Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:05 AM

79 posts, read 241,778 times

Advertisements

First of all a disclaimer - With this post I seek advice/inputs from parents and I really don't want this to turn into a religious war.

A little background - My wife and I are young couple (in early 30's) and we've a 15 months old daughter (only child). We both are from India and practice Hinduism. We have been living in the United States for quite a long time (9 years) and are very open minded. My wife is currently SAHM but is looking for job. We're also looking for pre-school or day cares with MDO's so that our daughter gets familiar with day care and also my wife gets some time to look for job.

We've came across a few good pre-schools and as you know most of the good ones are in Church. I am not familiar with the curriculum in the pre-school's at Churches. I assume that at some point there would be some Biblical education. This is not a problem at all. The problems comes up with my dilemma if I would be imposing any confusion in LO's mind just when she is learning to learn. Since we'll like her to practice Hinduism yet would like her to have an open mind to understand all the religions and learn the good things about it. I think that it will be a good learning opportunity for her but at the same time I am afraid that if it'll be too early for her.

I know this is a sensitive issue and probably there can be an in depth discussion on various aspects of my statements but I am not seeking any of those at this time and I would like to know what other parents think or feel about this situation.

Last edited by itsshanks; 08-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
There are church-based preschools, and then there are religious church-based preschools. Most are the former. I would't worry about it. My daughter attended one, and we are not church-goers. In her year were many Hindu kids, and a Muslim kid.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,154 times
I live in a very agnostic/atheist area and a lot of parent send their kids to the local Catholic preschool b/c it's topnotch in education. Kids are exposed to Catholic beliefs, but the religion is not imposed and non-Catholics can opt out of the daily chapel services. I'd ask to see if the Christian school you're considering is similar or if your child would be required to participate in activities you would consider offensive.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the information. I didn't know if there was an option of attending the services. Again, attending a service wouldn't offend me by any means. I would think that my kid would learn something about other religion.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:56 AM

606 posts, read 943,814 times
I am not Jewish, but my daughter attended a Jewish preschool for a couple years. It was not a problem at all. Zimbochick is right: as long as their goal isn't "soul-winning" or indoctrination, it should be fine.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Honestly, it depends on what state you are in and what church.

In Evanston, IL, I have no problem with it. In Pearland, TX I have a big problem with the local fundie churches, since they already told my Hindu dil she was going to hell for practicing her religion.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
We wouldn't do it. While we want to expose our children to other religions, we don't believe such a young age is the appropriate time for that.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsshanks View Post
First of all a disclaimer - With this post I seek advice/inputs from parents and I really don't want this to turn into a religious war.

A little background - My wife and I are young couple (in early 30's) and we've a 15 months old daughter (only child). We both are from India and practice Hinduism. We have been living in the United States for quite a long time (9 years) and are very open minded. My wife is currently SAHM but is looking for job. We're also looking for pre-school or day cares with MDO's so that our daughter gets familiar with day care and also my wife gets some time to look for job.

We've came across a few good pre-schools and as you know most of the good ones are in Church. I am not familiar with the curriculum in the pre-school's at Churches. I assume that at some point there would be some Biblical education. This is not a problem at all. The problems comes up with my dilemma if I would be imposing any confusion in LO's mind just when she is learning to learn. Since we'll like her to practice Hinduism yet would like her to have an open mind to understand all the religions and learn the good things about it. I think that it will be a good learning opportunity for her but at the same time I am afraid that if it'll be too early for her.

I know this is a sensitive issue and probably there can be an in depth discussion on various aspects of my statements but I am not seeking any of those at this time and I would like to know what other parents think or feel about this situation.
Are there any hindu based pre schools where you live? And i disagree i have seen plenty of crappy church run preschools.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
All 3 of my kids attended a state-accredited, Methodist church-based preschool in our community. We also are Methodist and attend the church.

They did not have us sign any forms that allowed them to practice "soul winning."

As far as "indoctrination," at our school, all Christian holidays are openly celebrated. The classes did not attend many church services, but they did visit local nursing homes to sing Christmas songs etc. There were no restrictions on God-based songs, like "Jesus Loves Me," etc., crafts, movies etc throughout the year. They also prayed to Jesus before meals.

IMHO, you should visit the schools and ask THEM these questions. if you don't want your child "confused," you may have a tough row to hoe by sending her to a Christian preschool.

I would do this regardless of what religion the school is associated with.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Are there any hindu based pre schools where you live? And i disagree i have seen plenty of crappy church run preschools.
We live in TN and there isn't any Hindu based pre-school. There are Sunday classes in the Hindu temple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting