Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

This story is sad, and I have heard a few similar to it. People really need some perspective on "stranger danger". Statistically, sadly, friends, aquaintances, and family are more likely to harm our children, and yet people remain obsessed by "stranger danger".

Quote:
I was accused of abusing a child when I rescued him from drowning. I was swimming on beach and I noticed a 8 or 9 year old kid come off his little surf board and he sunk straight to the bottom, about 10 feet deep. I swam down and rescued the kid and swam him back to the beach. As soon as I got the child to the beach he was crying and coughing up water, his mother ran down screaming to leave her boy alone. She was screaming at me so loudly that people were crowding around to see what had happened. At this time the life guards turned up and I advised them what happened as I could not talk any sense to the mother. The life guards took the boy and mother to the life guard hut and I went back to my towel on the beach.

One of the life guards came back to me 10 minutes later and ask me to stay where I am because the police have been called and the mother wants to press charges. The cops turned up 20 minutes later and interviewed me and at that time another lady came up to the police and corroborated my story. The cops let me go, no apology from mother who was marching off the beach arguing with the cops after they told her what happened. If it was not for the other lady I believe I would be sitting in a police cell for rescuing a kid.
Man Rescues Drowning Boy, Mom Accuses Him of Being a Pedophile « FreeRangeKids (http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/man-rescues-drowning-boy-mom-accuses-him-of-being-a-pedophile/ - broken link)

bexxman comments on A woman just called me a pedophile after I politely held the door open for her two year old daughter. What horrendous, unjustifiable accusations have you faced, Reddit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Amen. Our collective criminalization of men who work with, volunteer with, or simply help out children, is so detrimental to our kids it makes my heart hurt. My husband loves kids, runs our youth group at church, volunteers at our kids' school, I admit I worry that someday that someone will accuse him of something. This week a mother complained to the school about fathers volunteering in the classroom-God forbid our kids have positive male role models.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
It's a shame that there are paranoid parents like this out there. Hearing stories like this, there is going to be another time when an adult will let a child drown, or get hurt in some other way, for fear of accusations. I think there is a way to teach kids to be cautious without making them believe that a pedophile lurks around every corner. How can anybody be happy and live a normal life with this kind of thinking?

Edited to add, a while ago, there was a thread about male preschool teachers. Apparently, just being male and teaching preschool made this young man suspect. This reminded me of that.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
I have a friend who is extremely paranoid. She used to work in a kids group home. Most of them had been removed from their homes due to abuse, many due to sexual abuse. She would scowl at men that smile and her kids and comment, "How cute your child is!". It's really sad. I think she sees pedophiles everywhere now.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My BIL studied to be a teacher, even got his masters degree. On his second day as a kindergarten teacher, one of the little boys was trying to stab another in the eye with a pencil. BIL picked up the boy and prevented the injury. He was fired for picking up the student. I really feel like that wouldn't have happened if he was female.

I sometimes think the reason we are so overzealous about stranger danger is that we just want to scare our kids so we don't have to watch them. If you're sending your 5 year old out to play in the front yard, or down the street, it makes sense to tell them not to talk to anyone but other kids. I'm always outside with my kids, so it's okay if they talk to the man who walks past with his dogs, or the guy jogging with his stroller, or the mailman, or the ice cream man. I'm there and nothing is going to happen.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Amen. Our collective criminalization of men who work with, volunteer with, or simply help out children, is so detrimental to our kids it makes my heart hurt. My husband loves kids, runs our youth group at church, volunteers at our kids' school, I admit I worry that someday that someone will accuse him of something. This week a mother complained to the school about fathers volunteering in the classroom-God forbid our kids have positive male role models.
No doubt. When we lived in Japan, the local (children of military members stationed there) were in need of Troop Leaders since many of the Dads were deployed - the kids weren't able to do some of their activites since they had no leaders... A couple Dads we knew keep asking my husband to help out but he was really reluctant since we didn't have any children of our own and he thought that some people might find it odd that a 30 something man suddenly wanted to off in the woods with other peoples children...

My husband also "geocaches" - for those that don't know - it's a hobby where, using your handheld GPS you look for treasures hidden by other geocachers. Alot of them are hidden in local parks and sometimes near playground equipmnt (often they are hidden in tiny boxes attched to the underside of benchs and the like with magnets). He has , on several occasions, been confronted by Mommies for being there without children...

I know there have been parks that have mde it illegal for unacompanied adults to be in them....There was some poor guy labeled as a pervert because, accordig to parents he was doing pull-ups on the playground and taking pictures with his cell phone of children (it turned out he was using the phone's stopwatch feature to time his pull-ups). Poor guy even ended up being featured on the local news...

How a Guy Using His Cell Phone's Stopwatch Became 'The Mountain Lake Park Lurker'

Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
I drive around a lot for my job, and if I have to pull over somewhere to make phone calls (or just take a break), I'm always careful not to park near playgrounds or schools. Not that I look like I'd be some pervert or anything like that, I just don't need any unwarranted attention.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Very sad. That good samaritan will probably think twice before he helps another person in need.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
The same woman would have been screaming her head off if no one did anything.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM

645 posts, read 988,796 times
I don't know who I feel more sorry for, the rescuer or the kid! Imagine what this kid has to deal with every day!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting