Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,615,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
But the Maasai are in a protein deprived area, so the risk of drinking raw milk would be offset by the reality of malnutrition. I've seen pro-raw milk sites uses the Maasai as an example of why raw milk is safe, which strikes me as completely missing the reality of life in those areas.
Really? That's ridiculous as the Maasai have one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world, anywhere between 150 and 300 per 1,000 live births depending on the region (US is 6). Maasai infants are not acknowledged until they are 3 months old due to the high death rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,821,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Over the past several weeks we have started to weed out processed food and our the majority of our food from local farmers. It has been great seeing our food bill go down while our health goes up. The food quality from our local farmers and farmers market is so much better and we get a lot more for our money compared to what we were getting at our local grocery stores.

We are starting to make things from scratch that my son misses such as pop tarts to show him that he can still have foods he loves, in moderation, and in a much more healthier way. He LOVES going to the farmer's and learning about their lives and is really into eating more healthier too.

Anyway, I found a few places that are licensed to sell raw milk. I wanted to try to make my own butter- husband said it can't be beat when it is made from milk right from the cow. Since we will be looking into buying cream at the dairy, was going to try some raw milk.

I know there is controversy about raw milk- which I don't understand. It is in its most natural form when straight from the cow and way back when, milk wasn't always pasteurized like it is today. What I am wondering though, since my young son has only had pasteurized milk (me as well, but not worried about me), will making a 100% switch over cause any stomach issues? Should we do it half and half for awhile at first? Does it really need to be cultured with a tablespoon of store bought buttermilk first and fermented before allowing him to drink it like I have heard some people say elsewhere?

Thank you for any tips if you have made the switch for you and your family
I drink raw yogurt drinks but not raw milk. I did notice that it caused an almost immediate case of stomach distress the first two times I drank it. But as it is the tastiest thing I have ever had (and I had bought a case of it) I still had some, just less of it. Now I have no reaction to it at all. I think it was just a matter of getting used to it. I have used "low pasteurization/non-homogenized milk" without ill effects.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 AM

14,508 posts, read 14,488,784 times
Quote:
I drink raw yogurt drinks but not raw milk. I did notice that it caused an almost immediate case of stomach distress the first two times I drank it. But as it is the tastiest thing I have ever had (and I had bought a case of it) I still had some, just less of it. Now I have no reaction to it at all. I think it was just a matter of getting used to it. I have used "low pasteurization/non-homogenized milk" without ill effects.
That's fine and maybe you'll never get sick. However, its unclear to me what your point is. Is your point simply that you personally have never had ill effects from raw milk? Or is your point that everyone ought to try what you did because they are unlikely to get sick too? If you are making the first statement, I might just call your behavior unwise and let it go at that. My concern is that posts like these lead unsuspecting people to believe there is nothing wrong with drinking unpasteurized milk when, in fact, those who drink unpasteurized milk are 150 X more likely to make themselves and their families sick as those who don't.

Food borne illness is not a joke and too many people treat it lightly. Food borne illness can kill or put you in the hospital. That's why is more than just a matter of personal choice.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM

833 posts, read 1,720,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
That's fine and maybe you'll never get sick. However, its unclear to me what your point is. Is your point simply that you personally have never had ill effects from raw milk? Or is your point that everyone ought to try what you did because they are unlikely to get sick too? If you are making the first statement, I might just call your behavior unwise and let it go at that. My concern is that posts like these lead unsuspecting people to believe there is nothing wrong with drinking unpasteurized milk when, in fact, those who drink unpasteurized milk are 150 X more likely to make themselves and their families sick as those who don't.

Food borne illness is not a joke and too many people treat it lightly. Food borne illness can kill or put you in the hospital. That's why is more than just a matter of personal choice.

---150x more likely to make themselves and their families sick---
If an adult is informed of those odds and still drink raw milk..........their decision.

However, if as a parent, they provide raw milk, they should be charged with child endangerment as they couldn't care less about dangers to their children.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,482,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is actually what is available in our market.

I absolutely love it. I've never tasted milk so creamy and delicious! I make my own yogurt and some cheeses from it as well and YUM!

I've never had any issues with it whatsoever. However, I do not give it to anyone else - I just drink it myself (well, my husband drinks it as well). I would not give it to people who weren't aware it's raw (or nearly raw) milk.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 AM

372 posts, read 459,174 times
Well, I couldn't weed my way through all the huff to get to the end, but to answer the original question, yes, we switched to raw milk, unprocessed food as well 1.5-2 years ago. The health benefits have been astounding! Injuries heal in a matter of days vs. the weeks. Colds (if we get them at all) run their course in a few days. Clearer thinking, no hand or body tremors, more energy...

Now specifically about raw milk. That was our first real change. Prior to drinking raw, one of our children had some food issues that concerned us. She would only eat things like mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, plain bread and would only drink milk if made to do so. After switching to raw milk, her appetite radically switched. We were going through eight gallons of milk a week (family of six). If you have the abiliby, I do recommend that you visit the farm the milk comes from. If they are a good dairy, they will be more than willing for you to come and see how they do business and how clean their process is. There are some out there that are only in it for the money and will cut corners and you will see that when you visit.

We will never go back to pasteurized again.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 764 times
Default Throw the seniors over the cliff, raw milk too.

I love raw milk, it actually has taste, not totally bland like pasteurized milk. The case against raw milk is like other tactics that make no sense, just scare everyone and you win your case. I am a veternarian. If you want to drink raw milk, check the farm where the milk comes from. Most problems occur when their is a lack of sanitary conditions at the milking location. So, to allow farmers to have manure and pee all over the barn, and no pasture, just keep the cows penned up in this mess all day and pasteurize the milk. Then the feds and state will allow you to sell it to you and I. What I look for is: the cow(s) on grass all the time. Have they had all the health checks required even if the milk is sold for pet food(right). Is the milking location clean and the milking equipment sanitary. If it meets all these tests, then you are as safe as you can be buying any food item(apples, fish, lettuce, etc). There is far more bacteria on a salad bar in a restaurant or how about that lemon in you tea or water, having been handled with clean? hands.

Pasteurized milk has NONE of the great properties in the enzymes that raw milk has, regardless of what
the FDA says. Test have shown raw milk is a great drink to help your immune system, including allergies. My son is a allergy doctor and there are studies verifying this benefit. The FDA and our fear of natural foods is killing us and making us unhealthy. There are NO allergies in undeveloped countries, none. Why? Because our immune system is not developed. LIke using our muscles, the immune system gets stronger when it fights germs. I don't recommend not taking hygiene precautions, just use good judgement and do some checking.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,449,974 times
I won't comment on the. . .lack of understanding of complex operational effecincies of produce/farming/etc and the disadvantage impact to enviorement of local farming vs. industrial farming and operational. . .

Yet lets talk about pasteurization. Way back when we didn't live very long and lots of kids died. Raw milk. . .can be very dangerous, especially for children. You can buy raw milk then heat to 160 for the desired time to kill bacteria. Or the least impactful to the milk would be to irradiate it. . .killing bacteria but not heating it. . .but people don't do that yet.

The issues of raw milk are ecoli, samonelia, and other things that killed lots of children before pasteuarization and something I would be VERY worried about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Over the past several weeks we have started to weed out processed food and our the majority of our food from local farmers. It has been great seeing our food bill go down while our health goes up. The food quality from our local farmers and farmers market is so much better and we get a lot more for our money compared to what we were getting at our local grocery stores.

We are starting to make things from scratch that my son misses such as pop tarts to show him that he can still have foods he loves, in moderation, and in a much more healthier way. He LOVES going to the farmer's and learning about their lives and is really into eating more healthier too.

Anyway, I found a few places that are licensed to sell raw milk. I wanted to try to make my own butter- husband said it can't be beat when it is made from milk right from the cow. Since we will be looking into buying cream at the dairy, was going to try some raw milk.

I know there is controversy about raw milk- which I don't understand. It is in its most natural form when straight from the cow and way back when, milk wasn't always pasteurized like it is today. What I am wondering though, since my young son has only had pasteurized milk (me as well, but not worried about me), will making a 100% switch over cause any stomach issues? Should we do it half and half for awhile at first? Does it really need to be cultured with a tablespoon of store bought buttermilk first and fermented before allowing him to drink it like I have heard some people say elsewhere?

Thank you for any tips if you have made the switch for you and your family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting