Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

One time my mother told me:

"The first thing you should think about when you wake up every day is what you are going to fix for supper"

i almost laughed in her face. I used to stand around in the kitchen about 5:30 pm madly dashing thru cupboards, freezer, fridge muttering "What to fix. What to fix" This was when I was running kids around to after school activities and I worked.

Now even though I am much older, I still have kids at home but rarely do I have the 5:30 dash. I am using my crock pot almost 4 nights a week so I get it started right after the kids leave for school.

So when do you start preparing for supper in your mind?

And do you make a weekly menu?

I shop weekly with meals in mind but not exactly a menu except during holidays and when we have company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
I buy the things my family likes but I don't keep strict menus. I am thinking about what to fix for supper right now (9:46 Eastern). I have to go to Costco because I have very little food in the house right now.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
Every 2 weeks I grocery shop. I plan 12-14 meals and then buy everything I need for those meals. I go to the produce mart 1 or 2 a week to get fresh veggies. Then in the morning I decide from my list what Im going to make for the day.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

"The first thing you should think about when you wake up every day is what you are going to fix for supper"
No way. I don't know what is for dinner the night before, I am lost. I usually know on Sunday what is on deck for the week and what I have to take out of the freezer on what day.

Quote:
i almost laughed in her face. I used to stand around in the kitchen about 5:30 pm madly dashing thru cupboards, freezer, fridge muttering "What to fix. What to fix" This was when I was running kids around to after school activities and I worked.

Now even though I am much older, I still have kids at home but rarely do I have the 5:30 dash. I am using my crock pot almost 4 nights a week so I get it started right after the kids leave for school.

Almost always.

Quote:
I shop weekly with meals in mind but not exactly a menu except during holidays and when we have company.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 AM

331 posts, read 603,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

When I was cooking for 5-10 people a night, I planned weekly menus, with the kids picking a day and a dinner to help me with. Now my household is myself,and two kiddos, I buy (like you) with ideas in mind, but definitly not set in stone. Until we have company then planning is a must, in order not to panic last minute! I think menus do make things easier, we are just so busy rushing and plans change to often to hardly know when we will make it in every night!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
I need to be doing a weekly menu, I've been procrastinating but hope to get in the habit after we move into our new home. Having small kiddos is a big drawback for me when it comes to planning. At this point, I rarely thinking about dinner before 3pm which is not the right way to approach it, I know. I also don't love to cook; it depends on my mood which often has to do with the kind of day I've had. Self-centered outlook and I resolve to change it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I plan the menu for the week and try to do all my grocery shopping at once. If I don't have something specific planned in advance I tend to stare in bewilderment into the fridge around 5:30. It's always harder for me this time of year because it stays light later and later. Time slips away from me, and I hate making dinner at 7:30 or (gulp) later.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Usually around 4:30 pm (the kids and I eat by 5:30). DH does the grocery shopping once a week, as I abhor doing it, so I choose what we're having that night from whatever he brought home just before getting it going. I would rather chew my own arm off than spend the day thinking about and prepping dinner. If I can't get it done soup to nuts in under an hour, we don't have it (though it's amazing how much one can accomplish in that hour!). I think it's great that some people enjoy cooking enough to spend a lot of time working on it each day. Don't get me wrong, we eat healthy home-cooked meals (because that's part of my job description), but the less time I have to dedicate to it, the happier I am.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Every 2 weeks I grocery shop. I plan 12-14 meals and then buy everything I need for those meals. I go to the produce mart 1 or 2 a week to get fresh veggies. Then in the morning I decide from my list what Im going to make for the day.
Wow. This is so impressive. I know there are websites that specialize in this sort of thing but I'm intimidated by the mere thought of it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,731 times
If it is a shopping day or on Sundays, where I cook a bigger dinner, I'll think about it in the morning. On "normal" days, about 4pm for a 6 pm dinner. Or I realise it's 6pm already and I haven't even thought let alone prepared anything, and we end up eating Stouffer's Lasagna or something. Not ashamed to admit we have a frozen dinner once or twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting