Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 3,619 times

Advertisements

Not even sure this is in the right forum so feel free to move it if neccesary.

My husband and I have 3 kids. Our 19yo is not living with us and has not lived with us since about the age of 14 by order of Children's Court as the result of a CHIPS order requested by us. Very long sad story(drugs, running away, manipulation, criminal charges, accusations that we abused him and the list goes on-he also has a couple of DX's). So, at the current moment we have very little to no contact with him and this is mutual.

This is where my question lies:

Would it be inappropriate to have a family picture without him? Would YOU do this? How would you feel if you walked in a house and saw a family picture minus one of their kids for similar reasons? Feedback please, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Why wouldn't you? Does he ever come over? You could always ask him if he wanted to be in the picture if you're worried about it.

My parents had pictures taken with just my Brother and some with just me. I'm not offended.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
No.
That's just the picture you took of the people who are in the house.

If you put a giant plaque under it that says, "THIS IS OUR OFFICIAL FAMILY," then that might be a little hurtful.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Go ahead and take a family photo.

I was at my friend's house the other day and looking through the family photos. Her mother (who had 3 children) was married to a man with a child, so it was a nice blended family-- until the man's child had cancer. The cancer destroyed the marriage and the couple soon divorce after the child's death. My friend said that she and her siblings were very affected by the loss of their "brother" so you see in the proceeding family pictures that one of them is holding a picture of the "brother". its been almost 20 years and they still acknowledge the loss. Its usually the friend's sister (who shared the same b'day as the boy) that wears the portrait brooch.

Maybe take that idea and incorporate it into yours?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Spazkat, no, he never comes over. He's not very welcome here although, if he showed up at our doorstep we wouldn't send him packin'. KWIM? Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it!

Stan,
Quote:
That's just the picture you took of the people who are in the house
I like how you presented this. Never thought about it that way.

Some people might say that doing this is rotten. What do yo say then?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Lol...if you don't call it a 'family portrait,' no one can really say anything, can they?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Go ahead and take a family photo.

I was at my friend's house the other day and looking through the family photos. Her mother (who had 3 children) was married to a man with a child, so it was a nice blended family-- until the man's child had cancer. The cancer destroyed the marriage and the couple soon divorce after the child's death. My friend said that she and her siblings were very affected by the loss of their "brother" so you see in the proceeding family pictures that one of them is holding a picture of the "brother". its been almost 20 years and they still acknowledge the loss. Its usually the friend's sister (who shared the same b'day as the boy) that wears the portrait brooch.

Maybe take that idea and incorporate it into yours?
Wow, what a great way to acknowledge such a loss.

I like the idea. Definitely gonna give that some thought. Thank you!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...if you don't call it a 'family portrait,' no one can really say anything, can they?

You are right about that! lol

Old 05-19-2012, 03:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
Go ahead and take the picture. If you had a child living abroad for a couple of years, you wouldn't think twice about it.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:29 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
The idea of holding a photo or something like that is wonderful if the person is deceased or in another country on a peace corps mission or in the military. I think you should just take the picture without him. If he cleans up at some point, take another picture with him included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting