out weigh the benefits. (We have practically zero crime. Just house break-ins when people leave their garage doors up a few inches.) We use common sense and don't do things like walk in the desert at dawn when the coyotes are looking for breakfast. I keep hoes around for snakes. (And I've yet to see a rattler except squished dead on the road.) If I see a snake I ID it and if it's not poisonous it's live and let live.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
One can continue to have the right to keep and bear arms in a controlled manner. The constitution does not say unfettered right to keep and bear arms.
On the reverse it makes no mention of restrictions....

As is stands, there should be no restrictions, and if the government wants to impose MORE restrictions, then they will have to go against the Consititution; which these days is pretty much SOP.

Make no mistake, I don't think people like Charlie Manson should have firearms, but the Gov should stay out of the business of the average citizen who isn't some crazed lunatic.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
If you choose to live out in the boonies, why on earth would you shoot a wild animal, unless it is attacking you, your family, or your pets? That's just wrong.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
On the reverse it makes no mention of restrictions....
At no point in history has silence on a subject indicated constitutional protection.

Quote:
As is stands, there should be no restrictions, and if the government wants to impose MORE restrictions, then they will have to go against the Consititution; which these days is pretty much SOP.

I doubt you would find too many constitutional scholars who would agree with that statement as written.

I, personally, would not mind seeing that amendment up for amendment discussion. It's original intent seems to no longer be applicable.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I checked, the NRA has a course in my area...for $200. That isn't feasible at the moment, although I would like to. Free advice here is priceless though.
In IL there is limited access to gun/hunter safety courses. I plan on enrolling my son in one, but have heard you have to wait in line for hours at the crack of dawn to get on a waiting list. You can also do this through some hunting clubs I believe. I still need to research this more.

Our guns are kept unloaded, in a locked safe, and each gun has a trigger lock. This was a recommendation from our close friend, a police chief. He also inspected the exterior of our house and recommended changes for making it less of a "mark" (e.g. cut shrubbery, lighting, etc.). Our guns are mainly for hunting/ranges and not house protection.

We are in the process of teaching our son gun safety through the use of air soft/ BB guns and plan on enrolling him in the safety course soon, though we may need to go to Wisc. to do it.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
If you choose to live out in the boonies, why on earth would you shoot a wild animal, unless it is attacking you, your family, or your pets? That's just wrong.
... You'd rather wait til its actually attacking somebody?

People are not randomly shooting wild animals. Moose, deer, and whatever else do not pose any danger. Coyote, bear, big cats whatever else? No, precautions do have to be taken because if they're getting too close to the human population, then something is wrong and protection is warranted.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
... You'd rather wait til its actually attacking somebody?

People are not randomly shooting wild animals. Moose, deer, and whatever else do not pose any danger. Coyote, bear, big cats whatever else? No, precautions do have to be taken because if they're getting too close to the human population, then something is wrong and protection is warranted.
Umm, I think you have that the wrong way round. It's not a matter of them getting too close to the human population, but the human population getting too close to the animals. The animals are always around, just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. If you choose to live remotely, there is absolutely no reason to shoot predators unless they are directly endangering yourself, your family, or your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting