Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My husband had his heart set on naming our son Jacob, an old family name. Every year when I see it is still the most popular boy's name I'm glad we decided against it.
Jacob was the name of my grandfather and my uncle. Then in my generation, no one was named Jacob because it was considered an old-fashioned name and fell out of use.

Now one of my cousins (my late Uncle Jake's daughter) has named a son that. When my daughter started kindergarten fifteen years ago, she had a Jacob in her class and I was surprised to hear that name on a little boy. Then I came to find out it was enjoying a popular revival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
I always find it interesting what people name their pets...probably falls much along popular names for children. An older man came in the other day with his therapy dog....her name was, "Tiffany".

When I worked with kids, teaching school...the bain of my existence was long, impossible names to spell, write, and pronounce. The worst one...."Devorande". "Mykelti"...whatever....what is with people who name their kids impossible names? Or worse yet....some sort of cutsie rhyme with the last name? Or sounds silly? Like "Pam Berger"?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I always find it interesting what people name their pets...probably falls much along popular names for children. An older man came in the other day with his therapy dog....her name was, "Tiffany".

When I worked with kids, teaching school...the bain of my existence was long, impossible names to spell, write, and pronounce. The worst one...."Devorande". "Mykelti"...whatever....what is with people who name their kids impossible names? Or worse yet....some sort of cutsie rhyme with the last name? Or sounds silly? Like "Pam Berger"?
I went to high school with a girl named Sandy Rocks.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Funny. I always name my pets names I like but would never give my kids. Zoey, Bailey, Sophie, Charlie - all good names I wouldn't actually use. Tiffany is totally a name I would give a dog but never a kid...I don't worry about ruining a dog's self image with a trendy name...I have one myself and hate it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are probably right. I am in the same generation of names as you are. My name is very common to women born in the late 1950s, and then there's another crop in the early-to-mid 60s with a slightly different spelling. It's what my daughter calls a "Mom name".

My great-grandmother was Henrietta. Eek.

I was surprised also when old-time names like Emily and Ava started coming back. My own kid has an old-fashioned name, named after my late MIL, and while it's not up there with the trendy ones, it's making a slight comeback because there's currently someone young and famous with the same name.
Hmm...can I take a guess and say your daughter's name is Adele?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Hey look an article on the ayden phenomenon.

Baby names: why do so many of the popular ones rhyme? - Slate Magazine

Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I would not remotely classify the names on the top ten lists as unusual. My 18 yo daughters name is Chloe, not COMMON at all when she was born (not even on the top 100) but it isn't an unusual name at all.

Besides it is so close to her hawaiian name (Kahloe), it just made things much easier for all of the relatives.
I like how that works.

(Is Kahloe pronounced with 3 syllables and the glottal stop? Because saying Aloha Kahloe would be a TON of fun and very melodic!)

Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
TODAY Moms

BOYS
1. Jacob
2. Mason
3. William
5. Noah
6. Michael
7. Ethan
8. Alexander
10. Daniel

GIRLS
1. Sophia
2. Isabella
3. Emma
4. Olivia
5. Ava
6. Emily
7. Abigail
8. Madison
10. Chloe

Trending names (growing in popularity every year:

BOYS
6. Barrett
8. Declan
9. Atticus

GIRLS
2. Angelique
4. Mila
9. Olive
10. June
These are the ones I like. To be honest, the majority of the standard top ten are pretty normal names. The trending ones for the most part suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Use traditional names. Bob, Mike, Bill, Sue, Mary, Beth, Brenda, Peggy.

Some of the trending names are odd. Atticus? I picture a big guy dressed in roman armor and wielding a sword. Iker should only be used if your last name ir Umba. Olive, June - I really do not care for names that are Dates, Months, colors, food, Cities or rocks. You are not going to see a June 15, 1896 Jensen; nor a Grand Canyon Jensen. For that matter you will not see a Purple, Yellow, Orange, Olive, Grape, Maple Tree, or Grandfather Clock Jensen from our family (I hope)
The majority of the top ten ARE traditional names. Heck, Mike is shortened form of Michael!

Atticus is from To Kill A Mockingbird; you know Atticus Finch. It's a very strong and powerful name. I like it.

Olive and June are older and coming back. Both much better than Shaquandra or DeNikeon.

Heck some of the older names can be really cool and some not so cool. Like Dorcas (very early American traditional girl's name), not so cool nowadays, but then it was.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
I'd say that the revival of Atticus has as much to do with Atticus Shaffer of "The Middle" as it does with To Kill a Mockingbird.

That little guy has hit the media rounds ever since the show began and has brought the name front and center where people see an actual child with the name.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,721 times
The dumbest name I have heard recently? Specialty. Every time her name is spoken, I just want to go find her mother and ask her, "How could you do such a thing?" I like unusual names but not ridiculous ones. I bet it is spelled ridiculously too. Speshaltee or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting