Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I know what it's like to be a working mom. This will be the first summer of dd's life that I won't be working 1 full time and 1 part time job (just 1 part time job.) So this will be the first summer we can really enjoy together, on a very limited budget of course! She did qualify for a scholarship to a one week musical theater camp, which she will LOVE. I'm excited for her! Trips to the beach, library, free zoo, and at the end of the summer, the big water park here, then she will be starting kindergarten. I can't believe the time has gone so fast, and I intend to enjoy every moment of this summer with her. In the fall, I'll be working full time again, and will probably never have another summer to enjoy like this one.
Good for you, sounds great.

Most movie theaters have free or cheap summer movies. Also worth looking into free outdoor concerts and movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:31 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
3) My kids are not taking summer swim lessons at any of the local pools and my daughter, who loves to swim, is not participating in summer swim team. Why? – Because no one offers these activities in the evening. These missed opportunities make me sad.
What about city or rec leagues or YMCA?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
I know what it's like to be a working mom. This will be the first summer of dd's life that I won't be working 1 full time and 1 part time job (just 1 part time job.) So this will be the first summer we can really enjoy together, on a very limited budget of course! She did qualify for a scholarship to a one week musical theater camp, which she will LOVE. I'm excited for her! Trips to the beach, library, free zoo, and at the end of the summer, the big water park here, then she will be starting kindergarten. I can't believe the time has gone so fast, and I intend to enjoy every moment of this summer with her. In the fall, I'll be working full time again, and will probably never have another summer to enjoy like this one.
Oh, enjoy! You may want to try your township's website - frequently there are free or really inexpensive activities during the summer months.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Many of the parents around here hire younger teenagers as nannies. They network with the SAHM's to drive the kids if need be, and to be their go to people during the day. Seems to work well.
Interesting Zim. Around here, people seem to higher older teens with cars, so they don't have to stress over driving arrangements. My 14 yr old really wants to pick up a nanny job but no one wants to hire a kid who doesn't drive.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM

356 posts, read 917,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Many of the parents around here hire younger teenagers as nannies. They network with the SAHM's to drive the kids if need be, and to be their go to people during the day. Seems to work well.
If I'm still working a 9-5 office job next summer, I may try to hire a college student nanny. My DS will be between K and 1st then and the economics of daycamp for 2 kids may make this a more reasonable.

Quote:

Sounds Awesome! Enjoy your summer.

As far as cheap activities: I've heard of a kids-bowl-free program that's nationwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What about city or rec leagues or YMCA?
In general, it seems like almost all the pools do lessons and swim team in the morning and open swim in the afternoon/ evening including the city pools. One of the private pools does lessons in the evening but our pool use, doesn't justify paying for the membership. One of the Y's has Sat. classes that were great for my daughter for a while but when the # of students increased the quality really went down.

DD will get swimming lessons and free swim in her main camp, which is great - I just wish she could do summer swim team because I've heard it is fun and she has expressed an interest in swim team. DS wanted to stay at the daycare with this friends rather than go to daycamp so unfortunately he'll miss out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Our 'town pool' has a membership fee of $578 and the fees for beach tags are high too. Lucky he's young enough to have fun right in our backyard. I hope I can keep us both entertained.
Luckily, a city pool pass here is only $60 per family for residents. We always get this because even if we just go once every couple of weeks, it is worth the $$.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Our 'town pool' has a membership fee of $578 and the fees for beach tags are high too. Lucky he's young enough to have fun right in our backyard. I hope I can keep us both entertained.
Very few beaches charge a beach badge fee for anyone under the age of 14.

Actually none except that I know of.

Oh and I would suggest everyone visit their county, state and even national park websites. Lots of decent, free activities, but they fill up fast.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Can I join in?

In my community reservations for any summer activities begin Feb 1 and they fill up fast. Who knows in Feb what their kid will want to do in summer? Who knows their work/vacation schedule that far in advance?

So here we are in the last week of school and I have 1 who will need to go to summer school. I signed them both up for really fun activities in Feb cause I had been burned before. I doubt I can get a refund. One daughter will be away all morning and the other will be miserable. They might as well be attached at the hip, they are so close (only 4 months apart in age- adopted).

They share a room by choice and while one can sleep in the other will have to get up early. Different bedtimes? I guess so.

But we have a great neighborhood pool which most people enjoy late in the day anyway and a 13 y.o. girl down the street who will be able to take them there.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
First, I have to ask...when you all say 'day camps' what exactly do you have for your kids? And what ages I am wondering?

For instance, who runs the camps? Are they theme specific? What is included?

I ask because what is considered summer camps around here are either what the YMCA terms their summer care or something different each week offered by the city recreational department, local community college or perhaps a church organization.

More people seem to use child care centers here, who offer special programs during the summer, if their kids are about 10 or younger than using the few camps available here.

After that age, many either use relatives, leave them home alone or with a friend. The camps seem to be the exception and not the norm here.

Anyway, in regards to the OP. I used to work outside the home, however my older girls always went to the child care center, so not much changed. We did stay up later and of course were outside far more.

Since becoming a home provider, our summers are filled with lots of down time mixed in with various trips to free or dollar movies, free library programs, science museum membership usage and now swimming in our new pool (15ft x 4ft) which is where I am heading next. :-)

The best thing is I don't have to get up so early and since I never go to bed early this helps me get a little more sleep.
The challenge is keeping the younger two from getting on each others nerves and still have some fun, with less money than we'd like to have.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
When I got my Son he was 10y/4->5th grade was our 1st summer. We did a 2 week vacation trip, Rest of summer he was in parks/rec day camp. I put $'s into my Dependent Care Account for the day camp it was pre-tax money. So that lower the effective cost by about 25%. Did Middle School advenuture camp next 3 year.

He Aged out of the camps, and was more able to be home alone some. I would work from homes some days. I did ship him off to my dad for a 2 week visit one year. His 1st flight alone. But was non/stop and I took him to gate & my dad meet him at baggage on other end. (My dad wanted him to take the bus from Boston to NH). I said no dad.. you will drive to Boston. Stand in baggage claim and wait for him. The only bus my kid as ever been on is a school bus. My dad grew up in NYC in the 40's and was riding the subways alone at 11...

Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
My DD finishes 2nd grade tomorrow. The beginning of my 3rd summer as a mom with a 9-5 outside-of-the home job and a school-age child

Since I don't blog, I please humor me while I share my thoughts as the summer starts....

Things that suck about summer and daycamps.

1) Packing lunches. Yes – you read that correctly. While many moms across the nation are celebrating not having to pack lunches for the next 3 months. The reverse is true for me. School lunches are my friend. The prospect of packing lunches for camp that do not need to be microwaved and that my DD is not sick of after eating my packed lunches for 5 years in daycare is daunting to me. Luckily, the main camp she is going to attend provides hot lunch (20 lunches covered/ 28 lunches to pack).

2) Camp only starts an hour later than school and it takes longer to get there. My husband and I still have to be at work at the same time. Please do not complain to me that your children have gotten off schedule and are staying up too late during the summer. Please do not ask me if my children have gotten off schedule. It breaks my heart that we still have to wake her up and get her out the door every morning and bed time still has to occur at a reasonable hour.

3) My kids are not taking summer swim lessons at any of the local pools and my daughter, who loves to swim, is not participating in summer swim team. Why? – Because no one offers these activities in the evening. These missed opportunities make me sad.

Things that are awesome about summer and daycamps

1) No uniforms to wash. The battle to keep the white uniform shirts unstained and wearable is over for the year. Likewise the attention to the laundry necessary to make sure the uniforms that still fit and don’t have stains are clean 5 days a week. I am eagerly waiting the back-to-school sales to restock.

2) No Homework. I hate it more now than when I was a kid.

3) No test/ assignment anxiety.

4) Happy Daughter – Summer daycamps are pricy here but for the $$$, she gets a summer full of activities, crafts, learning, and (hopefully) friends.

Happy summer to all!
Just think 3-4 more years and you can just leave her at home all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting