Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:29 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,408 times

Advertisements

i am not parent, but my brother is, and his 13yr old son still wets his bed. at the moment they are a little worried, shouldnt he have stopped by now? when they are visting us, like when we were together for the summer holidays, he creates such a pile of laundry, and some gets left with me to deal with, btw - i am not married. and then theres the damage to the mattress. his poor parents have had to change them far too many times, i feel it for them. the boy is so sweet, and now big, but this has got to stop, if is his friends find this out he d be done for. so please mumies and daddies - what advise would you have for our little predicament, my mattress is in dire need of your words of wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
for the bed I can only suggest a good mattress pad. i sent you a direct message on this topic, hope you do not mind

Old 09-23-2007, 04:14 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
My son had accidents until 11-not daily, but still. He is only 12 now, but thankfully hasn't had an accident yet!

SO that we didn't ruin his mattress, he had a "pee pad" underneath his sheets.

First, I had taken him to the doctor. God Forbid he had some kind of urinary problem, bladder problem, or diabetes. I do think your brother should take him to the doctor, just to be sure.

My son's tests came back normal. So then we didn't let him have anythign to drink after 7:00 PM...and a little itty bitty sip of water at bedtime. It worked, but not always. We also made him go pee RIGHT as it was bedtime.

The thing is, my son is a super heavy sleeper. I think that he was such a heavy sleeper that the pull of his bladder was not enough to wake him up.

Since your brother's son is older, and seems to be doing it more frequently (what I gathered from your post), I would say to do all of the stuff I mentioned...but perhaps the son needs to have an alarm go off in the middle of the night, at say midnight, to wake himself up and use the facilities. I know it sounds harsh, but after his body is trained to wake up at that time (like mine is trained to wake up at 6 in the morning, even if I don't have work ), then he won't need the alarm and hopefully will just go on his own.

I would also get not just the pee pad (with lining) for the bed, but also they have a specific sheet to put over the mattress-kinda like rubber...I would put that down first over the mattress because if pee just got on it, it would roll off-but it protects the mattress, so put that on first, and then the pee pad, and then a normal sheet. Your mattress and his at home will be fine.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
If he hasn't already he should bring his son to the doctor about this. In some cases they use medication, in others they will outgrow it in time. Our neighbors have 3 children and all have done this into adulthood, as did the husband. In their case it was hereditary. They used adult pull-ups on them just at night to spare the mom all the laundry daily. It is likely something he cannot help in any way, but he should be seen by a physician.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
He should absolutely see at doctor! Also, have there been any recent changes/stressors? Has he always wet the bed?

Old 09-23-2007, 01:08 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,408 times
Always. minimum 3 times a week and maximum 5 times a week. they had made him stop drinking in the evenings, but i think he secretly helps himself to something to drink. i shall pass your words of wisdom to his parents, thanks alot guys you have been most helpful.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:08 PM

560 posts, read 2,188,267 times
My son was also a bed wetter. First and foremost, I can promise you this child does not want to wet his bed. It is very embarrasing and I am sure he feels ashamed. You mentioned that your nephew is a big child. My son was also big for his age. What happens is that while they may be growing on the outside it takes a while for the inside to catch up. His bladder may not have grown at the same rate. We used medication for awhile so that he could go to sleep overs and not worry about being "found out". Many, many boys have this problem, girls too but it seems to be more common with boys. We just always kept a plastic sheet on his bed and he was responsible for washing his sheets and clothing. Just when it seemed it would never end it did, literally almost overnight.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
My brother wet the bed until at least 12 or 13. My mom used a bedwetting alarm to alert him to when he was getting wet. She also took him to a pediatric chiropractor for some adjustments. This approach worked for him and the bedwetting stopped after about 6 months.

My mom would make the bed up with a waterproof mattress pad, plastic sheet, and then his sheet, then put another sheet of plastic with another sheet on top of that. That way, my brother would just strip off the top sheet and the plastic if he got wet and there would be dry bedding underneath for him to use rather than having a huge disruption in the middle of the night.

There are all kinds of products and references here:
Bedwetting Store - Bedwetting Alarms, Waterproof Bedding and More!

Hope that helps.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
i am not parent, but my brother is, and his 13yr old son still wets his bed. at the moment they are a little worried, shouldnt he have stopped by now? when they are visting us, like when we were together for the summer holidays, he creates such a pile of laundry, and some gets left with me to deal with, btw - i am not married. and then theres the damage to the mattress. his poor parents have had to change them far too many times, i feel it for them. the boy is so sweet, and now big, but this has got to stop, if is his friends find this out he d be done for. so please mumies and daddies - what advise would you have for our little
predicament, my mattress is in dire need of your words of wisdom.
its not an age thing. possible reasons for bed wetting.
disturbance mental or emotional.
molestation. high possibility all the cards are not on the table on this one.
see a counselor asap.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times
You know what--my husband's best friend wet the bed until he was 17 yo. He is a really deep sleeper. His 9 yo daughter has the same bed wetting issues. They've tried the alarms, not drinking before bed, etc. and it hasn't stopped yet. They are very into alternative medicine and feel that chiropractic treatment helps the situation. Your brother and his wife should seek help from their pediatrician and then look at all avenues. Not only is it an inconvenience with laundry, etc., but think about what it does to your nephew's self-esteem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting