Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support requiring a Parent License
Yes - The decision to become a parent is far too important to take lightly 41 40.20%
No - Having children is a fundamental right that should be totally free of any public involvement 61 59.80%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:21 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times

Advertisements

I think enforcement and system flaws in implementing such a license are a different issue than whether the license itself is a good idea - assuming it could be perfectly implemented and enforced. I agree it would be a difficult thing to carry out.

But too many people here just seem to have a knee-jerk reaction of "OMG how can you give the gov't this power??"
Keep in mind in some areas of the Middle East, for instance, husbands are basically allowed to kill their wife, as the wives are assumed to be their property, and so even though it's technically illegal, the government won't interfere because it's considered a family matter, and I'm sure the males of the population aren't anxious to change that. If you think about it, it's not too different than people allowed to procreate and then abusing their kids. How many kids have died at the hands of their parents? Why isn't more effort put forth to prevent this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Do I think some people should not be parents? You betcha.
Do I think there should be a parenting license? No.
Subscribe.

The whole "parenting license" process would become a mockery anyway. Plus you cannot formalize, quantify and evaluate common sense/good parenting.

However, I would support any policy that would create STRONG incentives for people to stop at as few children as possible.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
In a perfect world if something like this were put into effect, everyone who answered Yes in this poll should be subject to the screening while those who answered No can continue to be free people (as free as you can be these days anyway).

Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Subscribe.

The whole "parenting license" process would become a mockery anyway. Plus you cannot formalize, quantify and evaluate common sense/good parenting.

However, I would support any policy that would create STRONG incentives for people to stop at as few children as possible.
Exactly. In a nutshell.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You should check again. We are NOT a democracy, certainly not for things of this nature. We are a republic.
Yes. You are right. I wonder when the word democracy will become synonymous with republic in one of its definitions based in common usage. Not sure what you mean about things of this nature.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
There should be a mental stability/good morale exam .
How about basic command of the language? Shouldn't THAT be a requirement? Who is to judge good moral character? It is funny to see folks speaking about the stripping of very basic freedoms like control over ones own body when presumably referring to someone ELSE. I am guessing that if it were YOU that was going to be sterilized by force, undergoing a risky surgical procedure, you would be howling.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 AM

74 posts, read 136,651 times
Just bc someone has a bad past doesnt make them a worse parent than someone with a clean past. The person with the bad past could have learned from his/her mistakes and be a wonderful person, while the person witht he clean past could be a total whack job. This is only one example of why a liscense is just absurd.

Also, this would mean that all babies will have to be planned. Im not saying that planning is a bad idea, just that surprises end up being the most amazing things in the world and those should not be eliminated.

I worry about the children of those who support a "parenting liscense". Societal expectations have become out of hand and, well I think, not necessarily the "american dream.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Subscribe.

No, but you CAN point out those who will definitely make bad parents - anyone with a history of child abuse or neglect or heavy drug users with no intention to stop is NOT going to make a good parent. It's not an issue of deciding who will make a good parent - just trying to weed out at least some percentage of the obviously bad ones.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
No, but you CAN point out those who will definitely make bad parents - anyone with a history of child abuse or neglect or heavy drug users with no intention to stop is NOT going to make a good parent. It's not an issue of deciding who will make a good parent - just trying to weed out at least some percentage of the obviously bad ones.
And then what? You sterilize them?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Wow. So you apparently don't believe people can change? I've seen my share of people I would never have thought capable of parenting grow up and become great parents. As well as a few I'd have thought would make great parents, fail miserably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting