Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 AM

400 posts, read 566,686 times

Advertisements

Ok so I have a 6 year old who is very squirmy and mistrusting about letting me help her with these types of things. She will complain and cry but when I try to help she freaks out and it honestly really bothers me. She currently has a wart on her hand and I am using an over the counter treatment. It is a big ordeal to get her hand washed and dried and medication applied, or even to let me look at it. Some times I feel the urge to strong arm/ hold her down and just take care of it but I know it must be really scary for her and I don't want to loose trust over it. With her first tooth, I was the one that got it out and even though it was only hanging by a thread there was some blood and it scared her so I let her leave the others until they fall out on their own.

My question is what are your childhood memories of parent intervention on these things? (I know many parents are tie your tooth to a door and slam types) How do you feel about this now? How have you handled it with your own kids? What seems to have the most calming and least resentful results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
Ok so I have a 6 year old who is very squirmy and mistrusting about letting me help her with these types of things. She will complain and cry but when I try to help she freaks out and it honestly really bothers me. She currently has a wart on her hand and I am using an over the counter treatment. It is a big ordeal to get her hand washed and dried and medication applied, or even to let me look at it. Some times I feel the urge to strong arm/ hold her down and just take care of it but I know it must be really scary for her and I don't want to loose trust over it.
It probably IS scary for her. The trick is to be sympathetic to that while still insisting it be done with a limit of fuss. I am going to get hammered hard for this next bit, but since it worked, I am gonna share.

She is six. I would say sit her down with her hand no where near. Tell her honey I know you don't want this taken care of. Yes, it is going to hurt. We HAVE to take care of it. As your mother, it is my job to take care of your health even when you don't want me to. You can let me do it. And I can try to teach you some calming techniques or you can scream and cry. Since I HAVE to take care of this for your health, if you scream and cry, I am going to have to hold you down. If you can manage to let me do it, we can have a big cry together when it is over. What would you prefer to do?

Quote:
With her first tooth, I was the one that got it out and even though it was only hanging by a thread there was some blood and it scared her so I let her leave the others until they fall out on their own.
I would not be surprised that if you treated these with a little more matter of fact instead, this is how it has to be, she might not be in this state now. Not trying to offend, but by allowing the drama to continue, you may have fed it.
[qyote]

My question is what are your childhood memories of parent intervention on these things? (I know many parents are tie your tooth to a door and slam types) How do you feel about this now? How have you handled it with your own kids? What seems to have the most calming and least resentful results? [/quote]

Ok somebody time to pull that tooth.
I don't want to!
Yah I know you don't want to, but it needs to be done.
Is it going to hurt? Yah, it might. But I know you can do it.
Ok.

I have never had a child become resentful of me for trying to protect their health.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
and mistrusting
I think that's the key right there.

Why doesn't she trust you?

I'm not trying to come down on you, but if you have their trust most kids WANT the parent to help them with these things.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:52 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,584 times
I have no advice about childhood memories! I do know that duct tape works for warts. Just put a small piece on, get a pumice stone that you use only use for warts and when duct tape comes/falls off, pumice and reapply tape until it's gone! She may be able to do it herself?

I've never yanked a tooth, he just wiggled them and pulled them out himself.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
I don't get involved in my kids' loose teeth and splinters. Both work themselves and/or can be removed by the owner of the tooth/splinter. Neither of my kids (currently 11 and 9) has choked on a tooth or died from blood poisoning yet. Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother with wart treatment, either... I don't think they're terribly effective. If you're that worried about it, let her do it herself, either with the medication (you spread the petroleum jelly around the area first, and let her apply the medication and put the bandaid on) or with the duct tape. None of these issues are worth fighting over.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't get involved in my kids' loose teeth and splinters. Both work themselves and/or can be removed by the owner of the tooth/splinter. Neither of my kids (currently 11 and 9) has choked on a tooth or died from blood poisoning yet. Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother with wart treatment, either... I don't think they're terribly effective. If you're that worried about it, let her do it herself, either with the medication (you spread the petroleum jelly around the area first, and let her apply the medication and put the bandaid on) or with the duct tape. None of these issues are worth fighting over.
Actually that is better advice, I think. Save the big guns for when it really matters, like antibiotics that she actually HAS to take.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,560 times
You WANT to pull the teeth out?!!? My son just started loosing teeth and he's dying to try the whole string around the tooth/door slam thing and it grosses me out to no end. Even just watching it wiggle makes me want to hurl. He made me watch so many videos on you tube of other kids doing and I still couldn't work up the nerve! I just let them fall out on their own.

In other news: After years of yo-yo dieting I've finally found a solution that completely supresses my appetite.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

I'm not trying to come down on you, but if you have their trust most kids WANT the parent to help them with these things.
I was always petrified of my parents taking splinters out because they used a needle.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I agree with this, save it for the big guns. I think my kids would let me do it, but it's just not necessary.

Take her to a dermatologist for the warts, takes a few minutes and they're gone.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

meh... some people are just squeamish about things. My 8 year old can barely sit still for us to remove a splinter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting