Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

I don't know any parent whose child hasn't done a little aesthetic modification either to their own hair, or to a friend or sibling. I remember thinking that my child would never do something like that. The first time I found a pair of scissors and a large clump of hair hidden, all I could do was laugh, and I vowed I wouldn't fix it, she was going to have to live with her styling choice.

This was too cute not to share:

Public Radio Reporter Interviews His Two Little Girls After One Gives the Other the 'Worst Haircut Ever'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
That was hilarious Zimbo. Those little girls were extremely well spoken for their ages too! Favorite part : "I hid the hair under the radiator".

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Ha!!

We have had 2 episodes of the self appointed hair stylist. Luckily she cut in the cutest bangs.

Her preschool teacher said that everyone has that episode at least once, sometimes in the classroom.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
This brings back one of my scariest parenting memories.

We had just moved into our new house and I was busy unpacking. My 2-year-old was napping and my 4-year-old was playing in her room.

At one point I turned to grab a pair of scissors to open a box and realized they were missing. At the same time, it dawned on me that my 4-year-old had been unusually quiet. I ran upstairs and found her in her sister's crib giving her little sister a haircut.

My 2-year-old had pretty curls and my 4-year-old was jealous of the attention they got. So, she just started chopping them off. Luckily I got there before she was bald.

It looked horrible, but there was nothing I could do, but wait for it to grow out. Meanwhile, my mother in law admonished me for not hiding the scissors. "What if she had killed her sister," she said, as if I didn't feel horrible enough.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
Hey, as a two year old, I was an excellent self-stylist. Don't let my parents claim otherwise! Hahahaha.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I once cut my own eyelashes with pinking shears and deny it to this day.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
That was super cute, Zimbo. When my eldest was in first grade, she shaved off half an eyebrow with one of my leg razors. And when I was a kid, I decided I didn't like a cowlicky piece of my bangs (which I still have), and I cut it all the way down to the scalp. Solved!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I used to do this fairly regularly as a kid - I'd cut my hair, my sibling's hair, my friend's hair, my hair again. I never learned to do it right, either. And still... other kids frequently sat still for me while I did it. My mom usually erred on the side of abuse, but with my hairstyling efforts, she usually was too busy laughing. After the first time I did it to the siblings (no, I was not the oldest), she told my older sister she not only deserved it, but her friends were idiots for allowing me to cut their hair- after watching me chop my sister's. Several times, no less. After I turned 9 or so, no one let me do their hair any longer, so I only had my own to mutilate... what was I THINKING?!

I do remember the first time though - I was 4, had just come home from kindergarten to an empty house (mom and younger sibs were usually there, don't remember why they weren't that day), so I made myself a sandwich and then decided I was too hot, so I cut off my bangs. To the scalp.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Ha ha! I love the reason she gave for cutting it!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Hilarious!!!!

My oldest was bald as a cantaloupe, then when she finally grew shoulder length strawberry blonde hair, she barbered herself, cutting out chunks, and then hid them - in the toy box, under the bed, in her dresser drawers. I didn't think those plastic kid scissors could cut hair! She was 3 years old.

I finished the job, evened it out by giving her an all around pixie/bob. It looked kind of cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting