Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

More of what cases exactly? Are you in law enforcement? Are you talking about stalkers or what specifially?
Not law enforcement - but a security company.

I'm not talking about stalkers specifically, I'm talking about parents who hand their children over to the internet with no supervision at all. 99.98% of the people who "follow" young people on this instagram site are harmless. The other .02% end up like this:

Syndicated Content - Vertical Acuity - WLBT.com - Jackson, MS

it doesn't mention instagram, but the RUMOR is that he met them on a social network, perhaps MAYBE instagram.

My point in this post is PLEASE be aware of what your kids are using and what those apps do.

Instagram allows them to search for pictures too.

Download it on your own phone, search for penis, you want your kiddos seeing all that? Even if you go out of your way to protect your network, it's not enough.

Last edited by Blazah1080; 06-01-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Why do kids need smart phones and FB anyway? I survived just fine without them. I see my teenage cousins posting all over FB, and it's nothing but DRAMA. But the adults aren't really any better honestly.
True enough. I've deleted more adults off my FB account than teens.

We do use it as a family to keep in touch.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Why do kids need smart phones and FB anyway? I survived just fine without them. I see my teenage cousins posting all over FB, and it's nothing but DRAMA. But the adults aren't really any better honestly.
Well kids don NEED smartphones or FB. However, most people do not limit themselves and their children to the bare necessities of life. Smartphones and FB are just two of millions of things that people have/use that they do not need.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Not law enforcement - but a security company.

it doesn't mention instagram, but that's how he met them, on a social network.
Question: I can't find anything that says the alleged perp met them on a social network site. All I can find is the police saying they won't release details.

Why are you releasing details if the cops aren't?

(If you have another link, I'd like to read it. Right now all we have is a mug shot and your claim.)

Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Question: I can't find anything that says the alleged perp met them on a social network site. All I can find is the police saying they won't release details.

Why are you releasing details if the cops aren't?

(If you have another link, I'd like to read it. Right now all we have is a mug shot and your claim.)
It's just what I "heard".

Back in 2003 this is what we had to worry about..

Internet Chat Leads To Arrest - Hartford Courant

and

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-510739.html

It's basically the same idea (young girls putting themselves out there without parents knowing), but with pictures.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
It's just what I "heard".
Then you might want to start thinking about the use of the word "alleged" and your responsibilities if you are hearing "special" information from your employer.

Both the accused and the victims have rights. I'm kind of surprised that if you are indeed a professional in this area you aren't aware of that. You could be making your point without that particular link. Which does not substantiate what you are claiming.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Then you might want to start thinking about the use of the word "alleged" and your responsibilities if you are hearing "special" information from your employer.

Both the accused and the victims have rights. I'm kind of surprised that if you are indeed a professional in this area you aren't aware of that. You could be making your point without that particular link. Which does not substantiate what you are claiming.
I understand what you are saying and will change my approach in the future. Edited post.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I think it is important to be aware of the default settings and know how to change them.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think it is important to be aware of the default settings and know how to change them.
That will at the least keep strangers from "liking" your kids photos, telling them how pretty they are and grooming them for later sexual exploitation. However it doesn't stop inappropriate material from showing up when they click "popular" to show the top photos of the moment. It also wont stop lewd stuff from easily being pulled up from a search.

I'm not against children seeing nudity, but when they search these apps looking for this stuff, it's not depicted as artistic or beautiful, it's often degrading and will warp their views of what sexuality is. Yes it does go this far.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
That will at the least keep strangers from "liking" your kids photos, telling them how pretty they are and grooming them for later sexual exploitation. However it doesn't stop inappropriate material from showing up when they click "popular" to show the top photos of the moment. It also wont stop lewd stuff from easily being pulled up from a search.

I'm not against children seeing nudity, but when they search these apps looking for this stuff, it's not depicted as artistic or beautiful, it's often degrading and will warp their views of what sexuality is. Yes it does go this far.
I don't know much about instagram. I'll look into it before it is time for the kids to get phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting